News:

By the power of lulz, I, while living, have conquered the internets.

Main Menu

Occams Razor

Started by Adios, August 04, 2010, 04:21:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Telarus

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on August 04, 2010, 05:46:02 AM
Quote from: Charley Brown on August 04, 2010, 04:56:55 AM
Imagine being able to answer the question "Is the universe infinite?"

The observable universe is finite, with a radius of (speed of information) * (age of universe).

How do you square this with Bucky's "Universe is non-simultaneously apprehended," which has ramifications for any single viewpoint, as well as the quality of the multiplicity-of-viewpoints the statement requires?
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Triple Zero

Quote from: Charley Brown on August 04, 2010, 04:32:28 AM
Quote from: Golden Applesauce on August 04, 2010, 04:30:20 AM
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NinetyPercentOfYourBrain

I find the source of your link questionable.

Try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10%25_of_brain_myth

I wasn't assuming you were talking about this, btw.

The basic gist is that we only use (about) 10% of the brain at once, in the sense that it is active. But that 10% is not always the same 10%.

Maybe we're still not using our brains to our full capacity, though. I can't really say. But if it were the case, it would probably be more like how we also don't use our full running capacity all the time. If there are large gains in capacity to be made, I think they'd get you real tired, confused or burnt out, real quick.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

This was said above, but I just wanted to add my take on it.

"Genius" as I think it's being used here, is (to be very broad and general) a deliberate act of cognitive dissonance, to shove two opposite or conflicting ideas together until something new pops out. 

"Insanity" as I think it's being used here, is (to be very broad and general) an involuntary act of cognitive dissonance.

Another way to put it is that in genius, the end result of the dissonance is recognized as an idea or a new perspective, but in insanity, the dissonance is recognized as reality itself.

THIS SENTENCE IS A DISCLAIMER AND AN APOLOGY TO THOSE ON THIS BOARD WHO MAY BE SUFFERING FROM POSSIBLE PSYCHOLOGICAL DIAGNOSES THAT COULD BE CONSTRUED AS "ABNORMAL" AND ARE OFFENDED BY MY USE OF THE WORD "INSANITY".

Golden Applesauce

Quote from: Telarus on August 04, 2010, 07:22:02 AM

The observable universe is finite, with a radius of (speed of information) * (age of universe).

How do you square this with Bucky's "Universe is non-simultaneously apprehended," which has ramifications for any single viewpoint, as well as the quality of the multiplicity-of-viewpoints the statement requires?

I'm not sure what Fuller meant with that statement, but I think I can answer the multiplicity-of-viewpoints part.  The observable universe has a radius of (speed of information) * (age of universe), centered on any point you choose.  So two observers in different locations and/or traveling at different velocities physically live in two different observable universes.  (Weirdly, if person A attempts to communicate this to person B, then when B receives the message the observable universe centered on B will encompass the universe that was around A when he sent the message.)

I'm being far to literal, aren't I?
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Telarus on August 04, 2010, 07:22:02 AM

How do you square this with Bucky's "Universe is non-simultaneously apprehended,"...

"Universe is non-simultaneously apprehended"2

Like that....
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

LMNO

Or, "Bucky was full of shit."

I mean, it's a possibility...

Adios

Ok, Any other ideas why the line between genius and insanity is so fine?

Triple Zero

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on August 04, 2010, 01:17:44 PM
"Insanity" as I think it's being used here, is (to be very broad and general) an involuntary act of cognitive dissonance.

except when you're P3NT4GR4M, I guess :-P

QuoteTHIS SENTENCE IS A DISCLAIMER AND AN APOLOGY TO THOSE ON THIS BOARD WHO MAY BE SUFFERING FROM POSSIBLE PSYCHOLOGICAL DIAGNOSES THAT COULD BE CONSTRUED AS "ABNORMAL" AND ARE OFFENDED BY MY USE OF THE WORD "INSANITY".

FUCK YOU I AM SUFFERING FROM GENIUS
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

Quote from: Charley Brown on August 04, 2010, 03:02:26 PM

Because the action is similar, but the intent is not?

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on August 04, 2010, 03:15:44 PM

It is previously known that highly creative abilities are somewhat more common in people who have familial history of mental illness and thus carry a greater risk of both schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.

So we add genes into the mix as well.

"A lower reading, common to both highly creative people and schizophrenics, may afford a greater richness of thought, less filtering of information and thus the ability to make more associations, in more ways. Thinking outside the box might be facilitated by having a somewhat less intact box."

This seems to back up what you are saying.

this sounds like.....conceptual thinking...letting the mind wander, instead of focusing it.

LMNO

I think the word "intent" isn't quite right.  More like, some people can control, or understand, or separate, or meta-think it, and some people can't, for whatever reason.

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on August 04, 2010, 03:40:12 PM

I think the word "intent" isn't quite right.  More like, some people can control, or understand, or separate, or meta-think it, and some people can't, for whatever reason.

I understood where you were going with it.

So schizophrenics are understood possibly to have uncontrolled conceptual thinking, in turn could autism be the result of uncontrolled linear thinking?

LMNO

I'd be wary of parallels like that; then again, I don't really know enough about autism.  I've had some experience with schizophrenia though (though not personally).

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on August 04, 2010, 03:56:24 PM
I'd be wary of parallels like that; then again, I don't really know enough about autism.  I've had some experience with schizophrenia though (though not personally).

Oh, I am not positing it as fact, merely a possibility. I am still trying to sort through a mountain of information on the subject.

eighteen buddha strike

There is a bit in the Illuminatus trilogy about this subject, as I recall, Carl Jung states that the difference between genius and insanity is comparable to the difference between swimming and drowning.