News:

Licenced Jenkem provider since 2007

Main Menu

Discordian Derive

Started by Cramulus, September 01, 2010, 05:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cramulus

Psychogeography - the idea that you can influence the city's culture by playing with its geography. Project POSTERGASM is a part of this. I thought, let's take the stuff you expect to see and replace it with a joke you didn't expect to see. The people walking around in this area will be influenced by humor and fun, playfully inserted where you'd expect an ad or a missing cat poster.

Dérive - the Derive is the act of wandering around, drifting from place to place, getting into adventures. In order to do it, you can't be in the mindset of "I'm on an errand" or "I'm on my way to the local coffee shop to read for 30 minutes." If you embrace the unexpected, and are willing to take chances, you'll end up in some really cool situations.

There should be a word which links these two ideas and Discordianism.

ITT we discuss What is the Discordian derive? What kinds of things might you do on a Discordian Derive? What actions and attitudes will help you get into fun adventures? If you're new to a city, what can you do to get right into the heart of it? How can you really experience a city's various facets on a short budget?

We are coming up with a new take on this activity, it's okay to get weird with it.

Eater of Clowns

This was largely my tactic for touring San Francisco, I wandered where looked interesting with only vague ideas of what to do.  I think just even attempting to do this tends to skew people's perspective briefly, as they tend to notice others who aren't focused on being somewhere else.  If you find someone interested, they have a natural curiosity not much different from the one you're expressing.  Tell them what you're doing.  I've found they consider it as an option that's never occurred to them before.

What I'm reading here though is those two things don't necessarily work together.  If you've on a derive, you want to look open to new experiences, almost inviting them to happen.  If you're on a GASM, don't you want to avoid notice, meaning looking as busy or natural as possible?
Quote from: Pippa Twiddleton on December 22, 2012, 01:06:36 AM
EoC, you are the bane of my existence.

Quote from: The Good Reverend Roger on March 07, 2014, 01:18:23 AM
EoC doesn't make creepy.

EoC makes creepy worse.

the afflicted persons get hold of and consume carrots even in socially quite unacceptable situations.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Eater of Clowns on September 01, 2010, 07:14:45 PM
What I'm reading here though is those two things don't necessarily work together.  If you've on a derive, you want to look open to new experiences, almost inviting them to happen.  If you're on a GASM, don't you want to avoid notice, meaning looking as busy or natural as possible?

That depends on how legal or accepted the thing is that you're doing.

All a GASM is, is a Discordian call for help with a Golden Apple Seed Mission. For example, if your GASM would (partly) be along the lines of something Safari-esque, it's natural enough to get your surroundings involved.

On the other hand, I dunno if it's still strictly a Derive, if you're on a Golden Apple Seed Mission, because the aimlessness is somewhat part of a Derive, isn't it?

Maybe not strictly, but in a practical sense, relating to the experience, I can't see much of a problem with putting up posters, stickering, handing out flyers, or even doing some kind of fun improv pranking going together with getting into unexpected adventures.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

the last yatto

most cities don't have ordinates against postergasm only if you use paste. Avoid well traveled streets if your putting up memebombs I guess.

Going on a Safari and being a tourists are similar roles and camera wouldn't be too out of place with a Hawaiian shirt
Look, asshole:  Your 'incomprehensible' act, your word-salad, your pinealism...It BORES ME.  I've been incomprehensible for so long, I TEACH IT TO MBA CANDIDATES.  So if you simply MUST talk about your pineal gland or happy children dancing in the wildflowers, go talk to Roger, because he digs that kind of shit

the other anonymous

The derive always seemed like a bad idea to me.

Or maybe it's because I just watched Falling Down again and the scene where the two guys try to rob D-Fens is still fresh in my mind, trying to inspire i'm-not-a-rascist rascism (y'know, the kind based on fear instead of hate).

Either way, I'd like to see a Google Crime Map so I know where to "randomly" walk.

-toa,
has a love-hate relationship with his reclusive lifestyle

PopeTom

Quote from: the other anonymous on September 06, 2010, 06:24:39 PM

Either way, I'd like to see a Google Crime Map so I know where to "randomly" walk.

http://www.crimereports.com/

Now get the hell out of the house.
-PopeTom

I am the result of 13.75 ± 0.13 billion years of random chance. Now that I exist I see no reason to start planning and organizing everything in my life.

Random dumb luck got me here, random dumb luck will get me to where I'm going.

Hail Eris!

the other anonymous

Quote from: PopeTom on September 06, 2010, 10:40:59 PM
Quote from: the other anonymous on September 06, 2010, 06:24:39 PM

http://www.crimereports.com/

Now get the hell out of the house.

But I liked my excuses! :(

Brotep

Ideally there would be multiple groups out there, leaving breadcrumbs for each other.

Mind, this can happen on its own--which is the best way. Wandering around campus one night, a friend and I discovered somebody had placed a fishing pole in the hand of a well-known local statue seated on a bench, with an envelope and a card. We replaced it so others could find it, too.

Another time we drew a magic circle with divine and demonic names in one spot, chalk-traced the shadows of the bikes on the rack in another, and made lizards out of clay, which we put on and around a door handle.

dontblameyoko

BBBBP
PPBLL ~Ted Kennedy as a baby (http://beatonna.livejournal.com/116931.html)
"ty7h hg uh nmcx,m cv8t gygj jg" ~another baby

Brotep

something about how you should take this fishing pole and tacklebox and use them, because that's what life is all about

it was signed with a heart and the name of the man who the statue is of

ñͤͣ̄ͦ̌̑͗͊͛͂͗ ̸̨̨̣̺̼̣̜͙͈͕̮̊̈́̈͂͛̽͊ͭ̓͆ͅé ̰̓̓́ͯ́́͞

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 07, 2010, 12:49:07 AM
Another time we drew a magic circle with divine and demonic names in one spot, chalk-traced the shadows of the bikes on the rack in another, and made lizards out of clay, which we put on and around a door handle.

Good stuff.

Sculpture graffiti is an under-utilized form...
P E R   A S P E R A   A D   A S T R A

Brotep

Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on September 07, 2010, 10:12:25 AM

Good stuff.

It's true. The lizards (my friends' idea) were clever. But I have to say that putting the fishing pole in the hand of the statue (other random people) was a brilliant if small and specific psychogeographic redefinition.

You don't need months of effort to do great things. Sometimes a well-placed fishing pole, bow tie, mustache, or chair is all you need.

The Great Pope of OUTSIDE

Psychogeography and derive are two different things, and I doubt you could come up with a word that would combine them BOTH to Discordianism.

However, in a very real way I think one will lead to the other and vice versa, and both are necessary for Discordianism.
There are times when I imagine God laughing until it cries, shouting, "I am going to fuck ALL your minds over, and you're going to pay me for it!"

Placid Dingo

Quote from: Aleister Growly on September 07, 2010, 11:18:47 PM
Quote from: Ne+@uNGr0+ on September 07, 2010, 10:12:25 AM

Good stuff.

It's true. The lizards (my friends' idea) were clever. But I have to say that putting the fishing pole in the hand of the statue (other random people) was a brilliant if small and specific psychogeographic redefinition.

You don't need months of effort to do great things. Sometimes a well-placed fishing pole, bow tie, mustache, or chair is all you need.

There's a Banksy quote along those lines; like you can spend thousands on a marble sculpure, put it in the centre of town and nobody sees it. Add a drunken idiot with a road cone to the equation however...
Haven't paid rent since 2014 with ONE WEIRD TRICK.