News:

I hate both of you because your conversation is both navel-gazing and puerile

Main Menu

Iron man workout for people who use bad crank.

Started by Juana, August 22, 2010, 06:03:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Juana

I have to add this - if you're planning to add running to your routine, make sure you're doing it right and I'm sure I'm not the only one who wasn't doing it right. There really is right way and a wrong one and the wrong one will give you shin splints which are a bitch. If you keep going with shin splints, you can pull the muscle out of the bone, or so a doctor told me.
Doing it the right way makes running easier, more effective, and less awful. Personally, I'm getting to the point where I enjoy it and I used to do anything I possibly could to get out of it.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Jenne

Yeah, I'm going to add running now that I've been biking and hiking.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Hover Cat on August 22, 2010, 06:03:57 AM
I have to add this - if you're planning to add running to your routine, make sure you're doing it right and I'm sure I'm not the only one who wasn't doing it right. There really is right way and a wrong one and the wrong one will give you shin splints which are a bitch. If you keep going with shin splints, you can pull the muscle out of the bone, or so a doctor told me.
Doing it the right way makes running easier, more effective, and less awful. Personally, I'm getting to the point where I enjoy it and I used to do anything I possibly could to get out of it.

hm, most of that information seemed to be pretty common sense to me. although I'm already aware of my posture most of the time anyway, thanks to yoga.

the bit that's new to me came from behind one of those links, that your "stride turnover", the number of steps per minute should most optimally be 180 per minute?? that sounds like an awful lot to me. I've been running to music ever since I started (well I did before, but only with music it became any fun for me), see my mixes thread in Bring&Brag for examples, but they're all at 142-145 BPM, and I do take a step at each beat, helps me keep the pace. It's a bit of an odd suggestion anyway, since afaik, you're going for the optimal physical pendulum (rod) swing of your legs, which has a lower frequency when the legs are shorter. Also there's very few music that sounds good at 180BPM. I could speed up some of my mixes, and just try it out, see how it works, but from when I got started I found the higher BPMs didn't feel right, I actually moved back a bit from 145 to 142-143 because it felt more comfortable. But if they're right about a faster stride having less impacts on the joints, then I guess it's worth it. But really, 180BPM sounds like a fuck of a lot, I wonder if I could even keep up with that... are there any other sources quoting this number? Or maybe a table corresponding to leg length?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Juana

I have no idea. I was more concerned when I looked that up with posture and where on your foot to land.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Don Coyote

Quote from: Triple Zero on August 22, 2010, 10:08:52 PM
Quote from: Hover Cat on August 22, 2010, 06:03:57 AM

hm, most of that information seemed to be pretty common sense to me. although I'm already aware of my posture most of the time anyway, thanks to yoga.

the bit that's new to me came from behind one of those links, that your "stride turnover", the number of steps per minute should most optimally be 180 per minute?? that sounds like an awful lot to me. I've been running to music ever since I started (well I did before, but only with music it became any fun for me), see my mixes thread in Bring&Brag for examples, but they're all at 142-145 BPM, and I do take a step at each beat, helps me keep the pace. It's a bit of an odd suggestion anyway, since afaik, you're going for the optimal physical pendulum (rod) swing of your legs, which has a lower frequency when the legs are shorter. Also there's very few music that sounds good at 180BPM. I could speed up some of my mixes, and just try it out, see how it works, but from when I got started I found the higher BPMs didn't feel right, I actually moved back a bit from 145 to 142-143 because it felt more comfortable. But if they're right about a faster stride having less impacts on the joints, then I guess it's worth it. But really, 180BPM sounds like a fuck of a lot, I wonder if I could even keep up with that... are there any other sources quoting this number? Or maybe a table corresponding to leg length?

Find some that sound good at 90bpm?

Or ignore that bit of drivel. Sounds like someone who was brainwashed by military double time march bullshit.

But 180 is not that fast.

Triple Zero

90 BPM is kind of like slow reggae dub :) though afaik even "chase the devil" is 100BPM (famous from the sample in Prodigy's Outer Space track--original is cool as well though). I guess I'll give it a go, just to see how it goes.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Don Coyote

Stelpa

Even better, you could listen to Squarepusher! POWERBOOST  :lulz:

Triple Zero

Hehehehe Squarepusher is a bit too irregular to run to for my tastes (apart from that he's awesome, btw).

