News:

MysticWicks endorsement: "In other words, Discordianism, like postmodernism, means never having to say your sorry."

Main Menu

Facebook can cost you your job

Started by Adios, August 27, 2010, 05:58:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on August 27, 2010, 06:46:05 PM
I don't talk about my job on the internet because it's really fucking boring.  Who wants to hear about Section 38a-1 of the SEC code all day?

:fap:
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Adios

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on August 27, 2010, 06:47:02 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on August 27, 2010, 06:31:51 PM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on August 27, 2010, 06:26:14 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on August 27, 2010, 06:14:59 PM
I guess I am on the other side of this. I like to post political issues on facebook. If an employer has a differing viewpoint them I am either disqualified or fired.

Freedom of speech squished.

I can't agree that this is a freedom of speech issue, as no one is silencing your opinion. Now,the hiring manager MAY disagree with your view, or your views may conflict with the philosophy of the company culture and effect how well you'll fit in, which I think is a valid consideration since you'll be spending at least 8 hours a day around this person.  Also, if you're that vocal politically on your facebook, whats to say you wont be striking up politically charged conversations in the break room?  I rage whenever someone at work starts giving me their take on the latest hot topic coming out of washington or my state government.  If I wanted to hear and talk about that shit, I'll go to a website or rally or some such shit.  I'm at work to do the companies business.

Also, the way you behave in toto reflects on your company.  You might end up being involved with clients and customers.  Nothing stops THEM from looking you up on facebook and seeing that you're a complete asshat, and the fact that the company they're doing business with would hire someone who doesn't even know how to set their facebook to private reflects on the company.

If credit checks are a valid way to see how someone manages their own finances before you put them in charge of a companies, then what you're stupid enough to put on the internets should be able to be used to determine just how much of a fuckup you could potentially be at your job.

What's to say I will?

See, what this opinion is setting up (to me) is allowing companies to control your private life. As long as, when I am at work, I am doing my job and not causing trouble, then IMO what I do in my offtime is not any business of the company.

Of course there are going to be exceptions. If I said on fb that my company sucked and my boss was a prick, then it may need to be looked at, for instance.

YOU control your private life and how much of it you share with the world.  I don't take pictures of myself doing the stupid shit I do, so the only people that find out about it are the people stupid enough to do it with me.  

a company controls who it wants to bring into its culture and pay to do a job.  It's an area of Risk Management, and you'll find HR and Risk Management people think the same way, and may even share departments.  An employee is an asset.  The company will spend money to train you and groom you to do the job they need done.  In this regard, they need to choose the best person they can based on available information.

and really, even the small part of me that says this IS a little discriminatory based on what would normally be private info, I go back to things like references for instance: say you give a personal reference, they call the person but turns out the person you gave has a grudge you don't know about and dishes on some stupid shit you do in your down time.  A hiring manager will consider that when deciding to hire you.

If you put the information out there, expect people to look at it.  If you want your private life to be private, don't put it on the public internet.

Stopped reading at bolded part. An employee IS A FUCKING HUMAN BEING.

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Charley Brown on August 27, 2010, 06:49:14 PM
I guess I am on the other side of this. I like to post political issues on facebook. If an employer has a differing viewpoint them I am either disqualified or fired.

I can't agree that this is a freedom of speech issue, as no one is silencing your opinion. Now,the hiring manager MAY disagree with your view, or your views may conflict with the philosophy of the company culture and effect how well you'll fit in, which I think is a valid consideration since you'll be spending at least 8 hours a day around this person.  Also, if you're that vocal politically on your facebook, whats to say you wont be striking up politically charged conversations in the break room?  I rage whenever someone at work starts giving me their take on the latest hot topic coming out of washington or my state government.  If I wanted to hear and talk about that shit, I'll go to a website or rally or some such shit.  I'm at work to do the companies business.

Also, the way you behave in toto reflects on your company.  You might end up being involved with clients and customers.  Nothing stops THEM from looking you up on facebook and seeing that you're a complete asshat, and the fact that the company they're doing business with would hire someone who doesn't even know how to set their facebook to private reflects on the company.

If credit checks are a valid way to see how someone manages their own finances before you put them in charge of a companies, then what you're stupid enough to put on the internets should be able to be used to determine just how much of a fuckup you could potentially be at your job.

What's to say I will?

See, what this opinion is setting up (to me) is allowing companies to control your private life. As long as, when I am at work, I am doing my job and not causing trouble, then IMO what I do in my offtime is not any business of the company.

Of course there are going to be exceptions. If I said on fb that my company sucked and my boss was a prick, then it may need to be looked at, for instance.

