News:

Living proof that any damn fool can make things more complex

Main Menu

Facebook can cost you your job

Started by Adios, August 27, 2010, 05:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

maphdet

Quote from: Jerry_Frankster on August 27, 2010, 09:02:00 PM
Anything on the internet with my real name attached is designed to be seen by employers and other people whom I want to think that I am an upstanding citizen and shit.

I actually never use my real name unless absolutely necessary. My mailman probably thinks there are 30 different people living in my apartment.

My real first name isn't Jerry, BTW.

This solves it.
I wish I was in Tijuana
Eating barbequed iguana-

Rumckle

Quote from: Charley Brown on August 27, 2010, 08:50:27 PM
Quote from: curiosity on August 27, 2010, 08:49:20 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on August 27, 2010, 08:48:00 PM
Quote from: curiosity on August 27, 2010, 08:45:29 PM
I dunno. I agree with Doktor Howl. If you're going to display your retardation for all to see, employers should be allowed to factor that in. Other people are going to do the same. Part of getting a job is selling yourself as a valuable commodity that the employer should be all over like mice on peanut butter. Vomit-covered drunks aren't that valuable.

Someone has a bad night, someone else snaps a pic.

Beat them with a rat flail until they take it off the internet?

Too late. You have already labeled them as a vomit covered drunk that has no value.

This, I mean you can un-tag yourself, but if the employer wanted to dig up dirt on you, the photo is still there.

Also, LMNO is right, they can always make up some other shit about why you were fired. Also, I doubt the mgmt would do an in depth search of everyone, just the people who are suspect, so if your page is private, no problem. (and if you add your boss to facebook you probably deserve to be fired)

It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Rumckle

Quote from: Requia ☣ on August 27, 2010, 08:38:57 PM

And if somebody else with the same first and last name is dumb enough to do it, you should also suffer!

I think people may realise it wasn't you. Of course you could always try Cram's Chaff Idea
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on August 27, 2010, 08:35:20 PM
Not to mention, they don't even need to say the word Facebook when they fire you.

It's pretty easy to mock up some crap about "productivity" or "performance" issues.  They may have fired you because they saw your tits on the internet, but the official documents will cite "a lack of productivity."

What if they were lactating?
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Iason Ouabache

KYFMS applies doubly to Facebook. Make as much of your shit private as you can.
You cannot fathom the immensity of the fuck i do not give.
    \
┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘┌( ಠ_ಠ)┘

E.O.T.

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 27, 2010, 06:35:05 PM
Quote from: Exit City Hustle on August 27, 2010, 06:34:37 PM
At first blush, and without giving it deep consideration, on a personal level I would tend to disagree with firing an employee based on something on their FB page that had nothing to do with their job, but am totally fine with not hiring someone to begin with because of something they've made publicly available on the internet.

I could agree with that.

and this
"a good fight justifies any cause"

AFK

This is exactly why I killed my RWHN Facebook account.  As my job was becoming more and more public, I realized that any linkage between my real name and RWHN could get me into some trouble.  Even though I don't think I've done or said anything to raise any doubts in the publics' eyes or my employers, but it was more of not wanting to test the waters.

So now I just have the one under my real name which is all about posting cute pictures of the families and posting links, stories, etc., related to my profession. 

I mean, it's bad enough that I have to contend with someone from Maine having the same name as me, right down to the middle name, who is a convicted arsonist. 
Cynicism is a blank check for failure.