News:

PD.com: The most patriotic board in America - jointly run by an Australian, an Irishman, a filthy Dutchman, a Canadian and some guy from the West Indies.

Main Menu

Steaming.

Started by Kai, August 09, 2010, 06:08:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kai

I have discovered my rice cooker doubles as a steamer. Thus my vegetable experience is spiking to awesome fairly quickly. Yesterday I tried brussel sprouts for the first time and they were AWESOME. I didn't even add anything to them, just steamed for five minutes. Today I tried kale and it was equally good.

My list of tried or going to try (so far) :

Brussel Sprouts
Kale
Broccoli
Nappa
Bok Choy
Snow Peas
Asparagus

Any additions to that list? I'd love to hear people's tips for steaming, and preparation of vegetables before and after steaming.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Triple Zero

Paksoi (Bok Choy)
Snap Peas / Snow Peas / Mange-tout, and similar peas in the pod
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Steamed Asparagus.  great for a snack. Drizzle with lemon juice and Extra Virgin Olive Oil, cracked black pepper and a fresh parmesan like cheese, serving with Proscuttio or Parma ham if you fancy some salty pr0k goodness, and eat eeeet.

Me and Payne just had some. Only took 3 minutes to steam the asparagus, a minute or so to dress it.

Extra points for some crusty bread to mop up the dressing. Simple and yummy as fuck.

Jenne

Carrots, cabbage...that's all that comes to mind--oh, mushrooms.  :D  Add a bit of soy sauce or something, or minced garlic and salt + pepper...mmm...

Jasper

Quote from: Rainy Day Pixie on August 09, 2010, 07:11:35 PM
Steamed Asparagus.  great for a snack. Drizzle with lemon juice and Extra Virgin Olive Oil, cracked black pepper and a fresh parmesan like cheese, serving with Proscuttio or Parma ham if you fancy some salty pr0k goodness, and eat eeeet.

Me and Payne just had some. Only took 3 minutes to steam the asparagus, a minute or so to dress it.

Extra points for some crusty bread to mop up the dressing. Simple and yummy as fuck.

I like it with gorgonzola too.

Oh, steaming.  Right.

Mandelbroccoli.

Hmm, I just had a sort of crazy idea.  No clue whether it's been done.

Try sweating julienned white onions in the steamer, then sauteeing them for an onion soup.

If you don't want to try it, I will.  Sounds fun.