News:

It's a bad decade to be bipedal, soft and unarmed.

Main Menu

'Lost Technologies of Ancient Egypt - Christopher Dunn'

Started by DeusExMachina, August 26, 2010, 12:33:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prince Glittersnatch III

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

DeusExMachina

I like Doug Stanhope very true.

Ill give you a few little excerpts that are interesting.

'When civilization fails for any reason, metals of all kinds become precious commodities, They became knives, spear points, scraper, fish-hooks, even plows.  Ancient Egypt underwent numerous upheavals caused by droughts, earthquakes, civil wars, religious strife, and foreign invasions. During the times of collapse, the advanced metal tools that the ancient Egyptians used were probably disassembled, cut apart, or melted down. What wasn't immediately used would corrode and disappear after thousands of years. And perhaps some other advanced technology was also employed, the remnants of which we wouldn't recognize today. Large saw blades and other machine tools, if not secreted away from armies, earthquakes, floods and mobs, would not endure very long. Over the millennia, few metal objects from our time would survive or be recognizable. Life after People, a popular cable television show that debuted in 2009, shows example after example of the deterioration of manmade objects after years, merely because of lack of maintenance. In five thousand years, approximately the timespan estimated in Lost Technologies of Ancient Egypt, almost nothing of today's technology would be left. In a world of resourceful (and destructive) human beings the devastation would be much worse than Mother Nature alone could cause; marauding bandits and nomads would re-use, recycle, or otherwise destroy even our ubiquitous automobile engine blocks and our porcelain toilet bowls!....... But to recognise their finds as evidence of ancient technologies, those future discoverers must have minds that are opened o the possibilities that Christopher Dunn has been the first to reveal. Otherwise, that advanced machine shop of the ancients could wind up stored in unnumbered boxes in the basement of the Egyptian Museum in Cairo, labeled merely as "funerary objects."'

p.xii

Here is another nice idea.

'With centuries of experiment and practice, those who worked in stone could have kept their knowledge secret, offering their finished products to leaders, priests and the wealthy. As dunn points out in this volume, even today trade secrets and proprietary knowledge are closely held, even in an educated worldwide civilization with widespread literacy and training. In Ancient times the impulse to secrecy may have been even more necessary for survival........ If the knowledge of a specific task, the operation of a given machine tool, or the procedure for laying out vast projects is resident in just a few people, maybe just one, then the loss of that person or group means the knowledge is gone forever, unless it is recorded. This is an eternal problem, not limited to the ancient Egyptians of five thousand years ago. As a modern example, in 1992 while working at the White House Science Office, I invited to a meeting there a person from the National Science Foundation. Although only peripheral to the agenda, this older scientist regaled us with a tale of a lost technology of modern times, namely how to start up the engines of the Saturn V rocket that took American astronauts to the Moon from 1969 to 1972.  Incredibly, this leading scientist averred that no one was alive who knew how to start up the engines on the largest rocket ever flown. No on had written down the standard operating procedure, and the rocket men who had developed the technique had all passed away. So in 1992 CE or 1992 BCE or further back in time, we can find sufficient examples to demonstrate that technologies are not always lost as a result of conspiracy.

p.xiii

And just a small one that i think suggests with some subtlety to not bother with the 'power plant' his first book

I have preposed in the past that higher levels of technology were used by the Ancient Egptians, but you will find in this book that i have rejected some ideas and cast doubt on all my previous assertions as to the level of technology they enjoyed. At the same time, I cast doubt on the methods of manufacture that Egyptologists have asserted were used to build the pyramids and the glorious temples in Egypt............................."By their works, ye shall know them"'

Dunn,Lost Technologies of Ancient Egypt,p.6
'Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist.'
-George Carlin

'Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.'

- Albert Einstein

DeusExMachina

Quote from: DeusExMachina on September 01, 2010, 03:44:48 PM
I like Doug Stanhope very true.
(edit, oops thought it was Doug Stanhope)

Ill give you a few little excerpts that are interesting.

'When civilization fails for any reason, metals of all kinds become precious commodities, They became knives, spear points, scraper, fish-hooks, even plows.  Ancient Egypt underwent numerous upheavals caused by droughts, earthquakes, civil wars, religious strife, and foreign invasions. During the times of collapse, the advanced metal tools that the ancient Egyptians used were probably disassembled, cut apart, or melted down. What wasn't immediately used would corrode and disappear after thousands of years. And perhaps some other advanced technology was also employed, the remnants of which we wouldn't recognize today. Large saw blades and other machine tools, if not secreted away from armies, earthquakes, floods and mobs, would not endure very long. Over the millennia, few metal objects from our time would survive or be recognizable. Life after People, a popular cable television show that debuted in 2009, shows example after example of the deterioration of manmade objects after years, merely because of lack of maintenance. In five thousand years, approximately the timespan estimated in Lost Technologies of Ancient Egypt, almost nothing of today's technology would be left. In a world of resourceful (and destructive) human beings the devastation would be much worse than Mother Nature alone could cause; marauding bandits and nomads would re-use, recycle, or otherwise destroy even our ubiquitous automobile engine blocks and our porcelain toilet bowls!....... But to recognise their finds as evidence of ancient technologies, those future discoverers must have minds that are opened o the possibilities that Christopher Dunn has been the first to reveal. Otherwise, that advanced machine shop of the ancients could wind up stored in unnumbered boxes in the basement of the Egyptian Museum in Cairo, labeled merely as "funerary objects."'

