News:

PD.com - you don't even believe in nihilism anymore

Main Menu

Psychedelics question

Started by Dalek, August 13, 2010, 09:52:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dalek

Ok, so I really want to try shrooms, LSD and MDMA(all of them mainly out of curiousity), but I have a problem. My dad has a mild case of schizophrenia, my aunt is a total schizophrenic and his mother also had schizophrenia. My cousins(aunt's children) are ok, and they've done drugs. I've smoked really potent pot, and in Amsterdam I ate space-cake and it was great - no side effects. What are the risks of different drugs to trigger schizophrenia for me?

AFK

Some recent research suggests that there is a link between marijuana use and schizophrenia. 

http://www.schizophrenia.com/sznews/archives/003851.html

There is also some research that suggests LSD and other hallucinogenics can be linked to schizophrenia in those who are vulnerable to the disease. 

http://www.schizophrenia.com/newsletter/buckets/drugs.html

Given your family history, I think you'd be taking a significant risk getting involved with any of these drugs.  Now, as a professional in the field of substance abuse prevention I would advise you to stay away from these drugs anyway.  But given your concern about schizophrenia and again the family history, I think it would be especially important that you abstain. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Dalek

Can marijuana still trigger problems if I don't smoke regularry? I mean about 3-4 times a year. Also thanks for the info :]

BadBeast

Quote from: DALEKK on August 13, 2010, 09:52:54 AM
Ok, so I really want to try shrooms, LSD and MDMA(all of them mainly out of curiousity), but I have a problem. My dad has a mild case of schizophrenia, my aunt is a total schizophrenic and his mother also had schizophrenia. My cousins(aunt's children) are ok, and they've done drugs. I've smoked really potent pot, and in Amsterdam I ate space-cake and it was great - no side effects. What are the risks of different drugs to trigger schizophrenia for me?
Pretty minimal. Mushroom season really soon, I'd suggest starting there, get a couple of hundred mushies down you, and see how it goes.
MDMA is pretty much guaranteed not to cause schizophrenia, and probably does more to purge your psyche of Neuroses in one crazy night, than four years of Psychoanalysis.
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

AFK

Quote from: DALEKK on August 13, 2010, 11:14:13 AM
Can marijuana still trigger problems if I don't smoke regularry? I mean about 3-4 times a year. Also thanks for the info :]

It's pretty unlikely.  I think the studies look more at regular and heavy use. 

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on August 13, 2010, 11:59:19 AM

dont become a regular smoker and in theory you SHOULD be fine... but steer away from the stronger strains just in case.

From personal experience I used shrooms and pot extensively and now have a mild but persistant psychosis issue, and my family history is similar. if you start to get any auditory hallucinations do not continue to use said substance.

Nephew Twiddleton

Also take your age into consideration. As I understand it schizophrenia is most likely to happen between the ages of 15 and 25. I also read something recently that suggests that it's caused by activating a retrovirus encoded in our DNA. Same retrovirus that apparently causes MS.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

AFK

In general, the longer you put off the initiation of drug use the better.  We see that kids who start drug use at 12 and 13, and become addicted, a) have a much harder time recovering and becoming clean and b) are more likely to have long-term, lingering impacts. 

The more and more we learn about brain and brain development, it's become pretty clear to me that the less you mess with it during the formative years of adolescence, the better.  And the reality adolescence lasts longer than we knew, in terms of brain development.  Your brain is still developing and establishing its wiring, if you will, into age 25 if not beyond. 

I highly advise not messing with that chemistry during that time if you can avoid it. 

Kai

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on August 13, 2010, 01:25:46 PM
In general, the longer you put off the initiation of drug use the better.  We see that kids who start drug use at 12 and 13, and become addicted, a) have a much harder time recovering and becoming clean and b) are more likely to have long-term, lingering impacts. 

The more and more we learn about brain and brain development, it's become pretty clear to me that the less you mess with it during the formative years of adolescence, the better.  And the reality adolescence lasts longer than we knew, in terms of brain development.  Your brain is still developing and establishing its wiring, if you will, into age 25 if not beyond. 

I highly advise not messing with that chemistry during that time if you can avoid it. 

And furthermore, the brain never is set in a particular network. The synapses are constantly moving, strengthening, weakening, reacting to changes in the environment. So, there is risk for people older than 25 as well. The question is, of course, when does the risk decline to the level of other sorts of psychosomatic trauma?
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Apikoros II

Whoah----Nephew Twiddleton can you post the link to that MS Retrovirus article? I have MS, and I smoked starting at a young age.... I am quite curious. As regards the original poster, and questions I have have about narcotic use I go to http://www.erowid.org/
I also believe that everything is false, even that statement and the one above it. Also, when you look into the abyss the abyss looks into you. Heck, the abyss sometimes winks and once it gave me the finger.

