News:

News:  0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 233 377 610 987 1597 2584 4181 6765 10946 17711 28657, motherfuckers.

Main Menu

Your smartphone suddenly gets wikipedia from 50 years in the future for 1hr

Started by Triple Zero, September 01, 2010, 10:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Triple Zero

Your smartphone suddenly gets wikpedia from 50 years in the future but only for 1 hour.

What do you look up?

(question from Reddit)

Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Cain

National and European lottery numbers for every week for the next year.  And uh, the Wikipedia News section.  All of it. Including the archives going back 50 years.

Lottery money is used as startup for a private intelligence firm, using the data from Wiki News to build credibility.

And this private intelligence firm will be called HIMEOBS Inc.

Triple Zero

I can't find any listings on winning lottery numbers on Wikipedia itself, just (perhaps) some in the external links.

But uh, let's say they are there in the future-wikipedia (could be, after all), I wonder if you'd win every week, people would get wind of it and they'd get, or perhaps even just frame you for fraud?

Also check out the top voted answer in the Reddit thread. Pretty good answer.
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Adios

Cain

Quote from: Triple Zero on September 01, 2010, 10:28:12 AM
I can't find any listings on winning lottery numbers on Wikipedia itself, just (perhaps) some in the external links.

But uh, let's say they are there in the future-wikipedia (could be, after all), I wonder if you'd win every week, people would get wind of it and they'd get, or perhaps even just frame you for fraud?

Also check out the top voted answer in the Reddit thread. Pretty good answer.

Correct about the lottery numbers.  OK, I'll download Oscars and various very well known horse race winners and put down large bets on those instead.

As for fraud, I believe they need to have proof of it, and "getting answers from the future on your smartphone" is not actually illegal.  But if it does become such a bother, I'll get other people to claim it, in return for a cut (after I'm rich enough to hire people who will make sure I get my money, if they try a double-cross of some kind).

Triple Zero

Clever move on the bets. Would also allow you to spread bets along different categories a bit, so you don't get noticed as easily.

Rumckle

I'd check if dub-step is still considered a music genre.

OR

I'd check to see if I became famous enough to be on Wikipedia, because I'm sure if I could learn things of future wikipedia, then I'd gain at least a little bit of notoriety from using that knowledge.
It's not trolling, it's just satire.

Nephew Twiddleton

Cain's got the right idea. I'd look up the winners of the next 50 winners of the World Series.
In 2004 the Boston Red Sox were facing elimination for the American League Championship (meaning that the winner would go on to play the World Series) against the hated New York Yankees, only after 3 of 7 games. The odds against the Red Sox winning the World Series was 250 to 1. THe Red Sox rallied, won the next 4 games against the Yankees, and then beat the St. Louis Cardinals in 4 straight games, winning the World Series for the first time since 1918. If I had put $100 on the Sox after game 3 of the ALCS, I would have walked away with $25,000.

Throw on top of this the results of major elections and such. Yeah.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Adios

Cramulus

Stelpa

* nekk looks up "Chuck Norris". WHERE THE FUCK IS THE DATE OF DEATH!?  :evilmad:

Rumckle

Oh, I'd also get a list of major natural disasters, terrorist attacks, and all that, just to make sure I'm not in the area at the time.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Rumckle on September 01, 2010, 03:01:24 PM
Oh, I'd also get a list of major natural disasters, terrorist attacks, and all that, just to make sure I'm not in the area at the time.

That's a good one
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Rumckle

LMNO