News:

Where Everybody Knows You're Lame. 

Main Menu

ATTN: Western Philosophy Nerds

Started by ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞, December 09, 2010, 11:41:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NWC

Apart from what Cain pointed out, I would beef up the Modernity 2 section. Sartre, Merleau-Ponty, and Jaspers make up a big chunk of phenomenology from the second half of the 20th century. Maybe Michel Henri as well, though I don't really know how important he's considered outside of la francophonie.

Also, I would consider Fichte important enough to the Germany Ideology movement to put him in there.

Almost forgot! Super important: Hannah Arendt.

One more thing: you're dissection of Habermas only includes his political work, without making any mention of his epistemology (which is super exciting!).

Otherwise it's not bad :)
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED

NWC

I just fell onto this on stumbleupon :)
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED

Jasper

Oh wait-

Needs (well, I think so:) Dennett, Chalmers, Blackmore, Block, Damasio, Nagel, and, hell why not, Hofstadter.

Cain

I veto Chalmers, on the premise that philosophical zombies are the silliest shit I have ever encountered.

Kai

Quote from: Cain on December 22, 2010, 06:45:56 AM
I veto Chalmers, on the premise that philosophical zombies are the silliest shit I have ever encountered.

Yeah, holy shit is that stupid. I didn't even know about it till Yudowsky covered it in one of his sequences.

"People are walking around, exactly like us, down to the very molecular arrangements, except they're not conscious."

:lulz:
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

Jasper

While I also dispute Chalmers' claims, this is something of a misconstrual of his actual argument.  He does not suppose (at least in this particular argument) that these zombies actually exist.  His claim is that if it is possible in a purely conceptual sense for PZ's to exist, then qualia must exist, which, by his reasoning, means physicalism is false.

Also, being wrong does not preclude philosophers from being "important".  Philosophers, disappointingly, do not have the same victory conditions as we do.