BadBeast

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on August 13, 2010, 01:25:46 PM
In general, the longer you put off the initiation of drug use the better.  We see that kids who start drug use at 12 and 13, and become addicted, a) have a much harder time recovering and becoming clean and b) are more likely to have long-term, lingering impacts.  

The more and more we learn about brain and brain development, it's become pretty clear to me that the less you mess with it during the formative years of adolescence, the better.  And the reality adolescence lasts longer than we knew, in terms of brain development.  Your brain is still developing and establishing its wiring, if you will, into age 25 if not beyond.  

In my experience, that isn't always true. The worst, most rapidly spiralling and horribly predictable Drug centred collapses into the gutters of oblivion that I've seen, have been when previously straight, TV Licence buying, hard working & law abiding Citizens, get to their mid-thirties, or early forties, and then discover Drugs.
I knew a Gunner Sergeant, in the Royal Artillery, exemplary record, and prospects, 5 tours of N Ireland under his belt, with 3 kids and a Wife. A Career Soldier. He went to a Club one night, and someone gave him some speed. Which he liked. And introduced his Wife to it, too. Then it was augmented with ecstacy pills at the weekends, regular partying, and then he met up with Cocaine. Within 8 months, it was a debacle of gargantuan proportions. He was off work for 'depression', smoking Crack all day long, then busted for class A's, Thrown into Colchester by the Army, divorced, then DD'd at the end of his 2 year sentence, losing a 6 figure pension.

After release, he discovered Heroin, Organised Crime, got back with his Wife, (who was in a similar state of decline) both with massive smack and crack habits, really giving it a commited, whole hearted lifestyle embrace. It finally impacted in a huge crime ring bust, Crown Court, more Prison, and kids in care.

To be fair, after this 'mid life crisis' as he puts it, lasting about 5 years, he sorted his shit out, works as a steelfixer, doesn't take drugs anymore, (except for the ubiquitous "bit of weed")and is much more philosophical about life.  

And his example is far more common than you'd  think. The later that someone gets exposed to these drugs and the lifestyle, the harder they try to make up for lost time. They have no experience with which to build any sense of restraint, and usually they have completely bottomed out in a couple of years. Their matching age group of users, who were exposed at a younger age, have got 20-25 years of resources, connections, & experience to fall back on, and have a far less chaotic lifestyle  in comparison.    
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

AFK

Well sure, there are adults who start using drugs in their adult years, but it really isn't that common when looking at the entire spectrum.  The exception, as you will see, is Rx drugs but in many cases the addiction of Rx drugs in adults starts from a legitimate prescription for a legitimate health issue.  Here is the average age of first use for the following drugs as of 2008:

Prescription drugs (ranges from 15.9 years for sedatives to 21.6 years for tranquilizers)
Cocaine:  19.8 years
Crack cocaine: 19.8 years
Ecstasy: 20.3 years
Heroin: 23.4 years (this one is a bit higher but I think it is partly linked to access)
LSD: 18.4 years
Marijuana: 17.8 years
Meth: 19.2 years
Alcohol: 16.8 years
inhalants: 15.9 years
tobacco: 17.4 years

So, as you can see, the norm really is youth and young adults. 

My point was about brain and brain development.  I think what you are talking about is the impact on the body of an older adult.  And it certainly is true that a young person's body is going to be more resilient than a 40 year old.  But when we are talking about the brain, damage that occurs while it is still developing, depending on the severity, can last into adulthood. 

I would advocate not initiating in drug use at all.  But in terms of the brain, the later it starts the "better" for longterm brain health. 

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Apikoros II on August 13, 2010, 01:51:25 PM
Whoah----Nephew Twiddleton can you post the link to that MS Retrovirus article? I have MS, and I smoked starting at a young age.... I am quite curious. As regards the original poster, and questions I have have about narcotic use I go to http://www.erowid.org/

Here you go. The focus is on schizophrenia, but I found the MS part to be interesting, since an acquaintance of mine also has it.
http://discover.coverleaf.com/discovermagazine/201006/?pg=62#pg60
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Triple Zero

However, if you ever experience something that can be likened to a psychotic experience, stop immediately and don't touch it again.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

AFK

Quote from: Triple Zero on August 13, 2010, 03:35:59 PM

However, if you ever experience something that can be likened to a psychotic experience, stop immediately and don't touch it again.

Yes indeed!