News:

Bigotry is abound, apprently, within these boards.  There is a level of supposed tolerance I will have no part of.  Obviously, it seems to be well-embraced here.  I have finally found something more fucked up than what I'm used to.  Congrats. - Ruby

Main Menu

Monkeys hate flying squirrels, report monkey annoyance experts

Started by Cain, August 05, 2010, 06:39:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

No, that's really the title of this piece of news.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Science/2010/0730/Monkeys-hate-flying-squirrels-report-monkey-annoyance-experts

And even the subject:

QuoteJapanese macaques will completely flip out when presented with flying squirrels, a new study in monkey-antagonism has found. The research could pave the way for advanced methods of enraging monkeys.

Let me repeat

QuoteThe research could pave the way for advanced methods of enraging monkeys.

QuoteResearchers have observed small monkeys called Japanese macaques going bananas at the sight of a flying squirrel.

This riled-up response is probably just a false alarm, with the monkeys mistaking the squirrel for a predatory bird. On the other hand, male macaques – some of whom give chase and even attack a harmless rodent – might be trying to impress females in their troop.

Although this tough-guy motive was not proved in a new study, "it is possible that adult or sub-adult male monkeys may be 'showing off' their fitness" as potential mates, said Kenji Onishi, an assistant professor of behavioral sciences at Osaka University and lead author of the paper being published in the current issue of the journal Primate Research.

Biologists and psychologists have long studied macaques' complex social interactions for insights into human evolution and behavior.

However, much remains unknown about how macaques get along (or not) with other creatures. Better documentation of such encounters could reveal more about macaque societies as well as that of our shared primate forebears.

"Human evolution occurred alongside primate evolution from a common mammalian ancestor," Onishi told LiveScience. "Therefore, it is important to learn the evolution of primates in understanding the previous steps in human evolution."

Fuck, if I could somehow combine flying squirrels, advanced monkey enragement techniques, pigeons and the Monty Hall Problem, I could stomp this planet flat in a week or less.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Thurnez Isa

Somehow I have this weird feeling this "research" started with a bunch of biology master students getting drunk in their university one Friday night
:lulz:
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Cramulus

Quote from: Cain on August 05, 2010, 06:39:29 PM
QuoteThe research could pave the way for advanced methods of enraging monkeys.

FINALLY!

I feel like I've been wasting my time with the traditional methods.

LMNO

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Monkey-annoyance experts.

Think on that, if you don't already hate your job.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cainad (dec.)

Whomever wrote that was almost definitely giggling uncontrollably as they typed.

Rumckle

QuoteResearchers have observed small monkeys called Japanese macaques going bananas at the sight of a flying squirrel.

:rimshot:
It's not trolling, it's just satire.