News:

Look at the world emptily, and it will gladly return the favor.

Main Menu

blue cheese pasta sauce, suggestions?

Started by Triple Zero, August 12, 2010, 09:58:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

last week I got a piece of fancy blue cheese (I'll check and post what kind later, but the label said it's kinda sharp), for cheap cause it was on its "best-by" date (to which you can safely add a couple of weeks in the case of blue cheese, IMO).

so I'm thinking of making it into a pasta sauce for tonight (that's this afternoon for US ppl), mixing it up with some creme fraiche, garlic and a finely chopped small onion. we also have some walnuts, which I think would combine nicely crumbled over the pasta+sauce, yeah?

but it doesn't feel quite done yet to me, especially lacking in the some-sort-of-vegetable-ish department. not much, it's already flavourful from the cheese, something green perhaps to colour it up a bit?

got any ideas or suggestions?

I have green peas (the little balls) and spinach in the freezer, or perhaps some rucola (aragula)? [except I'd have get get rucola, and I think it's kinda expensive for the little amount you get in a baggie, but it would probably work well]

I also got fresh green peas (the long ones, that you're supposed to cut and cook*)

Oh, and I have bell peppers, a red, a green and a yellow one. Maybe I could cut the green one into small cubes and mix that through? perhaps even without cooking it too much, so it retains a fresh bite?

So it seems I'm already well stocked in the vegetable department :) [I also have a big carrot and a cucumber, but I don't think those will be of much use today].

What shall I do, what shall I do?

oh and as a sidenote, this morning I also figured out the perfect dessert to go with that. I mixed some blueberries (fresh) with some blackberries (frozen), a splash of apple juice and a squirt of lemon juice and a tiny bit of sugar (dunno if it needed that though), which I blended into a most awesome chilled fruit pulp/juice.
thinking of getting a banana and some coconut creamfat (hard block of fatty coconut stuff, used in Indonesian dishes such as Gado Gado, and therefore cheap in our supermarkets) and blending that with some milk. then I can carefully pour those two things into a cocktail glass so you get a yellow/purple layered cloud effect :) I think my girlfriend is going to love it :D maybe put the (peeled) banana into the freezer for an hour or so, in order to make everything extra chilled.

* what are the proper names for these things in English btw? I never know how to distinguish between the little balls and the version where you use the entire pod.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

maphdet

Peas in a pod or pea-pods (in the long form) and the little ball are just called peas, as far as I know.

Now for the pasta dish-Typically I usually use Rapini or Broccoli to mix with pasta-but I have never used Blue Cheese.
Not sure how well the rapini would mix with blue cheese. It probably will be good but if your not up for an experiment meal, I think the best bet would be the spinach.

The cucumber and carrot with maybe a little bit of raisins and some red onion would make a nice easy side salad. Maybe?

Btw-that dessert sounds numnum.

Sounds like you are going to have a Lush dinner-Enjoy!

I wish I was in Tijuana
Eating barbequed iguana-

Triple Zero

Well, time to get shopping. I think I'm gonna use the green bell pepper, as I don't think I'll be able to find rapini, or "raapstelen" as we call them, in my nearby supermarket.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Eater of Clowns

Is the cheese gorgonzola?

Anyway, bleu cheese sauces are good with asparagus in them when I've had them.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.