News:

You know what I always say? "Always kill the mouthy one", that's what I always say.

Main Menu

The Slender Man Mythos

Started by Cain, August 28, 2010, 03:39:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faust

Yes, and did Anime style ones which lost any of the carm that hadn't been beaten to death by then.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

President Television

Quote from: Faust on August 30, 2010, 03:18:58 PM
Yes, and did Anime style ones which lost any of the carm that hadn't been beaten to death by then.

Now I'm imagining an Amigara Fault crossover in which the Slender Man originated as the victim of one of those holes.
This both makes Amigara Fault quite a bit scarier and Slender Man quite a bit less scary.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

eighteen buddha strike

The whole power of imagination and power of autosuggestion angle of this, as well as the collective creative subconscious elements of this still creep me the fuck out... but I've had a little bit too much coffee.

Nast

It would be less frightening if he was an obese man in ill fitting clothes.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

Nast

Actually, it would still be pretty frightening, only it wouldn't be the Slender Man Mythos. It would be just another day in Walmart.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

President Television

Quote from: Nast on September 01, 2010, 05:52:05 AM
Actually, it would still be pretty frightening, only it wouldn't be the Slender Man Mythos. It would be just another day in Walmart.

Rascal Mythos?
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Nast

Quote from: Doktor Plague on September 01, 2010, 05:57:55 AM
Quote from: Nast on September 01, 2010, 05:52:05 AM

Rascal Mythos?

They say on cold, quiet nights you can hear the wheezing

-But no one is there-

Eater of Clowns

Enjoying it quite a bit.  MarbleHornets is the best of them.  Just Another Fool is decent as well.  TribeTwelve was okay but silly at points, and EverymanHYBRID is just fun so far.  EverymanHYBRID seemed like it was really going to be awesome with how hammy they were in the beginning, but once they left the lampshade hanging it didn't really have the same effect.

I think it's great, but yeah I can see how it would be done to death by SomethingAwful.

Also, anyone think it's weird that one of the manifestations of the Slender Man in drawings is a spider-like form - and pills are a recurring theme across the series?
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Cain

Went off this for a while but started reading the Zeke Strahm blog today.  While Marble Hornets is hands down the best video story of the Mythos, I think this may be the best blog, for clarity of writing etc...  I know some people say they find Strahm's tone annoying, but then I like Raymond Chandler novels etc so I am actually enjoying it quite a lot.

Also, the best thing is how he is acknowledging the series etc so far while giving out verbal beatdowns to anyone taking it seriously.  So for example:

http://openthedoorandyouwillfindme.blogspot.com/2010/03/what-week.html

QuoteWhat a week. Two missing kids and a stack of drawings and journal entries pointing to some guy in a suit that's a possible pro in his area of expertise. We're doing a run on former rapists in the area, we might actually be coming close, though it's too soon to say.

But now it's "Strahm Rants" time, because I've got to get this out, because so many people bring it up and it's time I address it out right.

This "Slender Man" myth.

Believe it or not, I know the myth. What, you think just because I'm twenty-six and a detective that I never go on the internet? I've been on Youtube, kids. A buddy of mine from high school linked me to Marble Hornets way before all this shit started. I know this guy's gotten popularity, though I think a lot of it is slightly over-exaggerated.

Did the videos creep me out? Abso-fucking-lutely. Couldn't sleep for a week after watching them. Then once I got over it, I showed them to Lizzie just to scare the shit out of her. She had nightmares for a month. I thought it was hilarious. The kids have made one hell of a film project, whatever class it's for, I hope they get an A.

But that's is, guys: it's a goddamn film project. Now, maybe it's not exactly for a class, maybe they were just fucking around with the camera and it somehow got discovered and turned into a hit. I don't know. But while creative, you have to remember that IT'S YOUTUBE. Not saying everything on there is fake, but can we please just move past the bullshit?

You know what, I can even predict the rest of the plot from here. Totheark is Tim, the ark is Alex, Jay and Sarah bone, Brian shows up with the Sword of Elendil and runs it through Slender Man's chest, Alex shoots Tim right through his masked face and they all live happily ever after. The end. Wait for the DVD release. There, the remainder of the series in a nutshell. Sorry to spoil it.

