News:

If it quacks like a sociopath, but also ponders its own sociopathy, it's probably just an asshole.

Main Menu

Hey Suu

Started by Sir Squid Diddimus, August 08, 2010, 06:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Squid Diddimus

You woulda loved the thunderstorms we had this morning.
My whole house was rattling, there were lightning strikes every few seconds right over us and at one point there was a crack so loud and fast that I know it hit near the street.

There were a couple tornadoes in volusia county and some street flooding all over.

It was too loud to sleep through.

Suu

Sounds like a typical summer night in St. Pete to me.

Storms are later this year because of the water temps instead of the typical 4pm deluge, and I noticed in Clearwater they're much milder because most of the moisture buildup is on Tampa Bay and not the Gulf, but we still got those couple killer storms while I was down there. When we drove to St. Pete for the ballgame you could see it on the other side of the bridge, and my sister just went, "Ohh...shit."

It was like driving into a brick wall of water and lightning once we got to like, 38th Ave N. I thought it was awesome, my sister however, did not since she was behind the wheel.  My dad was trying to backseat drive and my brother was going between yelling at my dad to STFU and telling my sister to just watch the lines and keep it slow and straight. Visibility was about oh...3 ft for a good solid 20 minutes, then it stopped when we got to Tropicana Field, as soon as we got inside, it started up again and lightning struck the dome, but the power didn't go out this time.

That storm as well as the one we had a couple nights earlier in which we were put in a tornado warning had over 800 lightning strikes per MINUTE. I wish I had a good camera, because it's downright amazing coming across one of the Bay bridges into a black cloud with dozens of lightning strikes constantly.

Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Sir Squid Diddimus

Yeah the coastal storms are always really neat to watch but the further inland you get the weirder and scarier they get.
There's a lot less water here for lightning to strike and it always hits something. I'm used to em rumbling through in the afternoons and they've been doing that a lot, but not so much in the mornings. This one started super early when it was still dark and didn't let up till about noon.
I'm also not used to lightning being right overhead since it's usually a good couple miles away. There seems to be a track that it likes to follow through the city, but not today boy.
PS- it struck and killed my friend's air conditioner. She is pissed.

Suu

Ugh, that happened to me once...We had central AC too, so we had to wait until they came and replaced the whole outside unit.  :argh!:
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Adios

It is 102 degrees here and a sever t/s is moving in. With the right updraft we could have a very interesting night here in tornado alley.