News:

You're miserable, edgy and tired. You're in the perfect mood for PD.com.

Main Menu

Your smartphone suddenly gets wikipedia from 50 years in the future for 1hr

Started by Triple Zero, September 01, 2010, 10:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suu

Quote from: Triple Zero on September 01, 2010, 10:06:40 AM
Your smartphone suddenly gets wikpedia from 50 years in the future but only for 1 hour.

What do you look up?

(question from Reddit)

Roll D20 for initiative.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

Doktor Howl

Quote from: Triple Zero on September 01, 2010, 10:06:40 AM
Your smartphone suddenly gets wikpedia from 50 years in the future but only for 1 hour.

What do you look up?

(question from Reddit)

Let's see...Myself.  And football.
Molon Lube

Fredfredly ⊂(◉‿◉)つ

Golden Applesauce

I'd look up the major scientific & engineering breakthroughs of the last 50 years, and pass them on to the right people.  That, and major natural disasters / disease outbreaks.

Also, how to crack RSA.
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Prince Glittersnatch III

Id look up the plot synopsises of the all the "Best Picture" Oscar winning films for the next 50 years.
Then Id go to work making them.
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?=743264506 <---worst human being to ever live.

http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/False%20Religions/Other%20Pagan%20Mumbo-Jumbo/discordianism.htm <----Learn the truth behind Discordianism

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 04, 2010, 04:08:37 AM
Glittersnatch would be a rather unfortunate condition, if a halfway decent troll name.

Quote from: GIGGLES on June 16, 2011, 10:24:05 PM
AORTAL SEX MADES MY DICK HARD AS FUCK!

President Television

I'd look up "predestination paradox" and see if the idea still holds any water 50 years from now.
If not, I'd then look up future technologies and "invent" them.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Lord Derp Esquire on September 02, 2010, 04:54:56 AM
Id look up the plot synopsises of the all the "Best Picture" Oscar winning films for the next 50 years.
Then Id go to work making them.

I had a similar time travel idea with songs I hate. Copyright them, wait for the other person to release it, and then sue them into poverty.

It's so wrong... but so right...
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Remington

I would tether it to my laptop, arrange for a faster internet connection (20-30 Mpbs minimum), and click this:

http://download.wikimedia.org/enwiki/latest/enwiki-latest-pages-articles.xml.bz2

Yes, I cheat.
Is it plugged in?

Nephew Twiddleton

Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Remington

We actually get the cheating part from small bits of AmericanTM DNA that have managed to sneak into our gene pool over the last two centuries.

Having both American and French heritage means that we cheat, then run away.
Is it plugged in?

DeusExMachina

Look up any pandemics and the vaccine/cure used. Get a sports Almanac. Check the newest innovations in science/technology and medicine. Check major natural disasters wiki myself then sit back and try to avoid the butterfly effect
'Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist.'
-George Carlin

'Condemnation without investigation is the height of ignorance.'

- Albert Einstein

Rumckle

It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Doktor Blight on September 01, 2010, 02:37:09 PM
Cain's got the right idea. I'd look up the winners of the next 50 winners of the World Series.
In 2004 the Boston Red Sox were facing elimination for the American League Championship (meaning that the winner would go on to play the World Series) against the hated New York Yankees, only after 3 of 7 games. The odds against the Red Sox winning the World Series was 250 to 1. THe Red Sox rallied, won the next 4 games against the Yankees, and then beat the St. Louis Cardinals in 4 straight games, winning the World Series for the first time since 1918. If I had put $100 on the Sox after game 3 of the ALCS, I would have walked away with $25,000.

Throw on top of this the results of major elections and such. Yeah.

This is apparently the page you'd want to get http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upset

And yes, I'd start downloading too. But not the whole archive because you can't get that in an hour. And in the 2060 Wikipedia it'll probably be exponentially larger.

If I had a commandline on my smartphone I'd start a few wget commands to download all pages 2-3 levels deep from a choice selection of "List" pages.

Also the 21st century page would be a good one.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Dysfunctional Cunt