News:

Bigotry is abound, apprently, within these boards.  There is a level of supposed tolerance I will have no part of.  Obviously, it seems to be well-embraced here.  I have finally found something more fucked up than what I'm used to.  Congrats. - Ruby

Main Menu

CDGASM

Started by Nephew Twiddleton, September 01, 2010, 06:29:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don Coyote

Place a weblink to PD.com. If person comes here and posts that they got a CD then it worked?

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Cudgel on September 02, 2010, 03:30:48 AM
Place a weblink to PD.com. If person comes here and posts that they got a CD then it worked?

I like that. Like in the introductions forum, How did you come to Eris: I found a fucking CD on the MBTA.

Again, I like that.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: Triple Zero on September 01, 2010, 09:41:51 PM
Quote from: Doktor Blight on September 01, 2010, 06:55:32 PM
I was wondering about the multimedia angle and how it would fare along with audio tracks. Probably would come like an enhanced CD, or maybe we would put it on a DVD for more data space if it got too big.

From a technical point of view that will work fine. You can burn audio tracks on a CD as well as binary data on the same disc. If you insert it into a computer you'll see the files (as well as the tracks, probably), and in a CD player it'll just play the audio. Only the very oldest CD player models might not be able to play a mixed data/music CD, but those would be over 20 years old, so don't worry about that.

The one snag with that though is suspicion of computer viruses, though curiosity might override that.

Good point! When you insert a CD into a windows computer, you get this popup window that asks "what do you want to do with this CD? Open it as a folder/play it as audio/etc" as soon as you got that window, it means it would have executed any AUTORUN.INF file in the root folder of the CD (except for the few paranoid that disable this "feature")

That's my worry. An audio only CD is innocuous enough. Something with extra stuff might set off alarm bells and not have them open it at all.

QuoteQuestion is, what do we want that AUTORUN file to do? ;-)

You're the computer guy, you tell me.

I disavow all knowledge of said CD if that is how we go, btw.

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Could there be some kind of website or a page on one of your sites/wikis whatever that people who read/listen to the CD go to and leave a note or click a button or whatever?

"Thanks for listening to and reading all this crazy shit. Choose your posters from the provided PDF.s and decorate your town's telephone poles.
Take pictures and post to Flickr.

Also, for your chance to win a free car* please go to http://www.principiawikiwhatever.com/CDGasmParticipants and choose one of the available options.

*No car will actually be awarded but maybe Eris will smile on you."

ETA: The site didn't load page two until after I'd already posted a comment. Disregard repetitiveness. I thought it was just TCC that was slow as fuck. But no, no, it's the entire internets. Sorry.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIR™
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Triple Zero

Quote from: Doktor Blight on September 02, 2010, 06:03:15 AM
That's my worry. An audio only CD is innocuous enough. Something with extra stuff might set off alarm bells and not have them open it at all.

's true. though you need to insert it to see there's extra stuff on. and once you do, the AUTORUN already runs (unless you disabled this default setting--like I would advise anyone to do, IIRC you can find it in that long-ass list of checkboxes in your File Exporer menu Extra > Folder Options, but I could be wrong I'm not in Windows right now to check)

QuoteQuestion is, what do we want that AUTORUN file to do? ;-)

You're the computer guy, you tell me.

I disavow all knowledge of said CD if that is how we go, btw.

Hehehehehe I was (sort of) kidding, of course.

However, there's one fairly innocent thing it can do, such as automatically opening a webpage, in order to measure the success of the outcome.
Ex-Soviet Bloc Sexual Attack Swede of Tomorrow™
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

INFORMATION SO POWERFUL, YOU ACTUALLY NEED LESS.

Dalek

How about we make it like a pretty long video with some weird looking guy from the forum talking to the viewer often iterupted by different weird images, other people, random stuff, music etc.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: curiosity on September 02, 2010, 11:47:44 AM
Could there be some kind of website or a page on one of your sites/wikis whatever that people who read/listen to the CD go to and leave a note or click a button or whatever?