YOU control your private life and how much of it you share with the world.  I don't take pictures of myself doing the stupid shit I do, so the only people that find out about it are the people stupid enough to do it with me.  

a company controls who it wants to bring into its culture and pay to do a job.  It's an area of Risk Management, and you'll find HR and Risk Management people think the same way, and may even share departments.  An employee is an asset.  The company will spend money to train you and groom you to do the job they need done.  In this regard, they need to choose the best person they can based on available information.

and really, even the small part of me that says this IS a little discriminatory based on what would normally be private info, I go back to things like references for instance: say you give a personal reference, they call the person but turns out the person you gave has a grudge you don't know about and dishes on some stupid shit you do in your down time.  A hiring manager will consider that when deciding to hire you.

If you put the information out there, expect people to look at it.  If you want your private life to be private, don't put it on the public internet.

Of course they are.  But once they're being paid, whether it's by an individual or a corporate entity, and they're expected to perform a job to a certain standard, the work they do has value, and is therefore an asset.

so maybe I should have said their time and work they do for the company is an asset.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Jenne

I "sign" something digitally every day saying that if I disclose ANYTHING about my job, I can be fired.  Period.  That limits my conversation about my job in a big way.  :lol:

That being said, I have a shit-ton of people from work on my FB, mostly because I hate the damned thing (I've said that before), but I don't mind reading up on what people are up to.  I use it, and I'm open on this, to lurk and read/voyeur, but my private life is pretty much off the clock.  It's just not worth the hassle of private vs. public, and it's on the interbutts, anyway.

I decided a while back that myspace and FB wouldn't be crucial to my survival OR my networking with those I care about.  A curiosity piece is really all I use it for.  There's too much that's unsettled about individuals' rights and employers' rights on this issue for me to be able to wade through on a day to day basis.

East Coast Hustle

I can't agree that this is a freedom of speech issue, as no one is silencing your opinion. Now,the hiring manager MAY disagree with your view, or your views may conflict with the philosophy of the company culture and effect how well you'll fit in, which I think is a valid consideration since you'll be spending at least 8 hours a day around this person.  Also, if you're that vocal politically on your facebook, whats to say you wont be striking up politically charged conversations in the break room? I rage whenever someone at work starts giving me their take on the latest hot topic coming out of washington or my state government.  If I wanted to hear and talk about that shit, I'll go to a website or rally or some such shit.  I'm at work to do the companies business.

Also, the way you behave in toto reflects on your company.  You might end up being involved with clients and customers.  Nothing stops THEM from looking you up on facebook and seeing that you're a complete asshat, and the fact that the company they're doing business with would hire someone who doesn't even know how to set their facebook to private reflects on the company.

What's to say I will?

YOU control your private life and how much of it you share with the world.  I don't take pictures of myself doing the stupid shit I do, so the only people that find out about it are the people stupid enough to do it with me. 

a company controls who it wants to bring into its culture and pay to do a job.  It's an area of Risk Management, and you'll find HR and Risk Management people think the same way, and may even share departments.  An employee is an asset. The company will spend money to train you and groom you to do the job they need done.  In this regard, they need to choose the best person they can based on available information.

and really, even the small part of me that says this IS a little discriminatory based on what would normally be private info, I go back to things like references for instance: say you give a personal reference, they call the person but turns out the person you gave has a grudge you don't know about and dishes on some stupid shit you do in your down time.  A hiring manager will consider that when deciding to hire you.

If you put the information out there, expect people to look at it.  If you want your private life to be private, don't put it on the public internet.

not that I totally disagree, but you're tilting at windmills.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Adios

Quote from: Exit City Hustle on August 27, 2010, 06:57:32 PM

I can't agree that this is a freedom of speech issue, as no one is silencing your opinion. Now,the hiring manager MAY disagree with your view, or your views may conflict with the philosophy of the company culture and effect how well you'll fit in, which I think is a valid consideration since you'll be spending at least 8 hours a day around this person.  Also, if you're that vocal politically on your facebook, whats to say you wont be striking up politically charged conversations in the break room? I rage whenever someone at work starts giving me their take on the latest hot topic coming out of washington or my state government.  If I wanted to hear and talk about that shit, I'll go to a website or rally or some such shit.  I'm at work to do the companies business.

Also, the way you behave in toto reflects on your company.  You might end up being involved with clients and customers.  Nothing stops THEM from looking you up on facebook and seeing that you're a complete asshat, and the fact that the company they're doing business with would hire someone who doesn't even know how to set their facebook to private reflects on the company.

What's to say I will?