p.xii

Here is another nice idea.

'With centuries of experiment and practice, those who worked in stone could have kept their knowledge secret, offering their finished products to leaders, priests and the wealthy. As dunn points out in this volume, even today trade secrets and proprietary knowledge are closely held, even in an educated worldwide civilization with widespread literacy and training. In Ancient times the impulse to secrecy may have been even more necessary for survival........ If the knowledge of a specific task, the operation of a given machine tool, or the procedure for laying out vast projects is resident in just a few people, maybe just one, then the loss of that person or group means the knowledge is gone forever, unless it is recorded. This is an eternal problem, not limited to the ancient Egyptians of five thousand years ago. As a modern example, in 1992 while working at the White House Science Office, I invited to a meeting there a person from the National Science Foundation. Although only peripheral to the agenda, this older scientist regaled us with a tale of a lost technology of modern times, namely how to start up the engines of the Saturn V rocket that took American astronauts to the Moon from 1969 to 1972.  Incredibly, this leading scientist averred that no one was alive who knew how to start up the engines on the largest rocket ever flown. No on had written down the standard operating procedure, and the rocket men who had developed the technique had all passed away. So in 1992 CE or 1992 BCE or further back in time, we can find sufficient examples to demonstrate that technologies are not always lost as a result of conspiracy.

p.xiii

And just a small one that i think suggests with some subtlety to not bother with the 'power plant' his first book

I have preposed in the past that higher levels of technology were used by the Ancient Egptians, but you will find in this book that i have rejected some ideas and cast doubt on all my previous assertions as to the level of technology they enjoyed. At the same time, I cast doubt on the methods of manufacture that Egyptologists have asserted were used to build the pyramids and the glorious temples in Egypt............................."By their works, ye shall know them"'

Dunn,Lost Technologies of Ancient Egypt,p.6

-George Carlin

- Albert Einstein

Nurse Enabler

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 27, 2010, 06:11:29 PM
Quote from: Secret Level on August 27, 2010, 06:09:16 PM
Ancient people could do some wicked cool shit with primitive technology.  :fap: :fap: :fap:

That about sum it up?

NO, NO, PEOPLE AREN'T SMART ENOUGH TO DO THAT.

THEY HAD HELP.  ALIENS CAME ALONG WITH A FULL MACHINE SHOP, AND THEN THE HUMANS FUCKED IT UP AND TURNED THE SPACEPORT INTO A GRAVE.

DUMB LITTLE MONKEYS!  THAT'S WHY OUR GALACTIC SPACE BROTHERS™ NEVER CAME BACK!
Doktor you are so funny.
Tell me you love me.  Don't make me get the box cutters.

The Good Reverend Roger

Bump for relevance to the new thread in apple talk.   :lulz:
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Jasper

Shit made out of rocks that is fucking ruined = Irrefutable evidence of magic/super aliens/god. 

This is a known fact.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Sigmatic on December 21, 2010, 09:28:59 PM
Shit made out of rocks that is fucking ruined = Irrefutable evidence of magic/super aliens/god. 

This is a known fact.

Also, mankind is incapable of developing much of anything.  That's why we need Galactic Space Brothers™ to make stealth fighters for us.  Fortunately, they all seem to work for America.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Jasper

The LHC will, with any luck, be construed as a haunted summoning circle for hideous demons.  Or a portal to another world that people live within and start their own star god religion, until it gets gentrified and turned into a strip mall where you can buy the best star god portal action figures.

DeusExMachina

The basic premise of this book is not that the aliens came and did it, i don't know how this has crept into this thread.  It's quite simple really, people make something that looks nice, people get better than everyone else, people make techniques secret, people don't have computers or cad, people who know secrets die and don't pass on secrets.
-George Carlin

- Albert Einstein

Telarus

Quote from: DeusExMachina on December 21, 2010, 10:49:23 PM
The basic premise of this book is not that the aliens came and did it, i don't know how this has crept into this thread.  It's quite simple really, people make something that looks nice, people get better than everyone else, people make techniques secret, people don't have computers or cad, people who know secrets die and don't pass on secrets.

Pretty much.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!