Phox

Quote from: Cain on January 10, 2011, 07:01:58 PM
Went off this for a while but started reading the Zeke Strahm blog today.  While Marble Hornets is hands down the best video story of the Mythos, I think this may be the best blog, for clarity of writing etc...  I know some people say they find Strahm's tone annoying, but then I like Raymond Chandler novels etc so I am actually enjoying it quite a lot.

Also, the best thing is how he is acknowledging the series etc so far while giving out verbal beatdowns to anyone taking it seriously.  So for example:

http://openthedoorandyouwillfindme.blogspot.com/2010/03/what-week.html

QuoteWhat a week. Two missing kids and a stack of drawings and journal entries pointing to some guy in a suit that's a possible pro in his area of expertise. We're doing a run on former rapists in the area, we might actually be coming close, though it's too soon to say.

But now it's "Strahm Rants" time, because I've got to get this out, because so many people bring it up and it's time I address it out right.

This "Slender Man" myth.

Believe it or not, I know the myth. What, you think just because I'm twenty-six and a detective that I never go on the internet? I've been on Youtube, kids. A buddy of mine from high school linked me to Marble Hornets way before all this shit started. I know this guy's gotten popularity, though I think a lot of it is slightly over-exaggerated.

Did the videos creep me out? Abso-fucking-lutely. Couldn't sleep for a week after watching them. Then once I got over it, I showed them to Lizzie just to scare the shit out of her. She had nightmares for a month. I thought it was hilarious. The kids have made one hell of a film project, whatever class it's for, I hope they get an A.

But that's is, guys: it's a goddamn film project. Now, maybe it's not exactly for a class, maybe they were just fucking around with the camera and it somehow got discovered and turned into a hit. I don't know. But while creative, you have to remember that IT'S YOUTUBE. Not saying everything on there is fake, but can we please just move past the bullshit?

You know what, I can even predict the rest of the plot from here. Totheark is Tim, the ark is Alex, Jay and Sarah bone, Brian shows up with the Sword of Elendil and runs it through Slender Man's chest, Alex shoots Tim right through his masked face and they all live happily ever after. The end. Wait for the DVD release. There, the remainder of the series in a nutshell. Sorry to spoil it.

I liked that one, for a different reason than I liked Marble Hornets and some of the other blogs. It reads more like a novel. At first it put me off, but by the time I got to the end, I was on the edge of my seat.

Cain

I was thinking the same thing.  I've only gotten to where Sam has somehow vanished from the holding cell, but as I was reading the comments my thought was "this reads like someone who writes for a living is the author".  In fact, it compares favourably with some published works, both in the crime and horror genre, that I've read recently.

Phox

Quote from: Cain on January 10, 2011, 07:26:52 PM
I was thinking the same thing.  I've only gotten to where Sam has somehow vanished from the holding cell, but as I was reading the comments my thought was "this reads like someone who writes for a living is the author".  In fact, it compares favourably with some published works, both in the crime and horror genre, that I've read recently.

Yeah, it's definitely one of my favorites. And it is surprisingly well written, if deceptively simplistic.

Eater of Clowns

I also enjoyed the Zeke blog.  It took a little while to get into; I had some difficulties with suspension of disbelief.  It seemed like it was written by someone who's read a lot of crime novels, but that went away as the tone was developed.

EverymanHybrid is still going and has developed into a far more alternate-reality game theme than a Slenderman vlog.  There are a lot of clues left in the videos that lead to other online tie-ins.  Those tie-ins are then mentioned in later entries, but not really explained.  It's losing something for me.  I'm not that interested in hunting around the web for little bits of information.

MarbleHornets is back up with a 2nd season as of a few weeks ago.  This one looks like it's set up a lot more as a mystery than a horror series.  Still quite good, with a lot less of the visual tearing and sound distortion gimmicks that they started and were then copied across the Internet.  Amusingly, they seem to have embraced the common TV-show tactic of adding a pretty cast member, as a recurring character is a rather cute girl he keeps running into.
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Cain

Thanks for that, I hadn't realised Marble Hornets had restarted.

Cainad (dec.)

I just started getting into this mythos as of last weekend.

I do not scare easily, but Marble Hornets has successfully had me turning on lights and checking around corners for about four days now.