News:

Can anyone ever be sufficiently committed to Sparkle Motion?

Main Menu

ATTN: LMNO, ECH, and anyone else who cares to weigh in....

Started by AFK, August 02, 2010, 08:26:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

whoopsies wrong sub-forum.  Nevar mind.  So uh, just talk about something....

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Jasper

AFK

I started a new thread in the right sub-forum.  In this thread we can talk about, umm, Whirrled Peas or something. 

Jasper

Adios

Dysfunctional Cunt

WHAT is whirrled pease?

OH WAIT.  D'OH. 

I'm obviously having a brain aneurysm.

:horrormirth:

LMNO

Pæs

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on August 02, 2010, 08:38:48 PM
Thirty-seven, give or take a few ounces.

That is also in direct proportion to the time and location of weighing though!!!

eighteen buddha strike

Quote from: Charley Brown on August 02, 2010, 08:35:18 PM
I am watching Dr. Zhivago.

That is my least favorite Lean film. I mean, I understand that finding passable russians in that era of hollywood may have been difficult, but getting a bunch of british actors to portray russian characters? Alec Guinness, really?

Beautifully shot though. Except, maybe, for that scene when the old woman is running up to the train with the child... and she totally falls under the train. Its not clear in the context of the film what happened to that woman, but what happened is that the actress fell under the train and was killed. I'm not sure if Lean meant to keep the shot in there to prove a point, or just to save some time and money and avoid re-shooting, or what. IMO it seems terribly insensitive and kind of sloppy, but whatever.

Mostly, I just dislike the British cast as russians. Give me Lawrence of Arabia or the Bridge over the River Kwai any day of the week.

The book its based on is great, though.

AFK

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: eighteen buddha strike on August 03, 2010, 06:22:29 PM

That is my least favorite Lean film. I mean, I understand that finding passable russians in that era of hollywood may have been difficult, but getting a bunch of british actors to portray russian characters? Alec Guinness, really?

Beautifully shot though. Except, maybe, for that scene when the old woman is running up to the train with the child... and she totally falls under the train. Its not clear in the context of the film what happened to that woman, but what happened is that the actress fell under the train and was killed. I'm not sure if Lean meant to keep the shot in there to prove a point, or just to save some time and money and avoid re-shooting, or what. IMO it seems terribly insensitive and kind of sloppy, but whatever.

Mostly, I just dislike the British cast as russians. Give me Lawrence of Arabia or the Bridge over the River Kwai any day of the week.

Not to nitpick here, but you'd prefer seeing Alec Guiness in make up portraying an Arabian Prince than act as a Russian?  :lol:

I haven't seen Dr. Zhivago, it was on my list but Netflix was missing it when I was plowing through said list.  Lawrence of Arabia and Bridge over the River Kwai were excellent though.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Adios

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on August 03, 2010, 08:22:19 PM

Not to nitpick here, but you'd prefer seeing Alec Guiness in make up portraying an Arabian Prince than act as a Russian?  :lol:

I haven't seen Dr. Zhivago, it was on my list but Netflix was missing it when I was plowing through said list.  Lawrence of Arabia and Bridge over the River Kwai were excellent though.
Dr. Zhivago is probably my favorite movie.

eighteen buddha strike

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on August 03, 2010, 08:22:19 PM

I suppose it has been quite a while since I've seen Lawrence of Arabia, I liked it a lot when I was younger, not sure if it'd hold up without the nostalgia goggles.

Bridge over the River Kwai I've seen more recently, and still thoroughly enjoy.