News:

Don't get me wrong, I greatly appreciate the fact that you're at least putting effort into sincerely arguing your points. It's an argument I've enjoyed having. It's just that your points are wrong and your reasons for thinking they're right are stupid.

Main Menu

tears are welling in my eyes again

Started by Sepia, September 02, 2010, 04:36:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sepia

It's all right. We move in the shadows as we treat those who were once friends as something less and I grow distant because still in my heart I believed there could be a place where utopia would be strived for but then I grew aware of my surroundings and I was still flipping burgers at macdonalds as a social experiment when I realized it was my life.

It's all right, what they'll tell you. Every story whether you can't associate with it or understand its' logic, it's true. All lies are true, everything everyone ever told you is true but it is theirs and interpretation was never very interesting in school. Twenty big buckets to catch them in, twenty deep holes to bury them in. What we say never had anything for it, it was always the way we said it, the emotions we projected.

If every word you heard had been a lie, would it have mattered, would you have done something else than watching daytime tv smoking that nice bong you spent half of your last welfare check on, would anything be different in the way you think of the world, would your beliefs matter? Do they? Don't you find religion to be something more personal rather than science, based upon humans instead of human laws. If you have faith in science I think you're doing it wrong and what does it matter what happens between you and your god

ganesha
glycon
cthulhu

Everyone will always be too late

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Cramulus

your second sentence hit me in just the right spot

I love the sudden clarity of realizing that this is YOUR life and god fucking damn it you're going to make it all the utopia you can. I dig it so hard.

QuoteIf every word you heard had been a lie, would it have mattered,

I had this dream once, probably from watching the movie Waking Life too many times in a row, in which I was talking to this dream character

and I became a little bit conscious that this was my dream

and I said to her "What does it feel like to be a character in a dream?"

and she said "Oh so you figured out that you're dreaming."

"Yeah," I said.

and she was frustrated, "So what?" she asked, "So are you going to start flying or shooting everybody or whatever? Are you going to treat this like it doesn't mean anything, like this is just a ride for you?"

I guess this is a property of human psychology. We can't treat two worlds as real at once. It's difficult to resolve science and religion - I resolve it by realizing that they serve different functions, and one can't be any more "right" than the other than Algebra can be "real". It's something we created to describe certain things and answer certain questions. Take only what you need from it.

Epimetheus

Quote from: Cramulus on September 02, 2010, 07:19:07 PM
It's difficult to resolve science and religion - I resolve it by realizing that they serve different functions, and one can't be any more "right" than the other than Algebra can be "real". It's something we created to describe certain things and answer certain questions. Take only what you need from it.

Interesting conclusion. And I think I saw you discuss it somewhere else on the forum. But I suppose my view is more like
Quote from: http://reference.bahai.org/en/t/c/SCH/sch-49.htmlThere is, and can be, no conflict between true religion and true science
POST-SINGULARITY POCKET ORGASM TOAD OF RIGHTEOUSNESS

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: Epimetheus on September 04, 2010, 01:55:13 AM
Quote from: Cramulus on September 02, 2010, 07:19:07 PM
It's difficult to resolve science and religion - I resolve it by realizing that they serve different functions, and one can't be any more "right" than the other than Algebra can be "real". It's something we created to describe certain things and answer certain questions. Take only what you need from it.

Interesting conclusion. And I think I saw you discuss it somewhere else on the forum. But I suppose my view is more like
Quote from: http://reference.bahai.org/en/t/c/SCH/sch-49.htmlThere is, and can be, no conflict between true religion and true science

Yeah. I think science and religion are two parts of a much larger picture that will most likely end up being inconsequential to every day life.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Brotep

Quote from: Epimetheus on September 04, 2010, 01:55:13 AM

Heh...Comprehendeth. Oh, you gotta love the Baha'i.

I can't say I disagree with the line, but I find the block of text in which it is situated dubious. Religion will never be a scientific endeavor because they are definitionally irrelevant to one another. Yes, neurology and psychology can inform your techniques of self-discipline, but even science-inspired nature awe has nothing to do with the core of what science is. (It may have something to do with the core of what a scientist is, but that's another matter.)

Science means looking outward. Religion, at its best, means looking inward. Of course you won't see the same things.