"Thanks for listening to and reading all this crazy shit. Choose your posters from the provided PDF.s and decorate your town's telephone poles.
Take pictures and post to Flickr.

Also, for your chance to win a free car* please go to http://www.principiawikiwhatever.com/CDGasmParticipants and choose one of the available options.

*No car will actually be awarded but maybe Eris will smile on you."

ETA: The site didn't load page two until after I'd already posted a comment. Disregard repetitiveness. I thought it was just TCC that was slow as fuck. But no, no, it's the entire internets. Sorry.

I like that idea-we should set up some sort of way to measure the amount of people it reaches.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: DALEKK on September 02, 2010, 02:02:04 PM
How about we make it like a pretty long video with some weird looking guy from the forum talking to the viewer often iterupted by different weird images, other people, random stuff, music etc.

That's a good one too, would you like to volunteer for that?
Not to say that you're weird looking but you could probably get some odd looking costume together.

Dalek

I would but my pronounciation is sucky, which will only make for a weirder video when you think about it, but also my voice is really annoying.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: DALEKK on September 02, 2010, 07:53:34 PM
I would but my pronounciation is sucky, which will only make for a weirder video when you think about it, but also my voice is really annoying.

I hear that, but it might be cool to have someone with a strong Bulgarian accent on it. A little jarring for American ears. On the other hand, you could make a Bulgarian version of it and translate the content and narrate it yourself.

Iron Sulfide

Quote from: Doktor Blight on September 02, 2010, 07:57:37 PM
Quote from: DALEKK on September 02, 2010, 07:53:34 PM

I hear that, but it might be cool to have someone with a strong Bulgarian accent on it. A little jarring for American ears. On the other hand, you could make a Bulgarian version of it and translate the content and narrate it yourself.

Subtitles.

Also, if including the PDFs, et al, I propose an audio track explaining all the contents in a spoof of Mission Impossible's briefing tapes. "You're mission, should you choose to accept it, will be to blah blah...", "This message will self destruct if ejected...", et cetera. what would be even cooler (Looking at you, 000) is if the message audio file could also become inaccessible if ejected. :lulz:
Ya' stupid Yank.

Nephew Twiddleton

Triple Zero

Quote from: Iron Sulfide on September 02, 2010, 08:14:34 PM
Also, if including the PDFs, et al, I propose an audio track explaining all the contents in a spoof of Mission Impossible's briefing tapes. "You're mission, should you choose to accept it, will be to blah blah...", "This message will self destruct if ejected...", et cetera. what would be even cooler (Looking at you, 000) is if the message audio file could also become inaccessible if ejected. :lulz:

that's kind of hard to do, as far as erasing the tracks goes, it's a write-once medium, so you'd need to physically damage the CD.

while there might be some crazy hack that could fuck up a CD when it's in the drive, I don't know it, and if it's possible it might damage the drive itself, too :)
e-prime disclaimer: let it seem fairly unclear I understand the apparent subjectivity of the above statements. maybe.

Iron Sulfide

Quote from: Triple Zero on September 03, 2010, 12:01:33 AM
Quote from: Iron Sulfide on September 02, 2010, 08:14:34 PM

that's kind of hard to do, as far as erasing the tracks goes, it's a write-once medium, so you'd need to physically damage the CD.

while there might be some crazy hack that could fuck up a CD when it's in the drive, I don't know it, and if it's possible it might damage the drive itself, too :)

[tangent]I remember reading in the anarchist's cookbook long ago that you could glue crushed up match heads to the disk in the old floppys, which would ignite if used. I never tried it out.[/tangent]

would it be possible if we used a CD-RW? or to make an autorun file that changes the file extension after it's played, making it inaccessible?
Ya' stupid Yank.

Triple Zero

Maybe. But probably not worth the effort. Let's focus on music, video and possibly text.