News:

PD.com: We'll make you an offer you can't understand.

Main Menu

Liberaltarianism

Started by Cain, August 31, 2010, 05:06:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 07, 2010, 06:15:47 PM
Quote from: Mistress Freeky, HRN on October 07, 2010, 06:12:56 PM
Quote from: Doktor Howl on October 07, 2010, 06:06:47 PM
Quote from: The Dancing Pickle on October 07, 2010, 06:04:20 PM
I have to say, we've been pretty good at shooting down anything that fucks with the 1st.

this thing with the Westboro Baptist Church could conceivably set a dangerous precedent.  I'm eagerly awaiting the Supreme Court's ruling on that bunch.

We have?

Faith based funding
The Media Shield Act (thanks, Obama!)
Free speech zones

Dok,
Knows that the first amendment deals with more than speech.

Free speech zone?

Also known as "First Amendment Zones".  The areas in which protestors are allowed to gather at political conventions, WTO meetings, etc.  Usually a fenced-in area at least a half mile from the event they're there to protest.  Previously, the whole country was a first amendment zone.

Bush invented the concept, but in the last two democratic conventions, they installed large CAGES for non-delegates to stand in while observing the convention, so it isn't a one-party thing.

And, being who they are, Americans just got used to it and moved on down the road toward the sheep pen.

The 1999 WTO meeting in Seattle they had the "no free speech zone" covering all of Downtown.  I got teargassed and pepper sprayed and nearly arrested for free speeching there.   It was fun.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

E.O.T.

I have to say, we've been pretty good at shooting down anything that fucks with the 1st.

this thing with the Westboro Baptist Church could conceivably set a dangerous precedent.  I'm eagerly awaiting the Supreme Court's ruling on that bunch.

We have?

Faith based funding
Free speech zones

Dok,

Free speech zone?

Also known as "First Amendment Zones".  The areas in which protestors are allowed to gather at political conventions, WTO meetings, etc.  Usually a fenced-in area at least a half mile from the event they're there to protest.  Previously, the whole country was a first amendment zone.

Bush invented the concept, but in the last two democratic conventions, they installed large CAGES for non-delegates to stand in while observing the convention, so it isn't a one-party thing.

And, being who they are, Americans just got used to it and moved on down the road toward the sheep pen.

HA! AWESOME

amendment to current politics. after portland's downtown was literally shut down by protesters during bush jr.'s first visit, when that punk came back here again (still owing the state of oregon over $250,000 from security arrangements from the last time) it was way outside of city center, huge plate prices to attend & the "free speech zone" was something like 1.5 miles from where he actually spoke.

ALTHOUGH,

it was unnecessary really, as far as the media was concerned, because THE FIRST TIME, when you couldn't walk through downtown without being cow herded by the police, the GOP had local cops clear an entire street (whacking and teargassing old ladies and children) so that they could shoot camera footage of a select dozen people and declare that those few, were the radical opposition to his appearance.

I READ

an interesting/ surprising comment on FB this morning where someone noted that; people watched what they said during W jr., but think it's o.k. to speak their minds now because they assume obama is doing the 'right thing'. full of interpretive lol.
"a good fight justifies any cause"

East Coast Hustle

Quote from: BabylonHoruv on October 09, 2010, 08:00:25 PM

We have?

Faith based funding
Free speech zones

Dok,

Free speech zone?

The 1999 WTO meeting in Seattle they had the "no free speech zone" covering all of Downtown.  I got teargassed and pepper sprayed and nearly arrested for free speeching there.   It was fun.

I am utterly unsurprised to find out that you were one of THOSE fuckwits.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

E.O.T.

Quote from: First City Hustle on October 11, 2010, 06:41:00 AM
Quote from: BabylonHoruv on October 09, 2010, 08:00:25 PM

We have?

Faith based funding
Free speech zones

Dok,

Free speech zone?

I am utterly unsurprised to find out that you were one of THOSE fuckwits.

E.O.T.

"LIKES" ech's comment
"a good fight justifies any cause"

East Coast Hustle

I was living in Belltown when that shit happened. In all fairness, 95% of the people who were there to protest were doing it right. The other 5% were mostly van-driving, black bloc-claiming, nasty dred-sporting, trustafarian fucking ANARCHIST assclowns who had to ruin it for everyone. Especially those of us who lived in the neighborhood.

This actually explains the roots of my extreme antipathy towards anarchists, though it by no means explains the continued existence of that antipathy. That is confirmed and reinforced every goddamn time I have the misfortune of interacting with one of those runny sores on the taint of humanity.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

BabylonHoruv

Quote from: First City Hustle on October 11, 2010, 06:55:02 AM
I was living in Belltown when that shit happened. In all fairness, 95% of the people who were there to protest were doing it right. The other 5% were mostly van-driving, black bloc-claiming, nasty dred-sporting, trustafarian fucking ANARCHIST assclowns who had to ruin it for everyone. Especially those of us who lived in the neighborhood.

This actually explains the roots of my extreme antipathy towards anarchists, though it by no means explains the continued existence of that antipathy. That is confirmed and reinforced every goddamn time I have the misfortune of interacting with one of those runny sores on the taint of humanity.

I wasn't doing that.  I admittedly did help instigate an illegal march from a USWA rally down on the docks (that was when I invaded the "no free speech zone"), but I spent most of my time helping out in Capital Hill treating people for teargas, and feeding people and whatnot.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl