News:

I hate both of you because your conversation is both navel-gazing and puerile

Main Menu

Things to Do in Mississippi

Started by tyrannosaurus vex, November 06, 2013, 03:21:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on November 18, 2013, 09:04:35 PM
Nah, if you're gonna make him do Arizona there's no reason to half-ass it. Gila Bend or nothing.

Gila Bend isn't really a shithole, it's more of a map dot.  The people are not as insular as you'd expect, but their main advantage is that they aren't Buckeye (the town that put up a 30' statue of a hobo as a joke, and then was depopulated by the 2007/2008 crash).

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

East Coast Hustle

I haven't been through there in many years, but I remember it being soul-crushingly awful in a slightly hard to pin-down way. I also remember parking my truck on the side of the highway just past Gila Bend and just wandering into the desert with wild eyes and a head full of absinthe, coffee brandy, hashish, and dayquil layered on top of a 3-day adderall-fueled nonstop drive through the sick black heart of America and that weird hormonal almost-hangover you get when you end up randomly hooking up with a girl you really like who's way out of your league and doesn't live anywhere near you. I remember wanting to check out this beautiful and fascinating rock formation that I could see about a mile or so from the highway. And I remember what I saw out there instead and I don't 100% trust my eye-brain connection at that particular moment in time but I'm pretty sure it was actually real and actually happened and maybe it was just a tangle of mesquite branch but mesquite trees don't wear wristwatches and it was holy fuck it was bad.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on November 18, 2013, 09:21:41 PM
I haven't been through there in many years, but I remember it being soul-crushingly awful in a slightly hard to pin-down way. I also remember parking my truck on the side of the highway just past Gila Bend and just wandering into the desert with wild eyes and a head full of absinthe, coffee brandy, hashish, and dayquil layered on top of a 3-day adderall-fueled nonstop drive through the sick black heart of America and that weird hormonal almost-hangover you get when you end up randomly hooking up with a girl you really like who's way out of your league and doesn't live anywhere near you. And I remember what I saw out there and I don't 100% trust my eye-brain connection at that particular moment in time but I'm pretty sure it was actually real and actually happened and maybe it was just a tangle of mesquite branch but mesquite trees don't wear wristwatches and it was holy fuck it was bad.

Well, yeah, but that's not Gila Bend's fault.   :lulz:

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

East Coast Hustle

Heh. I just realized that my mind had brought that back up as though it were a long-ago story but it was actually fall of 2010 I think. Might even have been 2011. Whenever I was supposed to stop by Tucson but ended up getting screwed on my timetable because of a disintegrated tensioner pulley followed by a blown tire valve core. All of that said, it's gonna be hard to out-awful Mississippi.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Jet City Hustle on November 18, 2013, 09:26:31 PM
Heh. I just realized that my mind had brought that back up as though it were a long-ago story but it was actually fall of 2010 I think. Might even have been 2011. Whenever I was supposed to stop by Tucson but ended up getting screwed on my timetable because of a disintegrated tensioner pulley followed by a blown tire valve core. All of that said, it's gonna be hard to out-awful Mississippi.

I remember that.  It was 2009 or 2010, IIRC.  Your vehicle was trying to save you.  To "take one for the team", as it were.