News:

PD.com: The culmination of the 'Ted Stevens Plan'

Main Menu

Fear, Loathing, and Horror.

Started by Doktor Howl, August 13, 2010, 06:44:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fujikoma

So, if it forces me to unlearn something, this means the appropriate response is horror?... Sure, I get a little ticked about the inconvenience, but I've gotten pretty used to it by now... Still, the fear of the unknown does seem to strike some people rather deeply.

Rereading the stuff I've written, or observing my older drawings always gives me this sick feeling, it's something I prefer not to do... I suppose the concept of death is quite unpleasant, but it doesn't scare me as much as the possibility of being maimed for the rest of my life. I suppose that's as close to "horror" as I get these days, except for the occasional spooky phantom (or ghost, or whatever) sighting, or glowing eyes in the dark. Change is the only thing I've found to be a constant in life, and for ghosts, there are cats (who's eyes have odd reflective properties and freak me out a little anyway).

Also, telephone calls to or from relatives almost always result in a deep sense of dread. It's not that I don't like them, I just don't like the things they often want to talk to me about.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Fujikoma on December 27, 2010, 01:59:17 PM
So, if it forces me to unlearn something, this means the appropriate response is horror?... Sure, I get a little ticked about the inconvenience, but I've gotten pretty used to it by now... Still, the fear of the unknown does seem to strike some people rather deeply.

Horror != Fear != Loathing.

Goddammit.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Adios

My shrink told me I was abused as a child!
Horror + Fear + Loathing.

I just found out my shrink lied to get a grant!
Horror + Fear + Loathing.

The Good Reverend Roger

!= means "does not equal".

Just saying.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

Adios

Epimetheus

Quote from: Mind King on December 27, 2010, 03:24:07 AM
I know that.  I mean that the terms fear and horror are jumbled back and forth in the media without regard to what they mean.  It's just kind of funny to me.

I think what you mean is that as a member of the movie audience, "horror" does not apply to your experience, because you are just watching what you know is fiction.
But horror movie means that the events in the movie are horror-filled. And the victims experience horror.
That justifies the use of the term to me.

ETA: Of course, most "horror movies" would more accurately be called "fear movies," by the definitions in the OP.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Epimetheus on December 27, 2010, 09:24:51 PM
I know that.  I mean that the terms fear and horror are jumbled back and forth in the media without regard to what they mean.  It's just kind of funny to me.

I think what you mean is that as a member of the movie audience, "horror" does not apply to your experience, because you are just watching what you know is fiction.
But horror movie means that the events in the movie are horror-filled. And the victims experience horror.

No, they experience fear.

I, on the other hand, experience loathing by watching those cinematic horse droppings.

Adios

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 27, 2010, 09:26:16 PM
I know that.  I mean that the terms fear and horror are jumbled back and forth in the media without regard to what they mean.  It's just kind of funny to me.

I, on the other hand, experience loathing by watching those cinematic horse droppings.

I must admit I am a B horror movie nut.  :cry:
Pray for me.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Charley Brown on December 27, 2010, 09:30:59 PM

Pray for me.

Oh dear Gods Charley, you and I hold something in common....

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Adios

Quote from: Ratatosk on December 27, 2010, 09:34:31 PM

Pray for me.

Damn. Is it 2012 yet?  :lulz:

The Good Reverend Roger

Pray for me.

Oh, I'm down with "Night of the Lepus" and "Them", but I find the various "Friday the Thirteenth, Part XXXIV" chop flicks to be devoid of any valuable content, Buldada-wise or not.

Adios

Quote from: Ratatosk on December 27, 2010, 09:34:31 PM

Pray for me.

Bad Sci-fi is also a favorite. Every time I stop on the sy-fy channel Terri moans. For a very short time I thought it was turning her on.

Kansai

I'm not a fan of the more recent horror flics.  It's not because I'm scared of them (I'm scared, regardless).  It's just that there's no structure.  It's just a long quiet pause with some bloody child jumping out of a closet screaming his or her head off.  I mean some movies, like Frailty and Creepshow (creepshow isn't scary, but the concepts in the story is) had something that I would say are, without hesitance to say, scary.  We need better horror movies.

50 suspence scenes != 1 good horror movie.

Kudos, Roger, for speaking my language.

Phox

Roger speaks the universal language of hate.

LMNO