News:

It's funny how the position for boot-licking is so close to the one used for curb-stomping.

Main Menu

Controlling firearms

Started by the last yatto, July 29, 2010, 07:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Coyote

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on August 01, 2010, 02:24:13 AM
Quote from: aedh on August 01, 2010, 12:21:38 AM
Or is this where I point out that whining about not being allowed to posses things that you could with a modicum of technical skill you could manufacture on your own and therefore your hyperbolic argument raging against your freedom to own military grade weapons is stupid?

To those of us who don't have much in the way of technical skill, how would you go about manufacturing your own RPGs and small missiles?

Make friends with people who do or get the skill? Community colleges always offer vocational education, and chemistry classes.

Requia ☣

In other words, you have no idea what actually goes into it.   :lulz:
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: aedh on August 01, 2010, 02:26:45 AM
Or is this where I point out that whining about not being allowed to posses things that you could with a modicum of technical skill you could manufacture on your own and therefore your hyperbolic argument raging against your freedom to own military grade weapons is stupid?

To those of us who don't have much in the way of technical skill, how would you go about manufacturing your own RPGs and small missiles?

Make friends with people who do or get the skill? Community colleges always offer vocational education, and chemistry classes.

Well yes, obviously step one is "learn how to make a small missile."  What's after that?  How do you steer the missile?  How do you set the detonator to go off at the appropriate altitude / distance from an object, but not on the way up?  What explosive do you use for the warhead that can be made with easily available chemicals and doesn't go off if you drop it on your foot?  The engineering behind the V-2 was no small feat.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Bruno

Formerly something else...

Don Coyote

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on August 01, 2010, 02:44:43 AM

Well yes, obviously step one is "learn how to make a small missile."  What's after that?  How do you steer the missile?  How do you set the detonator to go off at the appropriate altitude / distance from an object, but not on the way up?  What explosive do you use for the warhead that can be made with easily available chemicals and doesn't go off if you drop it on your foot?  The engineering behind the V-2 was no small feat.

Learn math?

Or settle for simple line of sight missiles.

The Johnny

Throwing a soda can into a pigeon, can be considered "launching a missile" by the loosest definition.

But usually a missile is considered a dirigible projectile.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Requia ☣

Quote from: aedh on August 01, 2010, 02:26:45 AM

You used to be able to just buy large solid fuel rocket engines for hobbyist purposes, which simplifies things a bit.

That's something else they don't allow anymore.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: aedh on August 01, 2010, 03:28:42 AM

Learn math?

Or settle for simple line of sight missiles.

Like what, thrown rocks?  The idea here is to get something more dangerous than a compound crossbow with a lit firecracker taped to the end of the bolt.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Adios

This clown is a troll. Please act accordingly.

the last yatto

Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

Adios

Cain

Actually, you can use the graphics card from a Playstation 3 to target a missile.

That's how Hezbollah made their own UAVs.  Cost them, IIRC, under $2000 to get the flying robot of death up and running.  Which, when you consider it costs the Pentagon roughly $3 million, is pretty good value for money.

Eartha-ly Delights

Quote from: Doktor Charley Brown on July 31, 2010, 06:44:29 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on July 31, 2010, 06:32:36 AM
Quote from: Doktor Charley Brown on July 31, 2010, 04:48:33 AM
I am curious as to why so many are interested in restricting freedoms?

To make us all SAFE.  So SAFE, you'll live to 100 wishing you were dead the whole fucking time.

Frankly Dok, as we have discussed, I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees.

Or Kill Me.

I live in Australia, where the gun laws are so restrictive that only the filth and violent criminals and a very few licensed professional hunters or gun club members have access to them. I don't feel very safe.

Ever since they staged a massive disarming of the population (called a gun buy-back) in the 1990's, the rate of gun crime has done nothing but escalate. Along with its subsidiary industries.  There is now a thriving black market in arms and ammunition. The drug trade and the illegal gun trade are run by the same people. The cops are taking big  money to let it happen. In the past gun crime in Australia was restricted to organised crime and bank robberies. Not any more.  Smash and grab artists are now often tooled up. In the past they used bricks and iron bars. Now it's Uzis and shotguns.

And cops shoot you if you look at them oddly. Especially if they've been told you're suffering from a mental illness. As it's highly unlikely that a law abiding mental patient will have access to a gun dealer, very few of them turn out to be packing anything more lethal than a potato peeler and pair of safety scissors. As a result tragically few filth are harmed in the process of such confrontations. I do believe they consider it a form of in-field target practice. Advanced On the Job training, if you will.

Oh...and feral pigs and wild dogs are running rampant through  native bush, destroying habitat and fauna because so many shooters got regulated out of the sport. And mean while I am not allowed to let off a fire cracker without a license.

Oh....And two of our army officers just got done for selling superannuated Ordinance to Hezbollah.
Say what you will about the Nazis, but no woman ever fantasised about being tied up and ravished by a Liberal Democrat, now did she?
PJ O'Rourke

Sometimes glass glitters more than diamonds because it has more to prove.
Terry Pratchett

The Johnny

Well, one thing is letting have predatory people have guns and one thing is letting certain people with certain mental health problems have guns -althought only people with schizophrenia would be a problem (since the really anti-social and psychopathic get it in the black market anyhow)-.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Adios

Many people seek to restrict many rights and freedoms based on making themselves richer, safer of more comfortable.

These people should die with their organs stuffed in their mouth after they have been forcefully ripped off of their bodies.