News:

Sometimes I rattle the cage and beat my head uselessly against its bars, but sometimes, I can shake one loose and use it as a dildo.

Main Menu

attn alphapance and other kindle/ereader ppls

Started by Triple Zero, August 06, 2010, 06:17:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

http://www.instapaper.com/

is a website that gives you (after instant registration) a bookmarklet* that allows you to collect articles and texts online that you want to read later.

apparently, it saves the URL and also converts them to a just-the-article-please version (no, or little ads), and most improtantly, once you have a bunch of them, you can download them as a bundle in either a Kindle, ePub or "printable" version. (I'd have expected the latter one to be PDF, but it doesn't seem so).

you can also read the articles in the stripped format from the instapaper website so if you don't have an ereader/kindle, it's still useful.

at least, I'm trying it out for now.

note: I don't have a kindle or ereader so I dont know how well that functionality works. I'm just trying it out for the "read later" functionality.

*this is a bookmark that contains javascript, meaning that as you select it from your bookmarks, it *does something* with the current page instead of going to a new website. a useful way to use bookmarklets is to drag them onto one of the toolbars in your browser so you can use them as a function button (in this case a "read later" button).
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

LMNO

Interesting.  I'll try it out, see what happens.

LMNO

Ok, I've got it on my work comp, and I'm going through LessWrong's "Sequences". 

Faust

I'll try this out and tell you what the result is on the sony Ereader.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

Iason Ouabache

Oh cool. It even cuts off comment sections, which I was afraid it would include. Thanks, 000!
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

Placid Dingo

ipod/phone doesn't support it very well BUT they're really good about that and make it easy. After you follow simple steps you can click on the link as a bookmark and it saves it. Only thing I've discovered is you then need to open the file through the instapaper ap BEFORE you leave wifi.
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.

Jasper

Since there's already an ereader thread, I'll just ask here:

I'm considering either getting a kindle dx or prs-900, for the purpose of pdf reading (mostly textbooks).  Anybody here have any firsthand experience with either, that would recommend them?

Requia ☣

The 900's predecessors (I didn't spring for the 900) all handle PDFs wonderfully, the exception being the zoom feature on scans of books, those sometimes work and sometimes don't.  I've heard complaints about the DX's handling of zoom on PDF, might be the same flaw or something else.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.