News:

PD.com: Trimming your hair in accordance with the anarchoprimitivist lifestyle

Main Menu

In the interest of motivation...

Started by Requia ☣, September 01, 2010, 02:54:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Requia ☣

The life hacks pic Cram posted had a tip that you should tell your friends about a project, in order to motivate yourself to not look like an ass by not following through.  Well I've been dragging my heels on a project so lets see if this works:

I'm working on a High fantasy P&P RPG.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Requia ☣

Not nearly far enough. 

I have most of the combat system (just need to pick a wounding mechanic), and layouts for the classes, magic system, and setting (which I'm pulling from a Civ IV modders community).

Don Coyote

Oh do go on. This has my interest.

How 'realistic' are you going to make the combat system?

Requia ☣

Realism hasn't really been my concern, I've been more focused on giving the different fantasy niches (rogue warrior mage) something to do in combat, and rules that encourage teamwork.

It'll probably end up slightly more realistic than D&D.

Don Coyote

Quote from: Requia ☣ on September 01, 2010, 04:43:28 AM
Realism hasn't really been my concern, I've been more focused on giving the different fantasy niches (rogue warrior mage) something to do in combat, and rules that encourage teamwork.

It'll probably end up slightly more realistic than D&D.

I already like where you are going. I found that too much realism makes the game significantly slower and less fun.

Triple Zero

If I may please just momentarily jack this thread for my own motivation purposes: EVERYBODY IM GONNA WORK ON MY GODDAMN FUCKING WEBDESIGN JOB TODAY AND NOT UNTIL I SPENT AT LEAST TWO HOURS OF SOLID WORK ON IT I MAY RETURN TO THIS FORUM

Feel free to fucking Pledge, or damnit, just drop a Gender32 on my account if I don't.

Ok Requia, I'm done. Please carry on with your thread. Thanks for the idea though.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cramulus

what's the difference between your project and other PnP RPGs?

Don Coyote

We are being taunted...must know moar nao.

Kurt Christ

Once again jacking in the interest of motivation (my IRL friends know about his since they helped me playtest it some, but having you spags know about it may help motivate me to get the rules into a presentable format): I started working on a pen and paper dungeon crawl using playing cards as the conflict resolution mechanic. It's meant for five players- one Dungeon Master, one cleric, one rogue, one fighter, and one wizard- and the DM uses the cards he's dealt to spawn obstacles for the players to attempt to surmount. It's supposed to be a game that's easy to play spontaneously- when I designed it, I was playing poker with my friends a lot, so we always had playing cards when we were hanging out, and I wanted to make something for a little change of pace. There's no character creation or advancement- it's purely an attempt for an adventuring party to survive the best attempts of a dungeon master to kill them. I've got some rules written out, but I'm still at the stage where I feel something needs revision every time I playtest it.
Formerly known as the Space Pope (then I was excommunicated), Father Kurt Christ (I was deemed unfit to raise children, spiritual or otherwise), and Vartox (the speedo was starting to chafe)

Cramulus

that sounds cool, you should post the rules!