News:

Nothing gets wasted around here

Main Menu

Government now has right to track you using GPS

Started by Adios, August 25, 2010, 06:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Government agents can sneak onto your property in the middle of the night, put a GPS device on the bottom of your car and keep track of everywhere you go. This doesn't violate your Fourth Amendment rights, because you do not have any reasonable expectation of privacy in your own driveway — and no reasonable expectation that the government isn't tracking your movements.

That is the bizarre — and scary — rule that now applies in California and eight other Western states. The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit, which covers this vast jurisdiction, recently decided the government can monitor you in this way virtually anytime it wants — with no need for a search warrant.

It is particularly offensive because the judges added insult to injury with some shocking class bias: the little personal privacy that still exists, the court suggested, should belong mainly to the rich.
Chief Judge Alex Kozinski, who dissented from this month's decision refusing to reconsider the case, pointed out whose homes are not open to strangers: rich people's. The court's ruling, he said, means that people who protect their homes with electric gates, fences and security booths have a large protected zone of privacy around their homes. People who cannot afford such barriers have to put up with the government sneaking around at night.

http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2013150,00.html?hpt=T2

I don't suppose we should worry much about this......

Don Coyote

Jasper

Great, now I have to invest in some questionably legal security devices.

Requia ☣

Quote from: Sigmatic on August 25, 2010, 06:17:44 PM
Great, now I have to invest in some companies that make questionably legal security devices.

You know somebody is going to make a killing off of this.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Nephew Twiddleton

Does a garage count as private property? I mean, they're not ubiquitous, but they're more common than electric fences, fun as those would be.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Jasper

It's a locked door.  I don't see how it could be seen as a public place.

Right?   RIGHT?

Jenne

Quote from: Doktor Blight on August 25, 2010, 06:20:52 PM
Does a garage count as private property? I mean, they're not ubiquitous, but they're more common than electric fences, fun as those would be.

Yes.

Open driveways are what they are using to call "public" rather than private party.  I hope this is taken to the wall, because it's out and out bullshit.

Doktor Howl

Can we put GPS devices on government vehicles, then?
Molon Lube

Adios

Quote from: Sigmatic on August 25, 2010, 06:22:05 PM
It's a locked door.  I don't see how it could be seen as a public place.

Right?   RIGHT?

When you go somewhere, will you park in a public place?

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Doktor Blight on August 25, 2010, 06:24:42 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 25, 2010, 06:23:14 PM

I think so!

Somehow, I think that would be different.  For reasons that do not concern us peasants.
Molon Lube

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 25, 2010, 06:23:14 PM

From what I read in the article, the Right is extended to the Government. Not you citizen, now back in line.

Doktor Howl

Now, are there any other questions concerning the morality - or lack thereof - of Dok handing out mad science to homeless people in the legal district?

Didn't think so.
Molon Lube

Adios

The downhill rolling Snowball of Going Straight to Hell Freedom™ is gaining momentum, I think

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Charley Brown on August 25, 2010, 06:28:21 PM
The downhill rolling Snowball of Going Straight to Hell Freedom™ is gaining momentum, I think

And that's why I have dedicated the rest of my life to inflicting horrible awful shit on Americans.

Poo on a stick:  It's just the beginning.
Molon Lube