News:

PD.com forums: a disorganized echo-chamber full of concordian, Greyfaced radical left-wing nutjobs who honestly believe they can take down imaginary Nazis by distributing flyers. They are highly-suspicious of all newcomers and hostile to almost everyone, including themselves. The only thing they don't take seriously is Discordianism.

Main Menu

Today's Random Thought

Started by Nast, August 28, 2010, 03:33:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nast

Why do all colleges have to have giant hideous abstract sculptures installed on their campuses?

Every one I've been to has at least one.

And it's always some great big pointy triangular thing in primary colors, or something resembling what I'd imagine a sheet metal factory would like after a heavy bombing.

I don't understand it.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Rumckle

Our college has a giant metal radiator on campus, I don't think it works though.

We also have a small sculpture of the evil duck that died a few years ago.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Don Coyote

It makes them think they are being artistic. Although I think a lot of the weird sculptures at my first college were done by students and members of the local community.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Secret Level on August 28, 2010, 03:35:29 AM
It makes them think they are being artistic. Although I think a lot of the weird sculptures at my first college were done by students and members of the local community.

You heard it from the cow's mouth.

You should see some of the stuff they put outside Mass College of Art. Which is now called the Massachusetts College of Art and Fashion, if I recall.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Don Coyote

Quote from: Doktor Blight on August 28, 2010, 03:59:08 AM
Quote from: Secret Level on August 28, 2010, 03:35:29 AM

You heard it from the cow's mouth.

You should see some of the stuff they put outside Mass College of Art. Which is now called the Massachusetts College of Art and Fashion, if I recall.

Fucking liberal arts crap. :argh!: :argh!:

Just don't look at my college transcripts...

Nast

Quote from: Rumckle on August 28, 2010, 03:35:16 AM
Our college has a giant metal radiator on campus, I don't think it works though.

We also have a small sculpture of the evil duck that died a few years ago.

An evil duck? That needs some 'splainin.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Jasper

My last college had a big horse made out of driftwood.  It was better than most campus sculptures, probably because they didn't source it from the student body.

Rumckle

We used to have a large duck on campus that used to chase people around, peck their legs and steal people's food. So after it died a statue of it was built next to the pond
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Jasper

That reminds me of these geese that an apartment of mine had.  They were hateful and loathsome.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Downtown Davenport, Iowa has sculptures in random places. When I was last there, a giant metal vulva with green stuff coming out of the artistic rendering of the vaginal orifice was sitting right in front of the bus station. Across the street was a sculpture of three young women sitting on a bench with wide eyes and hands over their mouths, or something to that effect.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

On campus, it usually has something to do with giving art students a project that will get them funding.

Which should go a long way  toward explaining why it's always hideous.
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

Our college didn't have hideous abstract art.

It had hideous abstract architecture.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andrew_Melville_Hall

QuoteDesigned in the New Brutalist style by the renowned architect James Stirling, Andrew Melville Hall was built during a major expansion of the University in the 1960s using prefabricated concrete modules. Errors in construction meant that extensive remedial work was required over several decades. Plans for further buildings to the same design were abandoned.

It is of a striking design and is situated prominently at the North Haugh on a ridge overlooking the St Andrews Links. The hall resembles passing ships, a common theme of the architect's style.

It has become an important architectural landmark and has been ranked number 12 in the top 100 Scottish buildings of the last 50 years. Despite this, many students and townsfolk continue to regard it as an eyesore.

I unfortunately lived in the building for 8 months.  And I agree totally with the students and townies - the place is a blot on the map, a travesty compared to the rest of the town, which has an awesome medieval feel to it.

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Cain

According to Wikipedia, a backlash against Brutalism led to many changes at the Oregon University Campus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Oregon_Experiment

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: Cain on August 28, 2010, 11:11:20 AM
According to Wikipedia, a backlash against Brutalism led to many changes at the Oregon University Campus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Oregon_Experiment

Nooo shit

Thanks for the link! Interesting things in my own homestate.