News:

Nothing gets wasted around here

Main Menu

Controlling firearms

Started by the last yatto, July 29, 2010, 07:32:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Charley Brown on August 02, 2010, 04:47:29 AM

These people should die with their organs stuffed in their mouth after they have been forcefully ripped off of their bodies.

I disagree. That is a waste of good serfs. If they want to have next to know rights, let them give them away. I am sure I could secure some decent land that I could use some serfs to tend for me.

East Coast Hustle

I've got a feeling you'd be one of the first basement-dwelling fatties to be put to work in the potato fields should that eventuality ever come to pass. :lulz:
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Don Coyote

Quote from: Exit City Hustle on August 02, 2010, 06:44:09 AM
I've got a feeling you'd be one of the first basement-dwelling fatties to be put to work in the potato fields should that eventuality ever come to pass. :lulz:

That's profiling. :argh!:

East Coast Hustle

maybe you should teach me a thing or two with one of your amazing homemade missiles that you don't know how to make.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Don Coyote

Quote from: Exit City Hustle on August 02, 2010, 07:14:01 AM
maybe you should teach me a thing or two with one of your amazing homemade missiles that you don't know how to make.

Or I could just bash your head in with a rock.

Dead is dead right?

You people seem to fixated on stuff that you are told you can't have.

East Coast Hustle

which "you people" are you referring to?

also, you'd have to get out of the basement and get some exercise before you could lift a rock heavy enough to be fatal.

PROTIP: you'll need something heavier than that 2-liter of mountain dew you keep by the keyboard.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Exit City Hustle on August 02, 2010, 07:24:16 AM
which "you people" are you referring to?

also, you'd have to get out of the basement and get some exercise before you could lift a rock heavy enough to be fatal.

PROTIP: you'll need something heavier than that 2-liter of mountain dew you keep by the keyboard.

-yawn-

Triple Zero

Quote from: Cain on July 31, 2010, 04:51:09 PMI live in the most heavily armed country in Europe, where there is roughly one gun for every three people owned by the civilian population and militia members are required by law to keep assault rifles in their homes, normally the SIG SG 550.  Violent crime here is virtually unheard of, and the most serious common crime seems to be pickpocketing, in tourist traps.

I think it's the combination of training and easily available firearms that produces the most sensible response.  A conscript army means 2/3rds of the national population have professional military training with firearms.  That means if you start waving a gun around like an idiot, the chances are someone nearby will have the training and means to coerce your standing down.

The problem comes in if you have lots of loudmouth idiots who think having a gun makes them invincible running around, since then their inclination to use it rises greatly.

Yes. I used to be very anti-gun, it's easy to be in a relatively low-crime country where you aren't allowed guns anyway, if you don't think about it too much. Discussions like these on PD and POEE convinced me otherwise.

I do, however, believe in proper training and licensing. Just like getting a drivers license. Except even moreso, cause if you barely pass your drivers license you still get practice by regular driving, which most people do anyway. While I wouldn't expect someone that barely passed the gun license test to regularly practice at the shooting range in order to brush up, as quickly.

but I don't really understand this argument, Dok (unless I'm really missing the point)

Quote from: Dok
Quote from: PeleusQuote from: Pēleus on July 30, 2010, 20:16:32
Also with national guard who normal provide for the common defence are often deployed overseas with other armed services. Some countries have a draft, I'm merely suggesting a drivers ed course and some community service before you own a weapon.

I'm merely suggesting a drivers ed course and some community service before you can speak your mind.

I see three rights discussed in this quote:

1 to speak your mind
2 to own a gun
3 to drive a car

for number 3 we already need a license, both here and in the US. do you disagree with that? [not saying you do, just asking, as I said, I might be missing your point]

[at the very least, drivers education is useful and necessary in high traffic areas to ensure efficient traffic flow when the economic impact of traffic congestion is bigger than what you'd gain from spending the same amount of tax money on improving the roads themselves]

of course we don't want to license number 1.

so, is needing a license to own a gun more like needing a license to speak your mind, or more like needing a license to drive a car?

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Triple Zero

Quote from: The Great Bovinity on August 01, 2010, 03:28:42 AM
Quote from: Golden Applesauce on August 01, 2010, 02:44:43 AMHow do you set the detonator to go off at the appropriate altitude / distance from an object, but not on the way up?  What explosive do you use for the warhead that can be made with easily available chemicals and doesn't go off if you drop it on your foot?
Learn math?

It's true! I know a LOT of math and I NEVER had a rocket explode on me feet.

(yet)
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Triple Zero on August 02, 2010, 07:45:55 AM
Learn math?

It's true! I know a LOT of math and I NEVER had a rocket explode on me feet.

(yet)

Would this be a success or a failure?

Triple Zero

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on August 01, 2010, 02:44:43 AMHow do you set the detonator to go off at the appropriate altitude / distance from an object, but not on the way up?  What explosive do you use for the warhead that can be made with easily available chemicals and doesn't go off if you drop it on your foot?
Learn math?

Train skill points. Spend XP.

fixed

Don Coyote

Quote from: Triple Zero on August 02, 2010, 07:55:22 AM
Learn math?

Train skill points. Spend XP.
Respec for Siege Ballistics Mastery

fixed

Double fixt

The Johnny

LOLOMGBBQ! Talk about derailing
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

Don Coyote

The Johnny

You going to kill me with a rock too?  :eek:
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner