News:

Discordianism:  It is some kind of a communist sect.

Main Menu

Noncommercial Branding

Started by Cramulus, September 01, 2010, 04:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AFK

Quote from: Cramulus on January 30, 2012, 09:25:34 PM

this image:

FWIW, when I saw this image, which I'm seeing for the first time, it actually reminded me of Stanley from The Office.  Mostly because of the expression on his face.  I can totally picture that character on The Office making this kind of sarcastic gesture after Dwight goes on some self-important screed. 

Cynicism is a blank check for failure.

Golden Applesauce

My only objection to the community-controlled branding is that I don't want my brand controlled by the community.  Putting on a Guy Fawkes mask while protesting links your protest's brand to all the other protests using that mask - what happens if it's used by total losers?  I don't want to have to explain, "Yeah, I used to go protesting in one of those masks, but that was before they got picked up by the white power movement."
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Q. G. Pennyworth

Quote from: Golden Applesauce on January 31, 2012, 07:02:43 PM
My only objection to the community-controlled branding is that I don't want my brand controlled by the community.  Putting on a Guy Fawkes mask while protesting links your protest's brand to all the other protests using that mask - what happens if it's used by total losers?  I don't want to have to explain, "Yeah, I used to go protesting in one of those masks, but that was before they got picked up by the white power movement."

It helps if you're comfortable with being branded as a bad guy.

Cramulus

a piece of IP owned by a community is a lot more flexible. The community doesn't have the legal authority to tell you how to use a symbol. Unlike Mickey Mouse, for example.

Or another example: Disney is largely responsible for the "Princess" brand (relating to young females). If you want to be a princess, there a ton of products and ideas for you to build a self from. And you can express that yourself in your own unique way, but you do not have the freedom to use the established iconography in new ways. You can't sell a shirt with Sleeping Beauty as Rosie the Riveter, for example. Sleeping Beauty (as a product) can only be used to express ideas Disney approves of.

They've even had Mickey Mouse taken out of elementary school classrooms. Why? Because they think the Mickey brand will be diluted if people see Mickey outside of the Disney-approved setting, or use Mickey to promote something undisney-like. That, IMO, makes Disney a limiting thing to build into your identity.

Guy Fawkes mask --- sure, anybody can use it to mean anything. And you might not like that association, but at least you're not a walking billboard for a specific product.

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on January 31, 2012, 07:34:05 PM

a piece of IP owned by a community is a lot more flexible. The community doesn't have the legal authority to tell you how to use a symbol. Unlike Mickey Mouse, for example.

Allow me to introduce you to someone:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tragedy_of_the_commons
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cramulus

I'm a bit dense, can you explain how the tragedy of the commons relates to my point about preferring community-owned brands to privately-owned brands?

Are you saying I should be referring to "open access resources" instead of "common property"?

The Good Reverend Roger

Quote from: Cramulus on January 31, 2012, 07:51:20 PM
I'm a bit dense, can you explain how the tragedy of the commons relates to my point about preferring community-owned brands to privately-owned brands?

Are you saying I should be referring to "open access resources" instead of "common property"?

1.  Because someone in the community will somehow find a way to fuck it up for everyone.  This is an immutable law of mankind that dooms communism, libertarianism, and any sort of shared property set up.

2.  Yeah, that's probably a more workable idea.  When people hear "common property", they immediately turn into the very worst sort of monkey, to beat the rest to the punch.
" It's just that Depeche Mode were a bunch of optimistic loveburgers."
- TGRR, shaming himself forever, 7/8/2017

"Billy, when I say that ethics is our number one priority and safety is also our number one priority, you should take that to mean exactly what I said. Also quality. That's our number one priority as well. Don't look at me that way, you're in the corporate world now and this is how it works."
- TGRR, raising the bar at work.

Cramulus

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on January 31, 2012, 07:54:18 PM
Quote from: Cramulus on January 31, 2012, 07:51:20 PM

1.  Because someone in the community will somehow find a way to fuck it up for everyone.  This is an immutable law of mankind that dooms communism, libertarianism, and any sort of shared property set up.

Hmm, anything invented by a community will be fucked up. Very well....
           ------To the Apple store!
                \

Quote from: Cramulus on January 31, 2012, 07:51:20 PMAre you saying I should be referring to "open access resources" instead of "common property"?
2.  Yeah, that's probably a more workable idea.  When people hear "common property", they immediately turn into the very worst sort of monkey, to beat the rest to the punch.

good point, will keep that in mind

Faust

Does it? Check out the Polish Ministery.

This has now been used by fringe groups and their polar opposites. When politicians start wearing it the context changes.
Sleepless nights at the chateau

minuspace

I think it challenges my way of thinking, however, it does not change the facts:  everyone's behind some dead-guys head, corner pocket.

ethanfoster

Branding today is very important, once you have a product and without its unique name, then you likely to forget your business. Imagine of those big brands today, those top players in the market, they are now part of human history, but they also started out from nothing, struggles and failures. But those failures have made them anew, learning many aspects of business naming and agendas, they stands to what they are confident with and now, this 21st century, they still exist. That is only part of business branding, facing difficulties and knows how to deals with it.

Junkenstein

Quote from: ethanfoster on March 19, 2017, 11:18:21 PM
Branding today is very important, once you have a product and without its unique name, then you likely to forget your business. Imagine of those big brands today, those top players in the market, they are now part of human history, but they also started out from nothing, struggles and failures. But those failures have made them anew, learning many aspects of business naming and agendas, they stands to what they are confident with and now, this 21st century, they still exist. That is only part of business branding, facing difficulties and knows how to deals with it.

Which businesses are you thinking about here? surviving 16C ones? 19C?
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

minuspace

Yeah, and if I reserve copyright, can anyone explain to me how I can add additional fair-use CC attribution?  I mean, given that I may, how does the legislation intercede when owner discovers, for example, non-attributed use of IP for commercial purposes, or something else that would however violate "fair-use"?  Just thinking about it makes me want to dismiss all copyright, unless the gods of legalese have somehow figured all this out? (actually asking)

Junkenstein

Quote from: Q. G. Pennyworth on January 31, 2012, 07:05:47 PM

It helps if you're comfortable with being branded as a bad guy.

Again, the bold, Marginalia etc.
Nine naked Men just walking down the road will cause a heap of trouble for all concerned.

thelifeofapanca

old thread I know but a very interesting thought! Thanks!