YOU control your private life and how much of it you share with the world.  I don't take pictures of myself doing the stupid shit I do, so the only people that find out about it are the people stupid enough to do it with me. 

a company controls who it wants to bring into its culture and pay to do a job.  It's an area of Risk Management, and you'll find HR and Risk Management people think the same way, and may even share departments.  An employee is an asset. The company will spend money to train you and groom you to do the job they need done.  In this regard, they need to choose the best person they can based on available information.

and really, even the small part of me that says this IS a little discriminatory based on what would normally be private info, I go back to things like references for instance: say you give a personal reference, they call the person but turns out the person you gave has a grudge you don't know about and dishes on some stupid shit you do in your down time.  A hiring manager will consider that when deciding to hire you.

If you put the information out there, expect people to look at it.  If you want your private life to be private, don't put it on the public internet.

not that I totally disagree, but you're tilting at windmills.

2/3 windmills deserve it.

Doktor Howl

I'm with Charley on that one.

If you allow yourself to become an "asset" or a "resource", then you deserve it.
Molon Lube

NWC

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on August 27, 2010, 06:48:02 PM
A lot of dismissals I was involved in, in fact all I was personally involved in, was wrongful.
When you get a job you should get copies of your contract and go over it with a fine comb. Cause you have lots of rights as a worker, but there no one but YOU stand up for them. I could tell you from personal experience even your union half the time wont do anything to help you unless you make a fuss.

I was all but let go for talking about the Principia at a temp job once. The managers were SUPER christian, and I was reading it during a break, so they brought it up, and the next day $100 were missing from my register, and so they had to suspend me. I quit right after, having found a much better job, but I'm not a fool. I didn't take the money, and the manager who didn't like my interest in non-cristianity counted the drawer and suspended me.

I learned to shut the fuck up about what I think around the manager. It's not right, but it happens, and I shouldn't have been flaunting that book, which brings up a sensitive topic, around the workplace, I knew these guys were crazy-ass christians. I completely disagree with what happened there, but if it had been a book about how to hide corpses or some creepy shit like that, I would understand them wanting to get me out of there.

But when it comes to the issue of giving an air of irresponsibility in a public seeing space, I simply can't blame the manager for not wanting to work with irresponsible people. If I, as a manager, saw that someone was an irresponsible person in town square - which is the analog equivalent to a public facebook page - but I couldn't let that affect my hiring decision, I would be super pissed.

That being said, fuck those guys who said I stole $100.
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED

Dysfunctional Cunt

Quote from: Jenne on August 27, 2010, 06:55:53 PM
I "sign" something digitally every day saying that if I disclose ANYTHING about my job, I can be fired.  Period.  That limits my conversation about my job in a big way.  :lol:

That being said, I have a shit-ton of people from work on my FB, mostly because I hate the damned thing (I've said that before), but I don't mind reading up on what people are up to.  I use it, and I'm open on this, to lurk and read/voyeur, but my private life is pretty much off the clock.  It's just not worth the hassle of private vs. public, and it's on the interbutts, anyway.

I decided a while back that myspace and FB wouldn't be crucial to my survival OR my networking with those I care about.  A curiosity piece is really all I use it for.  There's too much that's unsettled about individuals' rights and employers' rights on this issue for me to be able to wade through on a day to day basis.

I'm in the same position.  I do not post anything on my FB that I wouldn't say directly to my boss.  My private life has to remain private for my survival, so I generally keep my mouth shut everywhere.  Some of y'all know more about me than people I have worked with for 5 years now.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

In all honesty, I get off easy... my manager and the VP I work under know all about me, my life and I think strongly suspect some details on my choices in recreation. However, they don't appear to give a damn. If they had, I would have left the company years ago.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Thurnez Isa

Quote from: NWC on August 27, 2010, 07:01:21 PM
A lot of dismissals I was involved in, in fact all I was personally involved in, was wrongful.
When you get a job you should get copies of your contract and go over it with a fine comb. Cause you have lots of rights as a worker, but there no one but YOU stand up for them. I could tell you from personal experience even your union half the time wont do anything to help you unless you make a fuss.

I was all but let go for talking about the Principia at a temp job once. The managers were SUPER christian, and I was reading it during a break, so they brought it up, and the next day $100 were missing from my register, and so they had to suspend me. I quit right after, having found a much better job, but I'm not a fool. I didn't take the money, and the manager who didn't like my interest in non-cristianity counted the drawer and suspended me.

