News:

The characteristic feature of the loser is to bemoan, in general terms, mankind's flaws, biases, contradictions and irrationality-without exploiting them for fun and profit

Main Menu

The world would have been better off without the following "classical" writers:

Started by Doktor Howl, August 25, 2010, 08:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

James Joyce
Emily Bronte
Thomas Hardy
Lord Byron
Emily Dickenson
William Butler Yeats

All of the above wrote pure shit, and should have been infected with smallpox and dropped down a convenient sewer.
Molon Lube

Jenne

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Jenne on August 25, 2010, 08:45:37 PM
Aw, I like Emily Dickenson.  :(  And Bronte.  :(

Me too.  Because one knows that "moon" rhymes with "orange", and the other wrote incredibly depressing and vapid novels that made me want to shoot myself in the face with a bazooka.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Little known fact:  The Martian invaders weren't killed off by bacteria, but by Emily Dickenson's poetry.  She was, of course, dead by then, but that doesn't seem to have slowed her down.
Molon Lube

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 25, 2010, 08:47:16 PM
Quote from: Jenne on August 25, 2010, 08:45:37 PM
Aw, I like Emily Dickenson.  :(  And Bronte.  :(

Me too.  Because one knows that "moon" rhymes with "orange", and the other wrote incredibly depressing and vapid novels that made me want to shoot myself in the face with a bazooka.

Yeah. Bronte made me want to stab myself in the temple. Instead I opted to wing it on the test.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Jasper

I'm actually inclined to agree with a lot of those.  I suppose some of them hold some allure for certain tastes, but never should they have been "classical" writers with cultural sway.

AFK

I don't think I ever had to read any Bronte in school.  But I was subjected to Joyce and plenty of Dickenson.  Though, to be perfectly honest, I think the only literature I enjoyed in school was Poe. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on August 25, 2010, 08:52:28 PM
I don't think I ever had to read any Bronte in school.  But I was subjected to Joyce and plenty of Dickenson.  Though, to be perfectly honest, I think the only literature I enjoyed in school was Poe. 

Poe was okay as a novelist.

But with only one exception (The Raven), he should have had a toe pulled off for every poem he wrote.
Molon Lube

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Rev. What's-His-Name? on August 25, 2010, 08:52:28 PM

For me they assigned the Bronte sisters as much as Shakespeare.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Cramulus

Byron? really? I could go either way on his writing, but by all accounts, he was a hell of a character. He was the first modern style celebrity. Most fictional anti-heroes (like batman or the vampire lestat) are based off of him.

I am 100% with you on Dickinson. Haven't read a sufficient amount of the others.

Jenne

*Jenne slinks off, dejected, as her girlhood literary heroes are obliterated into dust*

Actually, I read more Agatha Christie, Conan Doyle and Dorothy L Sayers than anything until h.s.  And even through h.s.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Cramulus on August 25, 2010, 08:55:07 PM
Byron? really? I could go either way on his writing, but by all accounts, he was a hell of a character. He was the first modern style celebrity. Most fictional anti-heroes (like batman or the vampire lestat) are based off of him.

I am 100% with you on Dickinson. Haven't read a sufficient amount of the others.

So he was like Paris Hilton with less opportunities to bathe.

And if he inspired Lestat, he should be turfed up and sprayed onto a landfill.
Molon Lube

Jenne

Well, what's cool about Byron is that he got Shelley to write that fantastic piece of simple yet poignant fiction based on a conversation about Darwin, Frankenstein.

He did write some wankage, I agree, but the LIFE, man, the LIFE.

NWC

Agreed with everything except Joyce. I'm often surprised he's considered a classic author simply because I enjoy reading him so much, and I usually hate reading the "classics". His style indulges a certain passion of mine that I can't really explain, and his way of writing things that seem a little "off" while also being so very "right on" with a certain conception I have of what he's describing, which affirms the conception of mine that I always felt was "off", compared to others'.
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED

Doktor Howl

Quote from: NWC on August 25, 2010, 09:03:38 PM
Agreed with everything except Joyce. I'm often surprised he's considered a classic author simply because I enjoy reading him so much,

Do you also hold your cigarettes backwards?
Molon Lube