News:

PD may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.  If PD splits open, do not look directly at resulting goo.  PD is still legal in 14 states.

Main Menu

Are you sure?

Started by Adios, August 27, 2010, 05:23:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thurnez Isa

I could respond that Charley but the post will be too embarrassing (to myself) so I'm not going to discuss this... sorry
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Adios

I will respect your privacy if you will respect my experiences.

Thurnez Isa

I didn't say I didn't respect your experiences. I said I find the existence of ghosts unlikely.
There's a difference between the two. I hope you see that difference.

Sort of like I'm an anti-anarchist, but I still respect the people on this board who maintains that as their political view. It's a bad example, but it's the best I could come up with.
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

How did you know it was a ghost and not otherwise?
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Phox

Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on August 27, 2010, 06:29:42 AM

Does it matter if it was a "ghost" per se? I think not. Regardless of what it was, Charley had a paranormal experience, which he believes to be a ghost, or at least equates it to one. So how it came to be, what the reality of its existence was, etc., is not something to be pedantic about. If he believes that what he saw can most accurately be described as a ghost, then does it matter if it was/is not a formerly living being or a traditional ghost as we understand it?

Adios

Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on August 27, 2010, 06:29:42 AM

I will discuss one experience. My wife, myself, 2 cats and 1 dog watched a woman walk through our living room into a bathroom with no exits. I jumped up and ran into the bathroom, which was empty. A few days later as I was showering I felt hands run down my back. No one was there or could have been there.

The Wizard

I haven't had any personal experiences myself, but I do believe in the paranormal. For one thing, we still don't know nearly enough about the world around us to start making judgments over what can't be possible or not. Until there's, in my opinion, completely sound proof that a phenomena isn't possible, then I'll keep my mind open. The rest is just tactics.

Keeping an open mind just seems like a good survival tactic. If I keep an open mind, then  I won't get killed because I'm too busy trying to pretend that whatever it is isn't possible. The Scully approach will get you in deep shit.
Insanity we trust.

LMNO

I've seen weird shit happen.  Since I can't even begin to understand how it was that I experienced what I experienced, I've chosen not to call it anything except weird shit.

Of course and as always, that's just my take on it.  If I labeled it something, that would mean (to me) that I understood what it was that happened.  I don't.  What if it wasn't a ghost, but rather the Hand of God?  What if it was a fluxxuation in the gravity field?  What if it was a microstroke?  What if it was a false memory?  What if it was a visit from the Fae?  What if the CIA flashed my memory?  Calling it any one of those things would mean I had additional evidence or understanding of what happened.  I don't.

So yeah, weird shit has happened to me.

Adios

Well, I have had several unusual things happen that I can't explain. I just allow my brain to label it for ease of conversation.

Adios

Where I grew up, if you talked about something like this, you just said what you saw. The old people would then just tell some of the things they had seen.

For those of you who don't like the labels, they rarely ever put a label on it, and I guess just considered it part of life.

Weird, huh?

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

I have had some extremely crazy things happen to me. It's left me with the view that there is measurable reality, which science can talk about and experiential reality where maybe more stuff exists, but as it isn't measurable, science can't speak to it. I use labels when talking to people that will understand the labels, I've stopped using labels around here (or even discussing such things for the most part) because it just goes badly.

Malaclypse the Younger began Discordianism as an Atheist. His experiences as a Discordian, however, disabused him of the notion.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Doktor Howl

Okay, let's assume ghosts exist. 

What then?  I mean, I hate most people, and the notion that they won't even go away if they die fills me with rage.  If there are ghosts, we need to find a way to troll them.  That is all.
Molon Lube

Doktor Howl

Quote from: phoenixofdiscordia on August 27, 2010, 06:35:17 AM

Does it matter if it was a "ghost" per se?

Did you really just say "per se"?
Molon Lube

LMNO

Quote from: Charley Brown on August 27, 2010, 04:39:20 PM
Where I grew up, if you talked about something like this, you just said what you saw. The old people would then just tell some of the things they had seen.

For those of you who don't like the labels, they rarely ever put a label on it, and I guess just considered it part of life.

Weird, huh?

I get where you're coming from.

For me (subjective opinion), the word "ghost" has implications that can't necessarily be determined from what you told me you experienced; that is, you saw the spirit or residue of a previously living human being that somehow continued on after death, maintaining its anthropomorphic shape and movement.

I know, I know.  Son of a scientist.  

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on August 27, 2010, 04:47:48 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on August 27, 2010, 04:39:20 PM

Weird, huh?

I get where you're coming from.

For me (subjective opinion), the word "ghost" has implications that can't necessarily be determined from what you told me you experienced; that is, you saw the spirit or residue of a previously living human being that somehow continued on after death, maintaining its anthropomorphic shape and movement.

I know, I know.  Son of a scientist.  

But 'ghost' is easier to type than 'paranormal'.