Aubergine Gratin A La Pix.

Started by Pope Pixie Pickle, August 18, 2010, 09:37:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eater of Clowns

Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on August 19, 2010, 05:34:23 PM
TRANSLATION INTO ENGLISH

Quote from: Rainy Day Pixie on August 18, 2010, 09:37:06 PM
Take one large eggplant. i got lucky getting one for $1. :D

cut in half lengthways., then slice thinly as you can.

get pasta bake or other earthenware dish. do in layers with eggplant.

cover with passata from a jar or carton. then open can of chopped tomatoes, put that on top. Then take soem garlic cloves and chip in halves, stick in the gaps.

bake in oven for 45-60minutes, till the eggplant is soft. (about 400F)

Get a crumbly white cheese, i used cheese, but cheese or cheese should also work. If you are american, this may be tricky. Cheese would also be awesome, or something italian that would work as a substitute (internet thinks cheese or cheese would work) , Slice cheese, then cut slices into smaller bits for to sprinkle on top

Grate breadcrumbs and mix with salt and pepper, sprinkle on top, then use Grano Padano or Parmesan to help make the gratin-y crust form nice and crispy.

bake for another half an hour. the garlic will be soft and baked, so no need to worry about getting a mouthful of it.

Can be served with chicken, for carnivores, and a little salad. Veggies can has just wioth salad and maybe some garlic bread.

I made this one up based loosly on something I had in a french resturaunt. it took a couple of goes to get right, but this is the one that worked., Pics to follow.

:spittake:
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on August 19, 2010, 07:06:02 PM
Quote from: Nephew Twiddleton on August 19, 2010, 05:34:23 PM
TRANSLATION INTO ENGLISH

Take one large eggplant. i got lucky getting one for $1. :D

cut in half lengthways., then slice thinly as you can.

get pasta bake or other earthenware dish. do in layers with eggplant.

cover with passata from a jar or carton. then open can of chopped tomatoes, put that on top. Then take soem garlic cloves and chip in halves, stick in the gaps.

bake in oven for 45-60minutes, till the eggplant is soft. (about 400F)

Get a crumbly white cheese, i used cheese, but cheese or cheese should also work. If you are american, this may be tricky. Cheese would also be awesome, or something italian that would work as a substitute (internet thinks cheese or cheese would work) , Slice cheese, then cut slices into smaller bits for to sprinkle on top

Grate breadcrumbs and mix with salt and pepper, sprinkle on top, then use Grano Padano or Parmesan to help make the gratin-y crust form nice and crispy.

bake for another half an hour. the garlic will be soft and baked, so no need to worry about getting a mouthful of it.

Can be served with chicken, for carnivores, and a little salad. Veggies can has just wioth salad and maybe some garlic bread.

I made this one up based loosly on something I had in a french resturaunt. it took a couple of goes to get right, but this is the one that worked., Pics to follow.

:spittake:

You asked for a translation, sir. You're welcome.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Pope Pixie Pickle

i still maintain it will suck with cheddar or the other stuff amercians call cheese.

Cheshire or Pecorino or GTFO

LMNO

Ok, we're going to need some clarification

Get a crumbly white cheese, i used Cheshire, but Caerphilly or Wendeslydale should also work. If you are american, this may be tricky. White stilton would also be awesome, or something italian that would work as a substitute (internet thinks Pecorino or Colby would work) , Slice cheese, then cut slices into smaller bits for to sprinkle on top

I understand that Cheshire and Caerphilly are semi-hard cheeses that crumble easily, but Wendeslydale can also mean a bleu cheese, which wouldn't be a parallel... and when you mention stilton, that's also a bleu cheese.

Then, when you try to dumb it down for the yanks, you say either pecorino (a very hard, salty, italian cheese), or colby (a mild, soft, moist cheese, like a cheddar without the "cheddar" flavor).

If you're looking for a cheese that will melt easily, but still want a sharp tang, why not combine Parmesan with Mozzerella?

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Only variation I might recommend is a milk bath for the slices of eggplant. It helps reduce the bitterness inherent in the plant.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on August 20, 2010, 03:19:18 PM
Ok, we're going to need some clarification

Get a crumbly white cheese, i used Cheshire, but Caerphilly or Wendeslydale should also work. If you are american, this may be tricky. White stilton would also be awesome, or something italian that would work as a substitute (internet thinks Pecorino or Colby would work) , Slice cheese, then cut slices into smaller bits for to sprinkle on top

I understand that Cheshire and Caerphilly are semi-hard cheeses that crumble easily, but Wendeslydale can also mean a bleu cheese, which wouldn't be a parallel... and when you mention stilton, that's also a bleu cheese.

Then, when you try to dumb it down for the yanks, you say either pecorino (a very hard, salty, italian cheese), or colby (a mild, soft, moist cheese, like a cheddar without the "cheddar" flavor).

If you're looking for a cheese that will melt easily, but still want a sharp tang, why not combine Parmesan with Mozzerella?

mozarella will mess with the texture I think. Maybe try a feta instead, will make it more goaty but thats ok I guess. Wenselydale isnt always blue in the UK. You can aslo get White Stilton (non blue).

And Rat, Ill try a milk bath next time and report on its sucess.

Cain

This sounds nice, and I don't even like aubergines.

LMNO

Feta doesn't melt very easily.

I think you need to post pics of this. 

Pope Pixie Pickle

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on August 20, 2010, 06:51:30 PM
Feta doesn't melt very easily.

I think you need to post pics of this. 

the Cheshire is not a good melter, either, next time i make I will show steps and stuff. I am trying to get the pics off my blackberry and it is not being cooperative.

Pope Pixie Pickle

Jenne

Fresh goat cheese, the powdery kind, would probably work if it was melted at high heat so it gets a nice crust on it.  It's used on pizzas out here a lot.