The world would have been better off without the following "classical" writers:

Started by Doktor Howl, August 25, 2010, 08:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cain

Arthur Miller needs to be added to the list.

I remember reading Death of A Salesman when I was about 14.  The damn book was so relentlessy depressing it made me want to commit suicide, let alone the main character.  The Crucible might've been good, sure, and getting it on with Marilyn Monroe gets him mad bragging privileges, but nothing makes up for that piece of shit he wrote.  Nothing.

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 25, 2010, 10:10:42 PM
Quote from: Hover Cat on August 25, 2010, 09:47:18 PM
Let's add F. Scott Fitzgerald to this list. The Great Gatsby is a fucking awful novel.

I liked it, because of the Horrible Doom factor, but I'd have ended it differently.

Daisy had syphilis, Tom died of genital warts, and Nick Carroway watched it all in mounting horror, then made off with the silverware and the maid.

Bahhhhahahahahahahahahahahaha

that just made my morning

Bu🤠ns

Quote from: Cain on January 15, 2012, 03:46:14 PM
Arthur Miller needs to be added to the list.

I remember reading Death of A Salesman when I was about 14.  The damn book was so relentlessy depressing it made me want to commit suicide, let alone the main character.  The Crucible might've been good, sure, and getting it on with Marilyn Monroe gets him mad bragging privileges, but nothing makes up for that piece of shit he wrote.  Nothing.

Thats funny because my father said basically the same thing like 10 or so years ago. Well, save the Marylin part :Lulz:

Cain

Reading Death of A Salesman is like watching a puppy being put down.  In slow motion.  And on black and white film.  Every waking minute for the rest of your life.

PeregrineBF

Forcing teenagers to read Death of A Salesman would be the best thing about being a high-school English teacher.

Roly Poly Oly-Garch

Quote from: PeregrineBF on January 15, 2012, 06:49:01 PM
Forcing teenagers to read Death of A Salesman would be the best thing about being a high-school English teacher.

Forcing them to actually perform the play is so much better, though. I've seen two collegiate and one high-school production and I don't think I'm too far out on a limb saying that Willy Loman may be just a tad outside the range of your average teen or early 20's actor.
Back to the fecal matter in the pool

Juana

I think I saw an old black and white production of Death of a Salesman several years ago. I only remember bits of it, but it was ok. Not something I'd seek out again, but eh.

Quote from: Cardinal Pizza Deliverance. on August 25, 2010, 10:27:01 PM
Arthur Miller for The Crucible

and Nathaniel Hawthorne for The Scarlet Letter.
I love both of these books to bits and won't hear a word against them.
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."

The Good Reverend Roger

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Faust

Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on November 18, 2013, 03:19:31 PM
Hemingway dares you to come and say that to his face

Disclaimer:  His face is not currently in that position; it is currently stuck to the ceiling.  You may require a step ladder.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

LMNO

Quote from: Dirty Old Uncle Roger on November 18, 2013, 03:38:47 PM

Disclaimer:  His face is not currently in that position; it is currently stuck to the ceiling.  You may require a step ladder.

:potd:

I flat out cackled at that.

Cackled.

My office is now looking at me more strangely than usual.

Faust

:( Still wouldn't fuck with.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD (life continues) on November 18, 2013, 03:53:38 PM

:potd:

I flat out cackled at that.

Cackled.

My office is now looking at me more strangely than usual.

I'm not well.   :lulz:

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Faust on November 18, 2013, 03:53:53 PM

:( Still wouldn't fuck with.

Wise move.  Ernie is tougher without a face than most people who have two.  He was Dick Cheney in an alternate universe.