News:

Goddammit.  Another truckload of bees.

Main Menu

Facebook can cost you your job

Started by Adios, August 27, 2010, 05:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2010/08/26/prism.social.media.work.cnn?hpt=C2

Germany so far is the only country taking steps to preventing potential employers from using social media to determine hiring practices.

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Charley Brown on August 27, 2010, 05:58:05 PM
http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/world/2010/08/26/prism.social.media.work.cnn?hpt=C2

Germany so far is the only country taking steps to preventing potential employers from using social media to determine hiring practices.

I disagree with Germany.  If you're dumb enough to smear yourself IN PUBLIC, then an employer has the right to react to that.
Molon Lube

East Coast Hustle

troof. It's not hard to adjust your facebook settings so that people can't view your profile, pics, etc. unless you want them to. It's also not hard to not put shit on your FB page that would cause an employer to not want to hire you. I've gone as far as threatening physical violence towards people unless they un-tag me in pictures, and it's worked quite well.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 27, 2010, 05:59:52 PM

I disagree with Germany.  If you're dumb enough to smear yourself IN PUBLIC, then an employer has the right to react to that.

I have to agree with Dok on this one.  We are not allowed access to Facebook, MySpace or any social places like that at work and our owner monitors everyone's pages.  If we are found to mention our workplace or fellow employees or supervisors etc on our page in a negative way we will get fired!

It sucks, but, It's not like it is up for debate in the office.

Adios

Well, from a different viewpoint, what about what you say and do on your own time? Should your employer have the right to monitor your personal life and make job determinations based on it?

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Charley Brown on August 27, 2010, 06:06:22 PM
Well, from a different viewpoint, what about what you say and do on your own time? Should your employer have the right to monitor your personal life and make job determinations based on it?

I get piss tested once a month.  In my particular job, there's good reason for that.

I see no difference.

Also, if you're dumb enough to post pics of yourself puking on your shoes in a public format, in the open, I have the right to make value decisions about you.
Molon Lube

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 27, 2010, 05:59:52 PM

I disagree with Germany.  If you're dumb enough to smear yourself IN PUBLIC, then an employer has the right to react to that.

I agree with this guy.  Willful ignorance of the sites settings to guard yourself from the prying eyes of people you don't want to know what you're sharing is no excuse either.  No one forced anyone to start a facebook, you take responsibility for your actions on the internets.  Companies should be making the best hiring decisions they can based on all information to which they have access.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Thurnez Isa

My opinion is really quite simple. If you wish for your page to remain private then I don't think your employer has any right to come close to it, and if you wish for your page to remain public then I also don't think your employer has any right to come close to it, unless your using it at work.
I would like to know when it is that your job has become all encompassing of your life. When your not at work, YOUR free time should be just that.
No opinion on the law as I have next to no knowledge of the legal system in Germany.
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Cuddlefish

I'm kinda split on this. On one hand, I agree that what you do with your personal time is none of your employers business. On the other hand, if you want to put pictures of yourself all over the interbutts while screaming "look at me being all Ca-Razy!!" then you have no right to bitch when someone does look at you, and comes to the inevitable conclusion that you're a shitneck.
A fisher of men, or a manner of fish?

Doktor Howl

So, if I stood butt-ass naked and covered in vomit, singing show tunes, my boss has no right to use that as a means of making a decision about me?

If I was in my house, I'd agree.

If I was standing on the outside of the refinery fence, I'd disagree.

Private page is private.

Public page is PUBLIC.
Molon Lube

Adios

I guess I am on the other side of this. I like to post political issues on facebook. If an employer has a differing viewpoint them I am either disqualified or fired.

Freedom of speech squished.

Thurnez Isa

So what if your shithead?
Unless you have a employer has to maintain a public face, and that could cost business (and even then it better be in the contract you sign), I still don't see how it's any of their buisness.
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Charley Brown on August 27, 2010, 06:14:59 PM
I guess I am on the other side of this. I like to post political issues on facebook. If an employer has a differing viewpoint them I am either disqualified or fired.

It is?  The first amendment only protects you from government punishment for speech, not social consequences.
Molon Lube

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 27, 2010, 06:08:54 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on August 27, 2010, 06:06:22 PM

I get piss tested once a month.  In my particular job, there's good reason for that.

I see no difference.

Also, if you're dumb enough to post pics of yourself puking on your shoes in a public format, in the open, I have the right to make value decisions about you.

And to take that one step further, posting pics of yourself puking on your shoes publicly is just one step shy of being that guy who gets puking drunk in public, or at least gives the impression that you are that sort of person.
Kep your fucking FB private, and don't friend every fucking dbag you have ever known.
My BC (battalion commander) tried twice to get me to friend her, she had several other soldiers friended, then got bitchy when someone was venting about some unit bullshit, and got even more bitchy when someone else told her to basically chill. Which in turn slowly spiral out of control IRL.

I keep my shit locked up.

I thought freedom of speech only applied to government, not other private entities.

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 27, 2010, 06:18:31 PM

It is?  The first amendment only protects you from government punishment for speech, not social consequences.

Symantics?