News:

"At the teaparties they only dunked bags into cups of water...because they didn't want to break the law. And that just about sums up America's revolutionary spirit."

Main Menu

The world would have been better off without the following "classical" writers:

Started by Doktor Howl, August 25, 2010, 08:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenne

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 25, 2010, 09:28:16 PM
Quote from: Jenne on August 25, 2010, 09:24:06 PM
LOVE Goethe!

And if you thought Don Quixote was bad, you should read motherfucking 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea!  OMG WORST BOOK EVER

Don't get me started on Jules Verne. 

I just did!  And really, he belongs on your OP list, because I really like a few of those others.  At least I did in h.s.  Now, admittedly, I'd probably find them vapid.

Don Coyote

LOVE Goethe!

And if you thought Don Quixote was bad, you should read motherfucking 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea!  OMG WORST BOOK EVER

I like Jules Verne :argh!:

Now I am going to add all the other authors you don't like to my read list.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Jenne on August 25, 2010, 09:30:54 PM
LOVE Goethe!

I just did!  And really, he belongs on your OP list, because I really like a few of those others.  At least I did in h.s.  Now, admittedly, I'd probably find them vapid.

Jules Verne was important to the science fiction field in its early days.  But it reads like 3 day old shit.

Some people think he invented science fiction, but that credit goes to Mary Shelley.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Lunar Wolf of the Cow Moon 13 on August 25, 2010, 09:31:49 PM
LOVE Goethe!

Mission accomplished.
Molon Lube

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 25, 2010, 09:32:42 PM
Quote from: Lunar Wolf of the Cow Moon 13 on August 25, 2010, 09:31:49 PM
LOVE Goethe!

Mission accomplished.

:| :|

:argh!:

Jenne

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 25, 2010, 09:32:19 PM
LOVE Goethe!

Jules Verne was important to the science fiction field in its early days.  But it reads like 3 day old shit.

Some people think he invented science fiction, but that credit goes to Mary Shelley.

I think I figured out a good test for good literature:

Find it on Librivox and have it read out loud to you.  If by chapter 3 you don't want to kill a motherfucker, you've chosen a true piece of lit.  If, however, you find yourself wanting to murder, strangle, maim or otherwise do violence to either the person reading the thing out loud OR its author,

then it's shit.

Kai

Quote from: Jenne on August 25, 2010, 09:35:09 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 25, 2010, 09:32:19 PM
LOVE Goethe!

Jules Verne was important to the science fiction field in its early days.  But it reads like 3 day old shit.

I think I figured out a good test for good literature:

Find it on Librivox and have it read out loud to you.  If by chapter 3 you don't want to kill a motherfucker, you've chosen a true piece of lit.  If, however, you find yourself wanting to murder, strangle, maim or otherwise do violence to either the person reading the thing out loud OR its author,

then it's shit.

I don't know. I found Iliad on there, and it was a translation I didn't particularly like by a reader I didn't particularly like listening to (had no ability for epic poetry) and I had to turn it off during chapter 2. It's not universal.

But then, I prefer reading it out loud to myself late at night and freaking my roommates out with my whispers of the bloody death scenes.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Juana

Let's add F. Scott Fitzgerald to this list. The Great Gatsby is a fucking awful novel.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Eater of Clowns

I've read almost no "classic" literature.  I think this fall I'm going to tackle Moby Dick though, as my heritage demands it.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Dysfunctional Cunt

To be honest, I am not a huge Dickens fan either...

Nor was I overjoyed with Longfellow...

Damn how terrible of a person does that probably make me?  :lulz:

Kai

If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I will take this moment to throw out props to Robert Louis Stevenson and Johnathon Swift.

ETA: And Kipling.