News:

If words could really hurt you, this forum would be one huge abbatoir.

Main Menu

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ANIME?

Started by BAKAKUN, April 09, 2007, 06:28:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WHAT IS YOUR FAVORITE ANIME?

NARUTO
2 (11.8%)
INUYASHA
2 (11.8%)
YU-GI-OH!
4 (23.5%)
POKEMON
8 (47.1%)
TENCHI MUYO
1 (5.9%)

Total Members Voted: 17

President Television

Quote from: Rumckle on August 10, 2010, 01:34:21 PM
I rather liked Cowboy Bebop.

The problem with a lot of anime (or it might just be popular anime) is that the main character is a well intentioned idiot.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann takes this idea and runs it into the ground. The result is AWESOME.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qym7XbQ7ApE&list=SL

There's even a part after the rebels finally overthrow the oppressive Beastmen where you can see how poorly their newly-established government functions. Really, one character keeps the entire thing afloat, and he almost ends up killing off a sizable portion of the population to keep the rest of the society alive.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Suu

Quote from: Triple Zero on August 10, 2010, 01:12:49 PM
Quote from: Doktor Princess on August 10, 2010, 05:04:15 AM
Anime sucks.

but, but ... Bobobobobobobo is about a kind of samurai cowboy with a blonde afro and who uses his tentacle-like nose-hairs as whips.

I mean, I agree with you on all other instances of anime, but you gotta give me that one.

BO BO BOOOOO!!!!  :mrgreen: I haven't seen that since college. Damn.

Quote from: nekk on August 10, 2010, 05:36:00 AM
FLCL is like the Discordian Anime... It is like a requirement, really. BEWARE THE VESPA!!!  :lulz:

It's pretty standard issue Gainax fare. Look at what Evangelion did. Evangelion is Operation Mindfuck all the way.

Quote from: Iason Ouabache on August 10, 2010, 07:53:14 AM
Yes, this. Also, Shin Chan!!!

I fucking hate Crayon Shin-Chan. I never had the patience for it. Again, something else I saw waaaaaaaay before it came out stateside.

Recent anime has devalued the old fandom. I used to have to order VHS tape fansubs from a black and white flyer I picked up at Jacon, now you can just watch it on the internet. I remember when Anime Nation was a hole-in-the-wall warehouse in Clearwater that I had to beg my dad to drive me to on a Saturday afternoon when I was 16 years old, not a large operation out of Tampa. (I also remember the retail store they had for a few months in St. Petersburg, too.)

Anime used to be that thing I watched that made everyone in high school think I was fucking WEIRD. I have portfolios of bad sketches I did from 1998. Now I just capitalize off of it, and as of my last comic con, I think I'm finally going back to western style art and beating the shit out of kids in masquerades on the master level wearing costumes from stuff they've never heard of because I'm mean.

I can't stand going to Otakon and dealing with 22,000 fat brats bitching that they don't want to spend $5 on a print because I use colored pencil and not Photoshop to color while spending 3 days underground in a goddamn cavern of a convention center in one of the grossest cities of the United States.

The reason I still do Anime Boston is because I'm loyal to the staff and it's my longest running convention appearance to date. Other than that, most anime cons can screw. Bakuretsu was fun up in Vermont, but it was rather juvenile. I made good money though and I wouldn't mind checking it out again when New York Comic Con decides to go back to February where it belongs and not allowing NY Anime Festival to hang onto it's coattails to save it.

I just can't fucking stand the bullshit anymore. What was fun when I was 18 is just annoying at 28. I still have my anime and manga that I LOVE, but I just can't get myself back into the swing of it. It's safe to say that it's finally time to grow up and move on.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Kai

Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on August 11, 2010, 01:26:14 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 09, 2010, 06:56:17 PM
Quote from: Cuddlefish on August 09, 2010, 06:46:06 PM
Akira,

The end of Akira was so bad, I wanted to nuke Hiroshima again.

There is no such thing as good anime.  Period.

Check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1gD8nV8RlPU

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:

And on that note, I give you Moyashimon aka Tales of Agriculture.

Imagine this, will you: What is the coolest power you could ever think of? Lazer eyes? Flight? Superstrength?

No.

If you're a biogeek like me, you'd kill for the ABILITY TO COMMUNICATE WITH MICROORGANISMS. Thus the plot of Moyashimon.

Moyasimon follows the life of Tadayasu Sawaki, a first-year college student at an agricultural university, who has the unique ability to see and communicate with micro-organisms and bacteria. Additionally, these organisms look much different to him, and much larger, than what can be seen under a microscope by normal people. This ability has brought him a bit of fame as when he entered the university, Tadayasu discovered that one of the professors there, Keizō Itsuki, already knew about his gift via Tadayasu's grandfather. Professor Itsuki's coworker Haruka Hasegawa has trouble believing what Tadayasu claims at first, but later comes to accept it. Tadayasu enters the university with his good friend Kei Yūki whose family runs a sake brewery.

The cast includes the main character that can talk with bacteria, his best friend a crossdressing goth lolita, his advisor, a fermentologist adicted to the rancid smells of fermentation, the advisor's postgrad student who constantly dresses like a dominatrix, two other grad students who are the epitome of lazy dirty grad students everywhere, a germophobe neatfreak, and of course, all the little animated microorganisms as pictured above. Every episode includes a sequence on food microbiology as explained by the cartoon microbes, which is fucking EPIC. Exchange microbes with bugs, and THIS IS MY LIFE AS I WISH IT, FOLKS.

And unfortunately, they only made 11 episodes. So sad.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Elder Iptuous

Paprika was pretty good one i saw recently
i liked the old macross series...
i like just about all of the miyazaki movies...

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Iptuous on August 11, 2010, 03:15:35 AM
Paprika was pretty good one i saw recently
i liked the old macross series...
i like just about all of the miyazaki movies...

Miyazaki's son (which, I guess, still makes him Miyazaki) is having his first feature released in the US.

I've seen very few Anime.  Ghost in the Shell, Ninja Scroll (which I own), and Akira, and a handfull of Miyazaki.  I'd have to say his are my favorite.  I think I said this on the boards before, but if the world were to die of acute cute, Ponyo would be its destroyer.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.