News:

MysticWicks endorsement: ""Oooh, I'm a Discordian! I can do whatever I want! Which means I can just SAY I'm a pagan but I never bother doing rituals or studying any kind of sacred texts or developing a relationship with deity, etc! I can go around and not be Christian, but I won't quite be anything else either because I just can't commit and I can't be ARSED to commit!"

Main Menu

The world would have been better off without the following "classical" writers:

Started by Doktor Howl, August 25, 2010, 08:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Jenne on August 26, 2010, 12:55:03 AM
What's wrong with creepy cougars?  *she says with an ear-to-ear grin*

Creepy cougars are one of life's great pleasures, unless they look like Ayn Rand.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on August 26, 2010, 02:02:03 AM
Quote from: Nigel on August 25, 2010, 11:48:44 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 25, 2010, 08:42:32 PM
James Joyce
Emily Bronte
Thomas Hardy
Lord Byron
Emily Dickenson
William Butler Yeats

All of the above wrote pure shit, and should have been infected with smallpox and dropped down a convenient sewer.

I've never read a single one of 'em.

8):hi5::)

Same here.

Thirded. PDX anti-lit crew FTW!
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

AFK

The only author I really have ever followed is Ray Bradbury.  I love The Martian Chronicles, definitely my favorite book ever.  The Illustrated Man was also very good.  But I suppose he's not really a "classical" author. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Adios

Quote from: Ratatosk on August 25, 2010, 09:59:59 PM
Also, fuck Jack London.

When I was 12 years old the only thing I could think of I wanted was a copy of The Call of the Wild. I still have that copy.

AFK

I have one somewhere too.  I actually enjoyed it when I read it as a kid.  Maybe I should dust it off and give it another go. 

LMNO

Cramulus

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on August 26, 2010, 01:58:36 PM
The only author I really have ever followed is Ray Bradbury.  I love The Martian Chronicles, definitely my favorite book ever.  The Illustrated Man was also very good.  But I suppose he's not really a "classical" author. 

hell yeah ray bradbury!!

The Martial Chronicles are what got me into Lord Byron to begin with

I've got that poem "So we'll go no more a roving" memorized.

AFK

The piece of Martian Chronicles that really grabbed me was the scene of the automated house on Mars that was left abandoned when everyone went back to Earth.  The house basically slowly ate itself and became a big pile of smoldering ruin.  It really crystallized the narrative of the whole book. 

Also the closing of the book, when the Dad promises to take the kids to see Martians, they look into a pond, and see their reflections. 

AFK

It was written back in the 50s but is still very relevant.  There are so many current day issues that are part of the overall narrative of The Martian Chronicles.  From xenophobia and bigotry to environmental issues. 

Jenne

Ray Bradbury is an awesome storyteller.  Farenheit 451 is still one of my all-time favorites.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Cain

Ray Bradbury thinks Obama needs to go to the moon

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2010/08/ray-bradbury-is-sick-of-big-government-our-country-is-in-need-of-a-revolution-.html

Quote"He should be announcing that we should go back to the moon... We should never have left there. We should go to the moon and prepare a base to fire a rocket off to Mars and then go to Mars and colonize Mars. Then when we do that, we will live forever."

Jenne

NWC

I just got back (5 minutes ago) from an exam on european literature, and I don't think there's a better way to make people hate literature.

For just 1/4 of the exam(which was simply enormous), we were given a list of 25 authors, and for each one we had to know their biography, their style, and extracts of 4-8 books. They presented an extract from one of those 4-8 books, and we had to recognise the author and the book(or play or poem) and then write everything about the author. I now have a list of 25 authors that I hate, due to having been forced to study them in such a way.

(I did recognize the author, btw, I would have been seriously pissed otherwise)
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED