News:

Testimonial: "This board is everything that's fucking wrong with the internet"

Main Menu

ANOTHER exploding rig in the gulf

Started by Disco Pickle, September 02, 2010, 05:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

East Coast Hustle

update: It turns out that my friend had left the rig the day before yesterday when the relief rotation arrived. So he wasn't there for the explosion. Also, everyone that was on the rig is safe and accounted for.
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypse™

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Don Coyote

eighteen buddha strike

While I'm quite pleased you could enlighten us on this, I do think this may verge on KYFMS territory, but I tend to be a shifty eyed paranoia freak when it comes to that.

East Coast Hustle

Nah, I didn't divulge any of the details that might get me reprimanded. I'm pretty conscious of what my boundaries are in this job, and I adhere to them rigidly.

It is fun to dance around the edges, though.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

East Coast Hustle

also, in this case, since the information has nothing to do with my job a reprimand is all it would earn me.

Payne

Quote from: Exit City Hustle on September 02, 2010, 08:13:51 PM
It couldn't be planned for because it had literally NEVER happened before. There was no human error or lapses in maintenance or manufacturing defects involved. And the people that died in the explosion did so because once they realized what was happening, they had to make a choice between getting themselves out right then and there or taking a few seconds to warn the rest of the rig's crew and try to stop the explosion from spreading any further. Everyone that survived on Deepwater Horizon owes their lives to the people who died, quite literally.

This is pretty much what I've always thought of the DH thing (though without any evidence or insider information) - that it was Black Swan territory, and all the bullshit bad luck lined up and gave everyone one hefty kick in the pants.

Good to hear your friend is okay, dude.