News:

PD.COM:  Mindlessly hitting the refresh button for weeks on end.

Main Menu

Mindsculpting: Eris loves you.

Started by shadowfurry23, November 27, 2008, 09:32:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Eris?

Definitely the Know-Nothing Party  :lulz:
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

hooplala

She told me she was a member of the All Night Party.
"Soon all of us will have special names" — Professor Brian O'Blivion

"Now's not the time to get silly, so wear your big boots and jump on the garbage clowns." — Bob Dylan?

"Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)"
— Walt Whitman

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: BAWHEED on November 28, 2008, 10:19:44 PM
She told me she was a member of the All Night Party.

Also the Electric Kool Aid Party.

But I hear they were all secretly Communists.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

shadowfurry23

Quote from: Nigel on November 28, 2008, 08:27:42 PM
Quote from: GA on November 28, 2008, 08:17:30 PM
Shadow, if you say LOL again I'm going to reach right through my ISP and apply large blunt instruments to your nasal cavity.  It's the internet equivalent to giggling in the middle of every sentence, and it makes you sound like a sixth grade girl.

YES! It also reads as pure contempt, in the context of a disagreement.

Noted for future reference.  Interestingly among people I chat/email with, it is usually taken as more of an "It's all cool" kinda indicator.

I gots to make dinner & such but I'll try to return later to address some of the new points.  Briefly though @GA: thanks for the extended response, it was appreciated.  @Cain: I'm still very curious to hear what you thought I was saying that was untrue, and why the structure I laid out is incompatible with higher purposes.

Thank you all for commenting though.  Very illuminating.
This play, however, is an affirmation of life—not an attempt to bring order out of chaos nor to suggest improvements in creation, but simply a way of waking up to the very life we're living, which is so excellent once one gets one's mind and one's desires out of its way and lets it act of its own accord. - John Cage

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

Mesozoic Mister Nigel

Quote from: shadowfurry23 on November 28, 2008, 11:18:05 PM
Shadow, if you say LOL again I'm going to reach right through my ISP and apply large blunt instruments to your nasal cavity.  It's the internet equivalent to giggling in the middle of every sentence, and it makes you sound like a sixth grade girl.

Noted for future reference.  Interestingly among people I chat/email with, it is usually taken as more of an "It's all cool" kinda indicator.

... do you do it in the middle of insulting their views? Because that's the "context" part of the equation...
"I'm guessing it was January 2007, a meeting in Bethesda, we got a bag of bees and just started smashing them on the desk," Charles Wick said. "It was very complicated."

shadowfurry23

Quote from: Nigel on November 28, 2008, 11:22:42 PM
Quote from: shadowfurry23 on November 28, 2008, 11:18:05 PM
... do you do it in the middle of insulting their views? Because that's the "context" part of the equation...

Well, yes, especially so.  It is meant to indicate the question asked in a playful manner, not as an insult at all. 

Reading back now, I see that I myself derailed the thread rather early by implying that there was some sort of problem with viewing Eris as strife personified.  Had I been more careful about it I could have done more to suggest that Eris-as-strife is perfectly fine, but a loving Eris as creation/creativity personified is perfectly compatible with that as well.  Instead I seem to have left the impression that the latter was the only, or at least the inherently superior, view.

This seems to have resulted largely from attacking cynicism as a worldview, though perhaps those I prodded were more offended that I framed them exclusively as cynics rather than anything else.  This I think was Cain's primary complaint, though my response to him (and the passion of it) derived largely from his contention that I was "burying my head in the sand", which really doesn't follow from my initial statements.  The fact that he concluded it suggests that I need to clarify my statements in such a way as to avoid that conclusion.  I am still keen to talk with him more about it so I can determine how that happened, though I have found that it is a common assumption made when someone talks about looking at things in a positive or optimistic manner, as I somewhat vehemently expressed.

I still think it's a pity to view Eris *only* as strife, but I'm not going to say you're wrong to do so.  I am still quite interested in the more positive, growth promoting on-your-side version of Eris and I feel a significant amount of the strength (and longevity) of the PD comes from that source.  Again, my mistake (ok, one of my mistakes) was to imply that the two were incompatible.

In any case I'm not unhappy with the conversation that it spawned, in particular those stories of how Eris is viewed in all your lives (I especially enjoyed your story Nigel).

