News:

Doing everything exactly opposite from "The Mainstream" is the same thing as doing everything exactly like "The Mainstream."  You're still using What Everyone Else is Doing as your primary point of reference.

Main Menu

Government now has right to track you using GPS

Started by Adios, August 25, 2010, 06:12:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 25, 2010, 07:28:00 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on August 25, 2010, 07:13:31 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 25, 2010, 07:09:35 PM
Quote from: Requia ☣ on August 25, 2010, 06:52:16 PM
The comments at that link make me want to vomit.

America deserves this.

QuoteMike Foster
People are always afraid of a police state.... who is terrified of the government tracking them via GPS, except for those that are going where they shouldn't? They can track me all they want.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,2013150,00.html?hpt=T2#ixzz0xdtfH9qs

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

This is why our rights are being ripped from us.

Bullshit.  We're giving them away.

Unfortunately this is an accurate statement. God Bless Apathy and Safety, right?

Disco Pickle

I read about this a couple of years ago.  Cops in states all over the country have BEEN using it, but evidence gathered this way hasn't been being used in criminal cases, only to help gather OTHER evidence.  

They didn't want the people or their city government and judges finding out they were doing it, so they never tried to submit evidence that pointed to the fact that they used them.

Someone blew the lid on it a few years ago and the cops fessed up, but claimed to be able to do it regardless of the 4th amendment, claiming it's gathering no more evidence against the person than they would gain by tailing a suspect in person.

The whole thing stinks like a dockyard whore's vagina.

not that I know what that would smell like..  

srsly.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Bruno

So, is this something they were allowed to do before, but only with a warrant?
Formerly something else...

Requia ☣

It's new tech, presumably they'd be allowed to do it with a warrant (I can't think of a reason why not anyway), but as far as I know they've never requested a warrant for it.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Disco Pickle

QuoteSo, is this something they were allowed to do before, but only with a warrant?

Judges weren't being told it was common practice to track a suspect this way.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Adios

From the article;

In fact, the government violated Pineda-Moreno's privacy rights in two different ways. For starters, the invasion of his driveway was wrong. The courts have long held that people have a reasonable expectation of privacy in their homes and in the "curtilage," a fancy legal term for the area around the home. The government's intrusion on property just a few feet away was clearly in this zone of privacy.

The judges veered into offensiveness when they explained why Pineda-Moreno's driveway was not private. It was open to strangers, they said, such as delivery people and neighborhood children, who could wander across it uninvited.

Adios

Quote from: Dr. Vrtig0 on August 25, 2010, 07:44:30 PM
QuoteSo, is this something they were allowed to do before, but only with a warrant?

Can you provide links?

BabylonHoruv

A fence is not that difficult or expensive to put up.  It is kind of a pain in the butt to have to open a gate every time you pull into your driveway.  Having driveway gates (which can be as simple as a length of barbwire that you pull aside to get into your driveway) going up across suburbia would be greatly amusing.

I'm also curious what happens when some media sort plants a GPS on a rich person's car when it is not in their protected driveway.  
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Requia ☣

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on August 25, 2010, 07:47:26 PM
A fence is not that difficult or expensive to put up.  It is kind of a pain in the butt to have to open a gate every time you pull into your driveway.  Having driveway gates (which can be as simple as a length of barbwire that you pull aside to get into your driveway) going up across suburbia would be greatly amusing.

I'm also curious what happens when some media sort plants a GPS on a rich person's car when it is not in their protected driveway.  

That just pushes the burden down to people who live in apartments if it becomes widespread though.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Disco Pickle

QuoteQuote from: Dr. Vrtig0 on Today at 10:44:30 AM
So, is this something they were allowed to do before, but only with a warrant?

Can you provide links?

Id have to do some serious digging.  It's been awhile since I read that article.  Let me see what I can find.

Bruno

Quote from: Requia ☣ on August 25, 2010, 07:49:49 PM
Quote from: BabylonHoruv on August 25, 2010, 07:47:26 PM

That just pushes the burden down to people who live in apartments if it becomes widespread though.

You could always just put a barbed wire fence around your car!

...or maybe just get a "No Trespassing" bumper sticker?
Formerly something else...

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Charley Brown on August 25, 2010, 07:44:45 PM
The judges veered into offensiveness when they explained why Pineda-Moreno's driveway was not private.

Because he's HIS-PANIC, obviously.  Suddenly, all becomes clear.
Molon Lube

Disco Pickle

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/12/AR2008081203275_3.html

Washington Post article from 2008.  Not sure if this was the first time I heard about it, but it's clear from the story they were using it well before then, and some judges in some states have weighed in on it, and most have declared they don't need a warrant.

Jenne

SMUDGY PEOPLE GETS NO RIGHTS!

And since most of them are also poor, marginalizing this type of "right" on the basis of who can own property big enough to secure their belongings makes a clear path to which way the courts were awarding this one.

It's fucktarded in the extreme.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Jenne on August 25, 2010, 07:59:02 PM
SMUDGY PEOPLE GETS NO RIGHTS!

And since most of them are also poor, marginalizing this type of "right" on the basis of who can own property big enough to secure their belongings makes a clear path to which way the courts were awarding this one.

It's fucktarded in the extreme.

LOL AMERICA
Molon Lube