News:

News:  0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765 10946 17711 28657, motherfuckers.

Main Menu

What is creative disorder?

Started by Cosine 5, August 16, 2010, 11:17:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phox

Quote from: Burns on August 23, 2010, 07:20:26 AM
That sounds like a good observation.  Sort of like how we seem to place significance on that which is foreground in each of our 'perspectives' rather than background. Then "forget" that implicit inseparability between foreground/background and play a game with ourself that one side is somehow more 'significant'.

Which may or may not get someone into some serious trouble, but it's generally pretty funny when it does.   :fnord:

Exactly. If we overlook the other part of the equation, problems begin to multiply. While it is true that it's all Chaos, you run the risk of oversimplifying it and become complacent and/or "forgetting" that there are opposing forces at work within Chaos. At least, that's how I see it.

LMNO

Quote from: Cosine 5 on August 21, 2010, 01:36:03 AM
Another question. If order is an illusion, then what is science?

The Universe doesn't have to follow mathematical laws, but somehow it does. And science works... it can't be an illusion.

Oddly enough, I was talking with an eminent physicist over my holiday.  We were talking about something like this, but in a different manner, and he said something to this effect (paraphrasing):

The laws of nature work very well when we're trying to predict future events.  Things seem to behave in the manner we want them to.  However, when we get very, very small, the only way we can figure out what happened at a certain time is to go and look.  There is no way to accurately predict exactly what will happen due to the very nature of the stuff.

So in the end, even science breaks down, and only the moment remains.  Rather poetic, I think.

Stelpa

Yeah, Destruction and Creativity don't need to be treated as polar opposites. I can break a wishbone, and hey, I just created two wishbone-pieces, so it sort of counts as a sort of creation, or at least a changing. All creation is is putting things in an way that is appealing to the human brain, though modern art attempts to break even that, so really, by changing anything, you can call it being creative. Also, knocking over really tall stacks of tin cans makes unique patterns that look pretty awesome, so I guess you could call that creative disorder  :wink:

Doktor Howl

Quote from: nekk on August 23, 2010, 03:56:00 PM
Yeah, Destruction and Creativity don't need to be treated as polar opposites. I can break a wishbone, and hey, I just created two wishbone-pieces, so it sort of counts as a sort of creation, or at least a changing. All creation is is putting things in an way that is appealing to the human brain, though modern at attempts to break even that, so really, by changing anything, you can call it being creative. Also, knocking over really tall stacks of tin cans makes unique patterns that look pretty awesome, so I guess you could call that creative disorder  :wink:

So can calling other departments, saying you're from corporate, and demanding forms that don't exist.
Molon Lube

Telarus

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 23, 2010, 04:58:51 PM
Quote from: nekk on August 23, 2010, 03:56:00 PM
Yeah, Destruction and Creativity don't need to be treated as polar opposites. I can break a wishbone, and hey, I just created two wishbone-pieces, so it sort of counts as a sort of creation, or at least a changing. All creation is is putting things in an way that is appealing to the human brain, though modern at attempts to break even that, so really, by changing anything, you can call it being creative. Also, knocking over really tall stacks of tin cans makes unique patterns that look pretty awesome, so I guess you could call that creative disorder  :wink:

So can calling other departments, saying you're from corporate, and demanding forms that don't exist.

:lulz: :lulz: :lulz:
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Iron Sulfide

Quote from: Cosine 5 on August 19, 2010, 01:04:02 AM
By the way, I'm not really quite sure what Chaos is. Being formerly Taoist, I always thought that Chaos was something very much like what Taoists like to call the Tao. I always viewed this as the nature of existence, or the Way things Are.

as have I. I see no reason to draw a distinction between Tao and Chao. In one of my favorite Alan Watts recordings, he says (roughly) "The Tao is divided into 'this' and 'that'. but there is no division, only a circle. And if we were especially honest with ourselves, that circle would encompass the universe, expanding infinitely..." which is what chaos is, the totality of all and nothing, combine. I dig hippy shit like that.

Also, i'll just throw this out there: Sterilization is a Creative Disorder.

Ya' stupid Yank.

Telarus

Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!