News:

It's not laughter if you're just going through the muscle movements you remember from the times you actually gave a fuck.

Main Menu

Are you sure?

Started by Adios, August 27, 2010, 05:23:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 27, 2010, 06:42:42 PM
Quote from: Secret Level on August 27, 2010, 06:35:14 PM
Maybe the paranormal is afraid of Dok Howl? I could just imagine a ghost or some shit trying to haunt him. It would not end well the haunt.

More like frustration.  I'd just write off a ghost as lingering cactus hallucinations.  Eventually, the ghost would write me off as retarded and leave.

:lulz:

Don Coyote

Maybe the paranormal is afraid of Dok Howl? I could just imagine a ghost or some shit trying to haunt him. It would not end well the haunt.

More like frustration.  I'd just write off a ghost as lingering cactus hallucinations.  Eventually, the ghost would write me off as retarded and leave.

"Fucking hell dude, I am like trying to tell you some really fucking important shit. PAY FUCKING ATTENTION!!!!!"
"Fuck me, what was in this cactus. Normally they aren't so talkative. Fucking hallucinations."
"Fuck you asshole, I'm off to go try to reach someone else to warn them of the impending doom of humanity"

So, if we all die, it's Dok Howl's fault.

And....I drug this a wee bit OT.

Back on topic.
I lived in a house that was haunted. My mother saw the woman. I tend to believe her, she isn't dumb. My sister claims to have seen it, she is excitable and was young when she did. They never lived in that house, just visited it. I spent 3 years in this haunted house. Saw NOTHING. But every fucking night I would hear foot steps coming from the second story. Shit fucking pissed me. That is my, might have been something, but I think it was just shit settling all the fucking time.

I've encountered other shit that I will accept as being real shit that didn't make sense, random localized cold spots and shit out the corner of my eye, that is probably just my imagination...

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

:mittens:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Epimetheus

QuoteAre you sure?

Nope.
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Adios

Jasper

It's a better answer than we might suppose.  We are forced to operate on unguaranteed, uninsured, unverified hardware, and trusting our brains is probably the easiest mistake an intelligence can make.  More and more, we're discovering that thoughts, memories, and perceptions are not as perfect.  Perceptions are untrustworthy, at least until they are verified by many different people, in many different times and places, and well documented.  The caveat is that life isn't really like that, and you have to make decisions with little or no data, and plenty of disinformation.  We don't have the luxury of perfect rational agency, most of the time.

So I guess my latest and greatest thoughts on Weird Shit is that if it makes sense to you, with the limited given facts and resources at your disposal, to act as if ghosts exist, then that's your prerogative. 

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

I've seen and felt a lot of logically inexplicable stuff. A lot to me, anyway. I like to think that all possibilities exist - ghosts, energetic memories impressed upon a location, parallel universes, etc. I don't know where, what, or how, but I like pondering the ideas and what could cause it.

Once I was shot by a dead man. I was in the tunnel connecting two admin buildings and a man in a tweed suit and a really pissed off expression appeared before me, pointed a gun, and pulled the trigger. I felt the impact on my chest like the sensation you get when a bee buzzes past your ear. And my shirt had a really thin, pale spot where the 'bullet' hit. It freaked me the hell out.

I don't know if it matters but I was twenty minutes from Gettysburg at the time.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Adios

Quote from: Sigmatic on August 27, 2010, 09:22:59 PM
It's a better answer than we might suppose.  We are forced to operate on unguaranteed, uninsured, unverified hardware, and trusting our brains is probably the easiest mistake an intelligence can make.  More and more, we're discovering that thoughts, memories, and perceptions are not as perfect.  Perceptions are untrustworthy, at least until they are verified by many different people, in many different times and places, and well documented.  The caveat is that life isn't really like that, and you have to make decisions with little or no data, and plenty of disinformation.  We don't have the luxury of perfect rational agency, most of the time.

So I guess my latest and greatest thoughts on Weird Shit is that if it makes sense to you, with the limited given facts and resources at your disposal, to act as if ghosts exist, then that's your prerogative. 

This is all good points.

Nast

I haven't really experienced anything paranormal in my life.

The closest things is when I got a horrible "vibe" from a seemingly normal stranger standing on the street. As I approached, I got a funny feeling that something wasn't quite right, like when someone's staring at you for too long. And as I got even closer a terrible feeling of fear welled up in me and actually I broke out into a run. I was with my mom at the time, and she said that she felt it too.

That isn't very unusual, I guess, but I walk by scary bums and tweakers all the time and don't get the same feeling of raw danger like I did then. Maybe he was a murderer or rapist?
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Adios

Thanks for sharing your experiences guys.

Nast

My personal opinion is that people see what they see, and that dismissing their experiences on basis that it lies outside of testable, verifiable science is wrong.

I for one enjoy hearing about other people's weird experiences, even if I don't necessarily believe in it myself. After all, distinguishing what is Reality (which is weird anyway) from what is a product of our flawed meat consciousness is difficult, and a lot of the time we don't end up with a satisfying answer.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Adios

Quote from: Nast on August 27, 2010, 10:16:53 PM

The closest things is when I got a horrible "vibe" from a seemingly normal stranger standing on the street. As I approached, I got a funny feeling that something wasn't quite right, like when someone's staring at you for too long. And as I got even closer a terrible feeling of fear welled up in me and actually I broke out into a run. I was with my mom at the time, and she said that she felt it too.

That isn't very unusual, I guess, but I walk by scary bums and tweakers all the time and don't get the same feeling of raw danger like I did then. Maybe he was a murderer or rapist?

I think this, whatever it is, is real. I have seen the friendliest dogs in the world snarl and avoid a person, for no apparent reason at all. I have met or seen people that made me want to respond in the same way.

Nast

Quote from: Charley Brown on August 27, 2010, 11:09:39 PM
Quote from: Nast on August 27, 2010, 10:16:53 PM

I think this, whatever it is, is real. I have seen the friendliest dogs in the world snarl and avoid a person, for no apparent reason at all. I have met or seen people that made me want to respond in the same way.

I think it's real too, but I don't have an explanation. It seems to go deeper than body language, or if it is that, it's a very subtle aspect of it. If you see someone with their fists clenched and an angry expression on their face, you obviously know they're angry and to avoid them. But if someone's just standing there doing nothing in particular, how can you tell?

Adios

Maybe one of the smart people has an explanation, I sure don't.

Juana

I know what you mean on that, actually. I have learned to listen to that "there's-something-wrong-with-that-person" vibe. Tipped me off to a psycho (as in, legitimately deranged) and a pedo. I think it's biological, sort of like the uncanny valley in some ways (I read a suggestion somewhere that said that it's triggered by something telling us there's something wrong - mental illness, disease, etc. - with a person. I can't find the theory anywhere right now :sad: ). Maybe it's something like that?
"I dispose of obsolete meat machines.  Not because I hate them (I do) and not because they deserve it (they do), but because they are in the way and those older ones don't meet emissions codes.  They emit too much.  You don't like them and I don't like them, so spare me the hysteria."