Anyway, I just speeded up one of my running mixes from 145BPM to 160BPM for a tryout... Well it's certainly interesting :D [the music itself turned out fine, btw, I used a combo of +6% tempo and +4% speed, together making 160BPM, while changing the pitch only 4% and still retaining a decent sound quality]

Having tried that, now I don't believe for a second that any normal person could actually run to 180BPM. Maybe they were talking about the 100m Olympic sprinters or something.

Anyway, turns out that 160 is ever so slightly too fast for me. I noticed I wasn't able to keep up with all the steps, skipping. You notice because suddenly the snare-drum is at your left foot while it was at your right a minute ago :)

So next time I'll just load a 150 and 155 BPM version to my mp3 player, see what works best.

And who knows, in a week or two I might be able to keep up with the 160 one as well. I just don't think I'd ever be able to do 180 without having some professional coach telling me exactly how to move my legs and such.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Triple Zero on August 23, 2010, 08:57:46 PM
Hehehehe Squarepusher is a bit too irregular to run to for my tastes (apart from that he's awesome, btw).

Anyway, I just speeded up one of my running mixes from 145BPM to 160BPM for a tryout... Well it's certainly interesting :D [the music itself turned out fine, btw, I used a combo of +6% tempo and +4% speed, together making 160BPM, while changing the pitch only 4% and still retaining a decent sound quality]

Having tried that, now I don't believe for a second that any normal person could actually run to 180BPM. Maybe they were talking about the 100m Olympic sprinters or something.

Anyway, turns out that 160 is ever so slightly too fast for me. I noticed I wasn't able to keep up with all the steps, skipping. You notice because suddenly the snare-drum is at your left foot while it was at your right a minute ago :)

So next time I'll just load a 150 and 155 BPM version to my mp3 player, see what works best.

And who knows, in a week or two I might be able to keep up with the 160 one as well. I just don't think I'd ever be able to do 180 without having some professional coach telling me exactly how to move my legs and such.

We run at approx 180bpm in formation singing cadence. It is too slow for me. I am far from being an Olympic quality runner. That being said, I still hold that 180bpm being some ideal running pace to a load of shit. Run what is comfortable for you. Constant forward motion is more important, especially if you are running solely for exercise.

Triple Zero

180 steps per minute?? for serious? that's left-right-left in one second, yeah? for how long?

when I just did that 160 steps per minute running, I didn't have the feeling my legs would be able to move much more than that.

in that case, I wonder how quickly I'd move up from 150 to 155 to 160 ...

Don Coyote

Quote from: Triple Zero on August 23, 2010, 09:46:49 PM
180 steps per minute?? for serious? that's left-right-left in one second, yeah? for how long?

when I just did that 160 steps per minute running, I didn't have the feeling my legs would be able to move much more than that.

in that case, I wonder how quickly I'd move up from 150 to 155 to 160 ...

Not each foot. just when every right foot strikes the ground. That might be the disconnect. That pace should be sustainable for at least an hour for someone in decent condition, but 20-30 should be attainable for someone starting out.

Triple Zero

huh??

if the right foot hits the ground 180 times per minute, that would mean you'd get left-right left-right left-right in one second, because the left one always goes right in between. I kinda doubt that :)

so when you say 180BPM, what exactly are you counting that happens 180 times in one minute?

Don Coyote

Quote from: Triple Zero on August 23, 2010, 09:59:18 PM
huh??

if the right foot hits the ground 180 times per minute, that would mean you'd get left-right left-right left-right in one second, because the left one always goes right in between. I kinda doubt that :)

so when you say 180BPM, what exactly are you counting that happens 180 times in one minute?

I am counting the same foot striking the ground 180 times in one minute.

President Television

Quote from: Lunar Wolf of the Cow Moon 13 on August 23, 2010, 10:13:01 PM
I am counting the same foot striking the ground 180 times in one minute.

Would said foot happen to cost $6,000,000?
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.