Discordianism is a swiss-army knife, a tool that can be used for a wide variety of purposes, though I would argue that Think For Yourself remains the primary one.  I guess I was curious why few people choose to use the corkscrew.
This play, however, is an affirmation of life—not an attempt to bring order out of chaos nor to suggest improvements in creation, but simply a way of waking up to the very life we're living, which is so excellent once one gets one's mind and one's desires out of its way and lets it act of its own accord. - John Cage

Honey

Very compelling thoughts expressed here. 

The other day I was at my son's school.  One of his classes has been working on a project where they take photos of molecules under an electron microscope & then (using a certain software, forget which) they make these photos 3 dimensional.  They also color.  It was fascinating.  There's a whole website dedicated to displaying these 3D color representations of molecules. 

It made me think.

When I studied these things in school, we observed molecules under microscope & saw them in 3 dimensions.  We were also taught in lectures & by reading in textbooks that these things have a 3 dimensional 'presence.' 

How much more effective tho? when you can observe & manipulate the 3 dimensions?  To me, this represents a leap in learning with many applications.  Being able to 'see' & to manipulate something in 3D & not just being told it exists in 3D.

'Seeing' Principia Discordia as being 1 way or another is as if you were seeing in 2D.  The map for the territory?  A book or a piece of art or music is not the thing it represents.  The mind or spirit or spark or whatever other word is necessary to bring the 'thing' into existence, to make it 3 (or maybe even 4 or 5) dimensional.  Everything that 'is' exists in time as well as space.

Depending upon what it is you wish to do, it may be useful to think of it as being 1 way or the other.

Anyway, I think of all of these things as having more than 1 dimension.  Positing a literal 1 way or another way, to me, would only succeed in defining it out of any possible existence.  Which, to me, is not the point of trying to understand something.

Being playful with these ideas?  Little kids seem to have this concept down pat.  Being literal when it serves & being playful when it serves.  Eris as Goddess seems to embody this idea as well.  Symbol?  Metaphor?  Allegorical device?  Or maybe la Deus ex machine?

(bitw, 1 of the many reasons I appreciate coming here is because people express themselves so well.  Their words show they have considered these ideas quite deeply & are adept in expressing them.  Sometimes I feel I get too caught up in my own inner world & it helps to hear other perspectives.)  Thanks & Respect.
Fuck the status quo!

The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure & the intelligent are full of doubt.
-Bertrand Russell

Kai

Quote from: Ratatosk on November 28, 2008, 06:34:05 PM
QuoteAnd with regards to this whole Eris thing... if you want a mother figure just make up a mother figure.  Don't repurpose the goddess whose only notable role was starting a decades long war because she didn't get invited to a party.  People died, Shadow.  Women and children were raped and murdered and dragged from behind chariots and had their fields salted because she didn't get invited to a party.  Don't go redefining our words and names to fit something you like.

Are you sure?

A decades long war began because the Goddess Aphrodite was so vain that She was willing to cause war in order to have a mere mortal declare her to be the fairest.

Women and Children were raped and murdered because Hera, Athena and Aphrodite were SO vacuous and self-centered that they were unwilling to allow one of the others to be given an honor without a fight. The Trojan war persisted, because Paris took the wife of another man, a woman who had no love for him, except a false mask of love, as cast by a bitch of a Goddess.

Eris, our beloved hag, our hurricane with a nice cinnamon scented wind, our personification of Chaos NEVER causes the horrors of war, she never causes the terrible things that happen... she causes Chaos, Discord and Confusion. Others use that Chaos, Discord and Confusion to benefit themselves, sometimes leading to terrible consequences.

Who is the fairest one at a Wedding?
Who is the most beautiful one at a Wedding?
Who is the Prettiest One at a Wedding?

Who was the apple for?

Eris might have a great time watching the horrors that man inflicts upon himself, but to blame her as the cause... may be only true in some sense. After all... if they didn't like doing it, you'd think they would stop.

Eris fought in the war as Enyo, along side her brother Ares, IIRC.

Just sayin.
If there is magic on this planet, it is contained in water. --Loren Eisley, The Immense Journey

Her Royal Majesty's Chief of Insect Genitalia Dissection
Grand Visser of the Six Legged Class
Chanticleer of the Holometabola Clade Church, Diptera Parish

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

shadowfurry23