News:

There's only a handful of you, and you're acting like obsessed lunatics.

I honestly wouldn't want to ever be washed up on the shore unconscious on an island run by you lot.

Main Menu

Allow me to introduce myself...

Started by Cramulus, August 30, 2010, 03:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Da6s

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 09, 2010, 02:34:02 AM

Needs pic without your hand on your face, for WOMPing.

Edit: It's old but it's one of the more recent sober face pics i have. I avoid camera's like an amish man.
We appear to be doomed by our DNA to repeat the same destructive behaviors our forebears have repeated for millenia. If anything our problem solving skills have actually diminished with the advent of technology & our ubiquitous modern conveniences. & yet despite our predisposition towards fear-driven hostility; towards what we anachronistically term primitive behavior another instinct is just as firmly encoded in our make-up. We are capable as our ancestors were of incredible breathtaking acts of kindness. Every hour of every day a man risks his life at a moments notice to save another. Forget for a moment the belligerent benevolent billionaires who grant the unfortunate a crumb of costfree cake. I speak of pure acts of selflessness. A Mother who rushes into the street to save a child from a speeding vehicle. A person who runs into a burning building to reach a family trapped on the upper story. Such actions,such moments,such unconscious selfless decisions,define what it is to be human

Choptop

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live." - Charles Bukowski
"I've seen so many good people in my life that I've almost lost my faith in the wickedness of humankind." - Will Durant
"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents." - H. P. Lovecraft

emerod

* Demographic info: 45. Naturalized Hoosier. Christian anarchist.
   * Professional Info: Editor. NO I will NOT edit your work of fiction or your PhD dissertation.
   * What you like to do in your free time: Pretend to play bass guitar; read philosophy that I don't understand; watch cats torment small animals.
   * What kind of topics / projects are you interested in? Conspiracy theories; apocalyptic rhetoric; theoretical physics; culture jamming; graphic design. I would like to start a profit-making enterprise that combines all of these things.
   * How did you find Eris and what did you to her once you found her? RAW and Adam Parfrey. I killed her.

AKA: Subcommander Guido.
Smiting the philistines since 1996.

Sir Squid Diddimus

emerod

Quote from: Sir Squid Diddimus on November 10, 2010, 05:16:16 AM
i work with a guy with your name  :sad:

What a coincidence! I work with a Squid! Which office are you in?
Smiting the philistines since 1996.

Cramulus

Quote from: emerod on November 10, 2010, 05:02:18 AM
   * Professional Info: Editor. NO I will NOT edit your work of fiction or your PhD dissertation.
   * What you like to do in your free time: Pretend to play bass guitar; read philosophy that I don't understand; watch cats torment small animals.
   * What kind of topics / projects are you interested in? Conspiracy theories; apocalyptic rhetoric; theoretical physics; culture jamming; graphic design. I would like to start a profit-making enterprise that combines all of these things.
   * How did you find Eris and what did you to her once you found her? RAW and Adam Parfrey. I killed her.

Hey Emerod. What kind of editing do you do? Me, I do editorial stuff for a textbook publisher.

What kind of culture jamming are you into? Me, I'm a big fan of posters and subtle intrusions into pedestrian reality.

Do you think for-profit and culture-jamming are at odds?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: emerod on November 10, 2010, 05:02:18 AM

Heh.  I edited for pay back in the 90s.  Romance novels.  Don't ask.

Also, what precisely is a Christian Anarchist (Note to everyone else:  No, I'm not going to start the anarchy argument up again, I'm just curious.  So fuck off, you pack of Goddamn hyenas.)
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Whatever

emerod looks a lot like Ned Flanders.

Just sayin!   :D

LMNO

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 10, 2010, 03:43:31 PM
Also, what precisely is a Christian Anarchist (Note to everyone else:  No, I'm not going to start the anarchy argument up again, I'm just curious.  So fuck off, you pack of Goddamn hyenas.)

You've got a good point.  Luke 20:25 doesn't say, "Tell Ceaser to shove it up his ass."

Cain

I'm going to intervene temporarily and say "Tolstoy".  This may or may not have a bearing on the current discussion.

Also I don't know about Luke 20:25 but there has been substanstial discussion on Romans 13 by Christian Anarchists.

LMNO

Ah.  I forgot about that.

One could make the argument that Romans 13 isn't anarchic so much as it is submitting to an even more powerful Authority.

Cain

I found a defense against Luke 20:25, actually

Quote from: Jacques Ellul"Render unto Caesar..." in no way divides the exercise of authority into two realms....They were said in response to another matter: the payment of taxes, and the coin. The mark on the coin is that of Caesar; it is the mark of his property. Therefore give Caesar this money; it is his. It is not a question of legitimizing taxes! It means that Caesar, having created money, is its master. That's all. Let us not forget that money, for Jesus, is the domain of Mammon, a satanic domain!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on November 10, 2010, 03:54:32 PM
Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on November 10, 2010, 03:43:31 PM

You've got a good point.  Luke 20:25 doesn't say, "Tell Ceaser to shove it up his ass."

Simon and Peter were pretty rowdy, though.  They didn't call Simon "The Zealot" for nothing, and Peter would totally pull a GITM and slice your ear off.  D/N/T.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Subetai on November 10, 2010, 04:08:51 PM
I found a defense against Luke 20:25, actually

Quote from: Jacques Ellul"Render unto Caesar..." in no way divides the exercise of authority into two realms....They were said in response to another matter: the payment of taxes, and the coin. The mark on the coin is that of Caesar; it is the mark of his property. Therefore give Caesar this money; it is his. It is not a question of legitimizing taxes! It means that Caesar, having created money, is its master. That's all. Let us not forget that money, for Jesus, is the domain of Mammon, a satanic domain!

Ellul was full of shit.  Jesus was pointing out that, for his purposes, taxes were of no concern...And that they were due Ceasar.  I've heard this argument before, mostly from Calvinists.

Cain

It seems to me very much a case of Law of Fivesing/Confirmation Bias to me as well, but so does 95% of attempted interaction between religion and political philosophy.