Main Menu

PD Wine Review

Started by Adios, August 27, 2010, 11:03:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adios

Quote from: Nurse Enabler on September 08, 2010, 07:22:08 PM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on August 28, 2010, 06:48:33 AM
Quote from: Sigmatic on August 28, 2010, 06:47:12 AM
I'm glad to see this thread.  I used to talk about wines more, but I'd fallen out of the habit lately.

I used to work in a liquor store and knew my wines. Then I started specializing in beer. And there is a lot of good beer, but I miss being the guy who could tell you all about wine. This thread is really welcome.

Which beer is best to cook brots in.

Cheap and foamy.

LMNO

Lager/pilsner.  German style.

Suu

Quote from: Charley Brown on September 01, 2010, 10:47:24 AM
Since the hag my wife worked with we decided to drink Ding Dong the Witch is Red.

Nice table wine, slightly dry and fruity. Lingering finish that works well with wine crackers. Very well filtered wine, with no bottom residue at all.

This would go very well with any sweeter beef dish.

These labels are great.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on September 08, 2010, 07:43:00 PM
Lager/pilsner.  German style.

I like to use darker beers since those don't really add enough flavor for me.
But that's my tastebuds.

Adios

Quote from: Doktor Princess on September 09, 2010, 04:06:50 AM
Quote from: Charley Brown on September 01, 2010, 10:47:24 AM
Since the hag my wife worked with we decided to drink Ding Dong the Witch is Red.

Nice table wine, slightly dry and fruity. Lingering finish that works well with wine crackers. Very well filtered wine, with no bottom residue at all.

This would go very well with any sweeter beef dish.

These labels are great.

They are. When we first found this winery we thought it was a gimmick, which it is. But the wine is also excellent, and all in the $18 to $35 range.

Ms. Gulchs Incredible Ride
Ruby Slippers
Ding Dong the Wine is Red
OEO
Angry Trees
Sip & Think Some More
Run Toto Run
Witch in a Ditch
Emerald City Lights
We're Off
I'll Get You My Pretty
Yellow Brick Road
Witch Gone Good
Auntie Em's Prairie Rose

Sir Squid Diddimus

Some that I've had recently:

Rex Goliath 47 pound rooster-
chardonnay, pinot grigio, cabernet sauv, shiraz and merlot
(5.99 a bottle+$1 off on 2 coupons. THRIFT) they didn't suck, but they're not high quality. you can tell they use the pressing where the seeds become crushed for the reds.

Adios

Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on September 10, 2010, 05:23:12 AM

(5.99 a bottle+$1 off on 2 coupons. THRIFT) they didn't suck, but they're not high quality. you can tell they use the pressing where the seeds become crushed for the reds.

I am learning about the different grapes used to make different wines. OZ doesn't have a vineyard, they buy their grapes. For a thrift wine we drink Franzia box wine. Sunset blush.

Payne

Quote from: Charley Brown on August 28, 2010, 04:31:05 AM
I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.
W. C. Fields

Pixie bought this sign for my friend we stayed with in Edinburgh last trip up. He loved it. I didn't known the attribution though, will be sure to tell him it's a W.C. Fields quote.

This same friend is the guy I let choose all the wine I drink now. He has excellent taste, and I've been utterly spoiled by it.

I bought a glass of wine in a pub a while back and it tasted so horrifically bad I thought it was off. No. It's just how most shitty wine tastes, and I'm not used to shitty wine :(

LMNO

I could have sworn that was Julia Child.

Adios

Nope, W.C Fields said it. Sorry.

Adios

Tonight I will be tasting a Pink Catawba. Instead of with the meal, I will serve it after the meal.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Charley Brown on September 08, 2010, 07:35:32 PM
I'm glad to see this thread.  I used to talk about wines more, but I'd fallen out of the habit lately.

I used to work in a liquor store and knew my wines. Then I started specializing in beer. And there is a lot of good beer, but I miss being the guy who could tell you all about wine. This thread is really welcome.

Cheap and foamy.

but just like cooking with wine, don't use anything you wouldn't drink.

also I agree with Squid, prefer dark beers.

although the cheaper brown beers/amber beers are usually a bit too sweet for my tastes.

although you don't need to use much beer to get the flavour, in fact better start with less than use too much.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Adios

Quote from: Triple Zero on September 15, 2010, 06:00:05 PM
Quote from: Charley Brown on September 08, 2010, 07:35:32 PM

Cheap and foamy.

but just like cooking with wine, don't use anything you wouldn't drink.

also I agree with Squid, prefer dark beers.

although the cheaper brown beers/amber beers are usually a bit too sweet for my tastes.

although you don't need to use much beer to get the flavour, in fact better start with less than use too much.

I would be forced to drink the dark beers, so I could never use them on brats.

Richter

Currently on a bottle of Barefoot cabernet.  Solid flavor and mouth presence, but finished very astringent and dry, almost grainy.  (May have just gotten a bottle from the wrong end of the vat, to be fair.)

I used it for deglazing a roasting pan for gravy after I cooked a chunk of beef too.  It came out great, aside from my fuckup of adding a bit too much flour. 

Drinking it with food, it counterpointed the rare beef and gravy nicely.  Drinking it by itself I water it a bit, but that just may be an unexpected Roman tendency.

For the ~$10 a bottle price range, I think I might go for others, unless I specifically need a very strong flavored wine.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat

Richter

Quote from: Charley Brown on September 10, 2010, 03:29:13 PM
Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on September 10, 2010, 05:23:12 AM

I am learning about the different grapes used to make different wines. OZ doesn't have a vineyard, they buy their grapes. For a thrift wine we drink Franzia box wine. Sunset blush.

The price for what you get with those isn't bad at all.  The "Old World Burgundy" is my favorite.  Tastes OK on it's own, and you ca always make sangria or cook with it.
Quote from: Eater of Clowns on May 22, 2015, 03:00:53 AM
Anyone ever think about how Richter inhabits the same reality as you and just scream and scream and scream, but in a good way?   :lulz:

Friendly Neighborhood Mentat