I learned to shut the fuck up about what I think around the manager. It's not right, but it happens, and I shouldn't have been flaunting that book, which brings up a sensitive topic, around the workplace, I knew these guys were crazy-ass christians. I completely disagree with what happened there, but if it had been a book about how to hide corpses or some creepy shit like that, I would understand them wanting to get me out of there.

But when it comes to the issue of giving an air of irresponsibility in a public seeing space, I simply can't blame the manager for not wanting to work with irresponsible people. If I, as a manager, saw that someone was an irresponsible person in town square - which is the analog equivalent to a public facebook page - but I couldn't let that affect my hiring decision, I would be super pissed.

I don't know American law. I could say in every service place I've been it, and everywhere I know, employees count their own till and management double checks its. The two counts are then are compared.
Management is NOT allowed to count your till if you tell them I wanna count it first.
Through me the way to the city of woe, Through me the way to everlasting pain, Through me the way among the lost.
Justice moved my maker on high.
Divine power made me, Wisdom supreme, and Primal love.
Before me nothing was but things eternal, and eternal I endure.
Abandon all hope, you who enter here.

Dante

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Doktor Howl on August 27, 2010, 07:01:08 PM

If you allow yourself to become an "asset" or a "resource", then you deserve it.

maybe I'm not being clear, maybe we just disagree, I'm thinking of this not just as an employee myself, but hopefully a future employer of people:

I consider myself, what I know and do, the time I've put in to learn what I do for a living to be an asset to ME.  It has value to me personally and the value I consider it in terms of what it's worth to a company reflects in the salary that I ask for.  Of course I'm still a person, not an ant in a colony, though from that viewpoint you could say that if a drone ant could no longer fuck the queen, he'd cease to have value to the colony.  If I no longer had a working brain, I would cease to be able to command my salary.  

I am a person with a skill that a company can use.  What I do in my private life may not necessarily directly effect that skill, but that depends on the job.  Either way, what I do in a public forum, whether it be the internet or the town square, reflects on me as a person.

I think a company should be able to use that information to determine the quality of work you would do and the judgements you would make while being paid to do your job.

Or maybe I'm just getting off on a tangent here and you should tell me to STFU N00b and go back to work.

anyway, good thread.
"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter." --William Ralph Inge

"sometimes someone confesses a sin in order to take credit for it." -- John Von Neumann

Adios

Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on August 27, 2010, 07:16:34 PM

maybe I'm not being clear, maybe we just disagree, I'm thinking of this not just as an employee myself, but hopefully a future employer of people:

I consider myself, what I know and do, the time I've put in to learn what I do for a living to be an asset to ME.  It has value to me personally and the value I consider it in terms of what it's worth to a company reflects in the salary that I ask for.  Of course I'm still a person, not an ant in a colony, though from that viewpoint you could say that if a drone ant could no longer fuck the queen, he'd cease to have value to the colony.  If I no longer had a working brain, I would cease to be able to command my salary.  

I am a person with a skill that a company can use.  What I do in my private life may not necessarily directly effect that skill, but that depends on the job.  Either way, what I do in a public forum, whether it be the internet or the town square, reflects on me as a person.

I think a company should be able to use that information to determine the quality of work you would do and the judgements you would make while being paid to do your job.

Or maybe I'm just getting off on a tangent here and you should tell me to STFU N00b and go back to work.

anyway, good thread.

You are just another Good Citizen™.

NWC

Quote from: Thurnez Isa on August 27, 2010, 07:12:19 PM
Quote from: NWC on August 27, 2010, 07:01:21 PM

I don't know American law. I could say in every service place I've been it, and everywhere I know, employees count their own till and management double checks its. The two counts are then are compared.
Management is NOT allowed to count your till if you tell them I wanna count it first.

That's usually how it is, this is the only time I've seen it differently. It was a fireworks store at which each till would run around $1300/hour, and they didn't trust anyone. Every other place I've had a register at, I was the only one to count it, the managers always trusted me, sometimes even more than they trusted themselves to do the math.
PROSECUTORS WILL BE TRANSGRESSICUTED

Disco Pickle

Quote from: Charley Brown on August 27, 2010, 07:19:27 PM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on August 27, 2010, 07:16:34 PM

anyway, good thread.

You are just another Good Citizen™.

dirty pool sir, dirty pool.

I have a family to support, and I truly enjoy my work.  I create things that have benefit to people and that didn't exist before I thought of them.  Every day.

also, survival requires people to either be gainfully employeed, born into vast wealth, or sucking on the social teat of government.

Yeah, maybe I am a cog in a machine somewhere, but personally I don't like living on the streets.  Been there done that.

doesn't mean I can't create a little chaos every now and again when the mood strikes me.