News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

Opinions on Article

Started by Thurnez Isa, August 18, 2010, 08:11:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thurnez Isa

Been catching up on my reading today and came across this. It brought up some interesting questions ala Frankenstein, Moby Dick...
Im interested in what people's immediate reactions are upon reading.

http://www.religiondispatches.org/archive/science/3110/creating_a_cell%3A_science_plays_god/
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Cramulus

I say BRING ON SYNTHETIC LIFE

the "old rules" do not apply anymore. Our society has completely transformed itself from tip to tail every generation. Every cell in the collective body has died and been replaced, except for a few ancient ganglia which serve as moral anchors. If you ask me, we should leave those anchors at the beach.

Asimov (among others) wanted us to resist what he called the "Frankenstein Complex", our deep seated fear of our own creations. Yes, things do occasionally get all Jurassic Park on us. But more often than not, they get all Louis Pasteur on us. Since this development isn't unethical in of itself, I don't see what the problem is. And if/when they develop a strain of bacteria that only feeds on cancer cells, you can bet that oldschool god-fearing morality is going to get tossed out like a broken hymen.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on August 18, 2010, 08:34:12 PM
I say BRING ON SYNTHETIC LIFE

the "old rules" do not apply anymore. Our society has completely transformed itself from tip to tail every generation. Every cell in the collective body has died and been replaced, except for a few ancient ganglia which serve as moral anchors. If you ask me, we should leave those anchors at the beach.

Asimov (among others) wanted us to resist what he called the "Frankenstein Complex", our deep seated fear of our own creations. Yes, things do occasionally get all Jurassic Park on us. But more often than not, they get all Louis Pasteur on us. Since this development isn't unethical in of itself, I don't see what the problem is. And if/when they develop a strain of bacteria that only feeds on cancer cells, you can bet that oldschool god-fearing morality is going to get tossed out like a broken hymen.

Pessimist.
Molon Lube

LMNO

Cram just wants to fuck a robot.

Doktor Howl

Molon Lube

Cramulus

SCIENCE WILL GIVE US THE PERFECT GIRLFRIENDS

IT ALREADY GAVE US 10+ HOUR ERECTIONS, WTF IS LEFT?

Triple Zero

My immediate reaction is, why bring "God" into this?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Triple Zero on August 18, 2010, 10:04:53 PM

Why not?  It makes the debate so much more lulzy.
Molon Lube

Cainad (dec.)

Because people are uncreative and insist on constantly bringing the conversation back to old topics that have already been rehashed a billion times.

Thurnez Isa

for me it's the use is in a symbolic sense only...

but rd.org where I got the article from is a religious website.
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Kai

I want to see if they can do more than transplant synthetic DNA and get a cell, now. I want them to literally, fill a synth phopholipid bilayer with water and ions, plug a whole bunch of designer protein channels into the membrane, produce whole mitochondria from scratch, and THEN insert the DNA.

Right now, all they have is a Synth DNA transplant.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Jenne

Anyone who's had to see or feel what it's like to need the generation of cells to keep living (either their own body or a loved one's) knows that research like this is crucial to some humans' survival.  I certainly became much more interested in stem cell research after my husband got aplastic anemia, and because there's no real blood donor or bone marrow registry for Afghans, and he has no sibling that's 100% from both parents (only half-sibs on both sides), he was gonna be FUCKED if he needed a transplant.  Luckily for us, that hasn't come to pass (yet--he still may get leukemia as a side effect of going into remission, and he's STILL not off his chemo).

The whole "playing God" issue is annoying in the extreme when you consider the extension of life for your kids' father.  Science is there despite (or because of, if you're a religious type) God/Allah/Yahweh/Zeus/etc.  Discovery and creation DO have multiple uses, and usually those who use the laws to prevent that same discovery and creation are using other discoveries and creations for war and destruction elsewhere.  That's been my experience, anyway--it seems all that seems new and wonderful in the world, from drugs to gadgets, has been tried out in the military first.

So, mark me down for wanting this process to go further, faster.  Because we're starting to believe that the issue with my husband's genetic, and if they have a better cure by the time my sons are his age, all the better.

Cain

I BELIEVE IN EATING MY MEAT RAW AND SLEEPING IN A TREE.  ANYTHING ELSE IS UNNATURAL.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Cain on August 23, 2010, 06:46:20 AM
I BELIEVE IN EATING MY MEAT RAW AND SLEEPING IN A TREE.  ANYTHING ELSE IS UNNATURAL.

But I like eating red meat raw.