News:

Christians *have* to sin.
If they don't, it's like Christ died for nothing.

Main Menu

Controlling firearms

Started by the last yatto, July 29, 2010, 07:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Requia ☣

Freedom is scary.  And not at all safe.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Doktor Charley Brown on July 31, 2010, 04:48:33 AM
I am curious as to why so many are interested in restricting freedoms?

To make us all SAFE.  So SAFE, you'll live to 100 wishing you were dead the whole fucking time.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Requia ☣ on July 31, 2010, 05:01:32 AM
Freedom is scary.  And not at all safe.

The second amendment is, in essence, a test that reveals two things:

1.  Are you pro-freedom or pro-safety?

2.  Can you diagram a simple damn sentence?
Molon Lube

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 31, 2010, 06:32:36 AM

To make us all SAFE.  So SAFE, you'll live to 100 wishing you were dead the whole fucking time.

Frankly Dok, as we have discussed, I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

Or Kill Me.

Aucoq

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 31, 2010, 06:32:36 AM

This is one of the greatest posts I've read in a while.  :lulz:
"All of the world's leading theologists agree only on the notion that God hates no-fault insurance."

Horrid and Sticky Llama Wrangler of Last Week's Forbidden Desire.

Adios

A few of us still believe in freedom. Sadly, far too few.

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

WHY ARE YOU TRYIN' TO RESTRICT MY FREEDOM OF RIGHTS TO RESTRICT YOUR FREEDOM OF RIGHTS? DON'T MAKE NO SENSE.
  \
:mullet:
  /
IT IS MY FREEDOM OF RIGHT OF WAY
TO DELIVER ENTIRE RESTRICTICATION UPON YOUR UNSHITTED-IN AIR, UNSHITTED-IN WATER, AND 98% UNSHITTED-IN FOOD
OR GTFO OF AMERICA,

ECO

TERRORIST

SCUMHUMPER.
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 30, 2010, 02:52:39 AM
Quote from: Pēleus on July 30, 2010, 12:04:22 AM
I see it like you need state issued paperwork to drive your car.
Why not for firearms? Having an civilian authority issuing permits membership cards would be eaiser then having a federal database to check for felons or mentally ill. Would provide training and act as a balance incase the army wishes to take them away.

I think we should take away your right to freely associate.

Unless you get a license for each friend.

I like this plan.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Cain

I live in the most heavily armed country in Europe, where there is roughly one gun for every three people owned by the civilian population and militia members are required by law to keep assault rifles in their homes, normally the SIG SG 550.  Violent crime here is virtually unheard of, and the most serious common crime seems to be pickpocketing, in tourist traps.

I think it's the combination of training and easily available firearms that produces the most sensible response.  A conscript army means 2/3rds of the national population have professional military training with firearms.  That means if you start waving a gun around like an idiot, the chances are someone nearby will have the training and means to coerce your standing down.

The problem comes in if you have lots of loudmouth idiots who think having a gun makes them invincible running around, since then their inclination to use it rises greatly.

Don Coyote

guns are scary.

Or to put it another way, "WAAAAA I AM AFRAID I WILL BLOW MY FOOT OFF SO I DON'T OWN A GUN AND THAT BIG GUY WITH THE HUNTING RIFLE SCARES ME BECAUSE HE HAZ ONE AN ISN'T AFRAID OF SHOOTING HIS FOOT OFF. I ALSO THINK HUNTING IS BARBARIC, MEAT SHOULD COME FROM THE STORE IN NEAT PACKAGES!!!!!"

I spent half of my last deployment not allowed to carry more than a single knife on me. People get scared and act like children.

BabylonHoruv

Am I the only person strongly in favor of gun freedoms who doesn't own one?  (and has no intention of owning one, just to make it clear, it's not just because i am poor)
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Adios

Quote from: aedh on July 31, 2010, 09:43:46 PM

guns are scary.

Or to put it another way, "WAAAAA I AM AFRAID I WILL BLOW MY FOOT OFF SO I DON'T OWN A GUN AND THAT BIG GUY WITH THE HUNTING RIFLE SCARES ME BECAUSE HE HAZ ONE AN ISN'T AFRAID OF SHOOTING HIS FOOT OFF. I ALSO THINK HUNTING IS BARBARIC, MEAT SHOULD COME FROM THE STORE IN NEAT PACKAGES!!!!!"

I spent half of my last deployment not allowed to carry more than a single knife on me. People get scared and act like children.

To each their own, just don't try to force your opinion on others.

Kurt Christ

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on July 31, 2010, 09:46:57 PM
Am I the only person strongly in favor of gun freedoms who doesn't own one?  (and has no intention of owning one, just to make it clear, it's not just because i am poor)
I'm in favor of gun rights and don't own one because of money and the fact that I live on a college campus, but intend to rectify that post-school.
Formerly known as the Space Pope (then I was excommunicated), Father Kurt Christ (I was deemed unfit to raise children, spiritual or otherwise), and Vartox (the speedo was starting to chafe)

Requia ☣

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on July 31, 2010, 09:46:57 PM

I don't own one at the moment, and I'm strongly pro gun.  I will probably buy another one though.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Charley Brown on July 31, 2010, 09:57:19 PM
Quote from: aedh on July 31, 2010, 09:43:46 PM

guns are scary.

To each their own, just don't try to force your opinion on others.

Methinks you misunderstood my post.

I think everyone who is not a criminal should be legally allowed to purchase and maintain such arms as they deem prudent and necessary for personal and home defense, as well as sport and subsistence. I believe that, like Dok Howl said, there should be a class offered in high school covering basic safety, marksmanship and weapons maintenance.

I think people who seek to restrict my freedoms because my freedoms scare them are good candidates for serfdom and should be rounded up and forced to the fields and factories for those that refuse to allow their freedoms taken.