News:

PD.com: Taoism in a clown costume.

Main Menu

Allow me to introduce myself...

Started by Cramulus, August 30, 2010, 03:47:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Nigel on December 16, 2010, 08:33:13 AM
My dad's from Ohio. I once hosted a family reunion and a bunch of Ohioans came...  :x Holy fuck, now I know why he got the hell out of there as soon as he could enlist. Only time in my life I've ever seen a father-daughter brawl.

Does having your daughter run in the room while you're taking a nap, and slapping the bejesus out of you, then hauling ass count?

" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Nephew Twiddleton

I thought Columbus was an ok place.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

flipdog

me new. here's what.

i call meself flipdog. my mates call me Jay. i laughingly think of myself as creative. i think everybody else is potentially, but cos many don't do anything about it, i get to use the label still. not for any profit though.

i think of grammar as a convenience, as i do words and conventions. this makes working in a library with its many nitpickers quite entertaining. it's the least crap job i've had.

i have two kiddies. i realise they're not miracles, but i adore them anyway.

i discovered eris via the trilogy known as Illuminatus, which i considered ana bsolute riot when i was reading, and was sorry to finish it, but it meant i could at least move on to another book downstairs.

the books i'm reading are: downstairs- sex, drugs and magick by Rob Ant Wil; upstairs - pentagon of power by lewis mummy; at work - the critical path by bucky fuller.

i like many music, much of the time.
Professor of Comparative Bollockology

LMNO

Quote from: flipdog on December 21, 2010, 10:19:56 AM
i think of grammar as a convenience, as i do words and conventions.

Welcome.  We may end up not liking each other.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: LMNO, PhD on December 21, 2010, 12:54:41 PM

Concur.  The jury's still out, but mangling the Queen's English out of laziness isn't a good sign.

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."

BadBeast

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 21, 2010, 02:14:05 PM

Concur.  The jury's still out, but mangling the Queen's English out of laziness isn't a good sign.
Seconded. (Although the Queen is technically, and genetically more German than English)
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,
NOT JUST A "FAIR WEATHER FIGHTER"!

"I kinda like him. It's like he sees inside my soul" ~ Nigel

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpkCJDYxH-4

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: BadBeast on December 21, 2010, 04:28:29 PM

Seconded. (Although the Queen is technically, and genetically more German than English)

So is about a third of the English language, at least at its roots.

And Germans would never put up with her hooliganism, so she's English.

BadBeast

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 21, 2010, 05:33:22 PM

I agree completely Rog, and her Hooliganism is the main thing that endears her to us. I mean, she married a Greek Gangster ffs!  But then we've never been all that stipulative about our Monarchs. So long as they don't attempt to get "Political" that is. (That's ((partly)) why "The  Idiot" will never be King) William will be OK though, because his Mother
had proper Royal Blood. (That's why it got splattered all over an ancient Temple of Diana) So it goes. 
"We need a plane for Bombing, Strafing, Assault and Battery, Interception, Ground Support, and Reconaissance,

Whoever puts their hand on me to govern me, is a usurper, and a tyrant, and I declare them my enemy!

"And when the clouds obscure the moon, and normal service is resumed. It wont. Mean. A. Thing"

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: BadBeast on December 21, 2010, 06:07:28 PM

I agree completely Rog, and her Hooliganism is the main thing that endears her to us. I mean, she married a Greek Gangster ffs!  But then we've never been all that stipulative about our Monarchs. So long as they don't attempt to get "Political" that is. (That's ((partly)) why "The  Idiot" will never be King) William will be OK though, because his Mother
had proper Royal Blood. (That's why it got splattered all over an ancient Temple of Diana) So it goes. 

Fuck that, put Harry on the throne.  He has that old English king mentality, and he'll have you lot sorted out soon enough.

BadBeast

Yep, that sounds good too. Harry has the  right mix of Royal (Diana) blood, and commoner (James Hewitt) blood. What's more, he seems to have a spine as well. (Rare in that family) And a sense of humour too. (Even rarer) And a proper King's name. We are never going to  accept another King Charles.
Williams are a bit . . . meh. But King Henry IX? Sounds good to me!

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: BadBeast on December 21, 2010, 06:34:22 PM
Yep, that sounds good too. Harry has the  right mix of Royal (Diana) blood, and commoner (James Hewitt) blood. What's more, he seems to have a spine as well. (Rare in that family) And a sense of humour too. (Even rarer) And a proper King's name. We are never going to  accept another King Charles.

Put me in for "10" in the executed wives pool.

BadBeast

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on December 21, 2010, 06:37:01 PM
Quote from: BadBeast on December 21, 2010, 06:34:22 PM

Put me in for "10" in the executed wives pool.
Consider it done.

flipdog

i mangle the english language because it's fun, not because i'm lazy, and because it takes itself waaaay too seriously.

and also because i don't care much for the phrase 'the queens english.' it's my english, that i've adapted from those around me. the fact that the queen uses something broadly similar is just one of those things that i have no control over.

Professor of Comparative Bollockology

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: flipdog on December 21, 2010, 10:02:06 PM
i mangle the english language because it's fun,

Okay.

I'll make sure to use the scroll wheel on my mouse to deal with your posts in the future.

Phox

Quote from: flipdog on December 21, 2010, 10:02:06 PM

i mangle the english language because it's fun, not because i'm lazy, and because it takes itself waaaay too seriously.

and also because i don't care much for the phrase 'the queens english.' it's my english, that i've adapted from those around me. the fact that the queen uses something broadly similar is just one of those things that i have no control over.

While I will be the first person to tell you that English is the retarded cousin of German, and that it's grammar is stupid and fucked because of certain jackasses who wanted to Latinize it, your mangling of a language shall* piss me off, and I will* be forced to kill a motherfucker.

*= Note the use of the correct emphatic forms.