The world would have been better off without the following "classical" writers:

Started by Doktor Howl, August 25, 2010, 08:42:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Hover Cat on August 25, 2010, 09:47:18 PM
Let's add F. Scott Fitzgerald to this list. The Great Gatsby is a fucking awful novel.

I liked it, because of the Horrible Doom factor, but I'd have ended it differently.

Daisy had syphilis, Tom died of genital warts, and Nick Carroway watched it all in mounting horror, then made off with the silverware and the maid.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Ratatosk on August 25, 2010, 10:04:20 PM
I will take this moment to throw out props to Robert Louis Stevenson and Johnathon Swift.

ETA: And Kipling.

Yes, yes, and HELL YES.
Molon Lube

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 25, 2010, 10:11:19 PM
Quote from: Ratatosk on August 25, 2010, 10:04:20 PM
I will take this moment to throw out props to Robert Louis Stevenson and Johnathon Swift.

ETA: And Kipling.

Yes, yes, and HELL YES.

Tho' I've belted you and flayed you, By the livin' Gawd that made you, You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din!
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: Khara on August 25, 2010, 09:21:03 PM

Miguel de Cervantes - yeah I said it.  I hated Don Quixote, longest, most boring book I ever read! UGH!

:cry:

Don Quixote is my favorite book
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Thurnez Isa

Let's add F. Scott Fitzgerald to this list. The Great Gatsby is a fucking awful novel.

another one of my favorite books
im going to stop reading this thread it's crap
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.

Dante

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on August 25, 2010, 10:13:06 PM

Miguel de Cervantes - yeah I said it.  I hated Don Quixote, longest, most boring book I ever read! UGH!

Yes, but you're Canadian, and allowances have to be made.

Dok,
Has watched CBC.
Molon Lube

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

I have a sort of love-hate with everyone on the list so far. So I'm going to suggestion Alexander Dumas for The Count of Monte Cristo. We had to read that in high school. The books we got were yellowed, crackling hard covers fished out of a landfill somewhere - they smelled like shit and the type was so small you needed a magnifying glass to read the crumbling, urine-stained pages. It was hell and made the story hell.

I'd like to add Louisa May Alcott's stuff, too. My English teacher tried to tell us she was striking out and having a career in a day when women couldn't do that - but she had to write because her dad was a POS and it was that or starve.

. . . I think I'm more irritated by the lies my teachers told than the books themselves. Hmm.

Arthur Miller for The Crucible

and Nathaniel Hawthorne for The Scarlet Letter.

And Charlotte Perkins Gilman should BURN IN A FIRE OF FLAMES for The Yellow Wallpaper. So much hate. So much stab-it-with-a-pitchfork-dipped-in-pitch-and-lit hate.

I feel better now.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

The Wizard

Ayn Rand. The woman couldn't write, and her philosophy was just a reaction to her upbringing in the USSR.

Personally, I like Byron and Jules Verne. And the next person who goes after Jack London is going to be gunned down.

Insanity we trust.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 25, 2010, 08:42:32 PM
James Joyce
Emily Bronte
Thomas Hardy
Lord Byron
Emily Dickenson
William Butler Yeats

All of the above wrote pure shit, and should have been infected with smallpox and dropped down a convenient sewer.

I've never read a single one of 'em.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 25, 2010, 10:15:51 PM

Dok,
Has watched CBC.

I have an extensive first old book collection, including the first collection of Emily Dickinson's poetry published in Canada - which by the way I love.
Fuck this

Dante

Jenne

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 25, 2010, 10:10:42 PM

I liked it, because of the Horrible Doom factor, but I'd have ended it differently.

Daisy had syphilis, Tom died of genital warts, and Nick Carroway watched it all in mounting horror, then made off with the silverware and the maid.

No no no no no.  You CANNOT de-select authors based on how you'd write their awful stories.

/just being mean b/c I really do like Goethe

Jenne

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on August 26, 2010, 12:12:58 AM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 25, 2010, 10:15:51 PM

Miguel de Cervantes - yeah I said it.  I hated Don Quixote, longest, most boring book I ever read! UGH!

Dok,
Has watched CBC.

I have an extensive first old book collection, including the first collection of Emily Dickinson's poetry published in Canada - which by the way I love.
Fuck this

Aw, buck up--I like Emily Dickinson too.  :D

Jenne

Quote from: Kai on August 25, 2010, 09:42:50 PM
Quote from: Jenne on August 25, 2010, 09:35:09 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 25, 2010, 09:32:19 PM
Quote from: Jenne on August 25, 2010, 09:30:54 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 25, 2010, 09:28:16 PM
Quote from: Jenne on August 25, 2010, 09:24:06 PM
LOVE Goethe!

And if you thought Don Quixote was bad, you should read motherfucking 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea!  OMG WORST BOOK EVER

Don't get me started on Jules Verne. 

I just did!  And really, he belongs on your OP list, because I really like a few of those others.  At least I did in h.s.  Now, admittedly, I'd probably find them vapid.

Jules Verne was important to the science fiction field in its early days.  But it reads like 3 day old shit.

Some people think he invented science fiction, but that credit goes to Mary Shelley.

I think I figured out a good test for good literature:

Find it on Librivox and have it read out loud to you.  If by chapter 3 you don't want to kill a motherfucker, you've chosen a true piece of lit.  If, however, you find yourself wanting to murder, strangle, maim or otherwise do violence to either the person reading the thing out loud OR its author,

then it's shit.

I don't know. I found Iliad on there, and it was a translation I didn't particularly like by a reader I didn't particularly like listening to (had no ability for epic poetry) and I had to turn it off during chapter 2. It's not universal.

But then, I prefer reading it out loud to myself late at night and freaking my roommates out with my whispers of the bloody death scenes.

I know, my theory had holes.  :D  Trust Kai to point them out (you're too smart, Kai, shoo!).

But still, if you can sit through shittily read chapter after chapter and NOT want to commit some sort of felony against a person, with blood involved, then you probably have a quality piece of work on your hands.

Prince Glittersnatch III

Quote from: Dr. James Semaj on August 25, 2010, 11:04:07 PM
Ayn Rand. The woman couldn't write, and her philosophy was just a reaction to her upbringing in the USSR.

Not to mention nothing even remotely good has ever come about from her philosophy besides Bioshock.
I mean think of all the bullshit shes given us, Tea Baggers, Glenn Beck, Glenn Beck, Bioshock 2.
Machiavelli has done more good for the world than her, and he could actually write too.

Plus she was practically the patron saint of creepy cougars. 
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

Jenne

What's wrong with creepy cougars?  *she says with an ear-to-ear grin*