News:

Bigotry is abound, apprently, within these boards.  There is a level of supposed tolerance I will have no part of.  Obviously, it seems to be well-embraced here.  I have finally found something more fucked up than what I'm used to.  Congrats. - Ruby

Main Menu

The Kaousuu Weather Network: Hurricane Earl

Started by Suu, August 30, 2010, 02:10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cardinal Pizza Deliverance.

Quote from: Doktor Alphapance on September 03, 2010, 09:51:04 PM
An olympic martial artist-air force pilot-period seamstress-meteorologist

It all makes perfect sense now.

I am now afraid of Doktor Princess.
Weevil-Infested Badfun Wrongsex Referee From The 9th Earth
Slick and Deranged Wombat of Manhood Questioning
Hulking Dormouse of Lust and DESPAIRâ„¢
Gatling Geyser of Rainbow AIDS

"The only way we can ever change anything is to look in the mirror and find no enemy." - Akala  'Find No Enemy'.

Bebek Sincap Ratatosk

Quote from: curiosity on September 03, 2010, 09:59:52 PM

You should be. I've seen her swing a sword.
- I don't see race. I just see cars going around in a circle.

"Back in my day, crazy meant something. Now everyone is crazy" - Charlie Manson

Telarus

Quote from: Ratatosk on September 03, 2010, 10:00:51 PM
Quote from: curiosity on September 03, 2010, 09:59:52 PM

You should be. I've seen her swing a sword.

:link:
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

Suu

I had to drop the meteorology cause I couldn't hack the maths...that and it was ruining my love of storms. I *DID* however, get to go on a tornado chase before I dropped out.
Sovereign Episkopos-Princess Kaousuu; Esq., Battle Nun, Bene Gesserit.
Our Lady of Perpetual Confusion; 1st Church of Discordia

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Suu

Also, I am now in Warren. On my way here I passed over several parts of Narragansett Bay. The yuppies in Barrington have yet to take their sailboats even off of the moorings whereas all the boats in Warren are now tied down or dry-docked...I'mma hear some yelping tomorrow.

Apparently people here just don't watch the news, because they heard "Hurricane on Friday" and thought the sprinkles we're getting from the feeder bands is it. Boy, good thing this ISN'T a category 4, because I'd be the only person alive tomorrow.

I'm telling you though...when we DO get that big one, I will be fucking worshiped.

"Add a dab of lavender to milk, leave town with an orange, and pretend you're laughing at it."

Sir Squid Diddimus

Quote from: Doktor Princess on September 03, 2010, 11:05:05 PM
Also, I am now in Warren. On my way here I passed over several parts of Narragansett Bay. The yuppies in Barrington have yet to take their sailboats even off of the moorings whereas all the boats in Warren are now tied down or dry-docked...I'mma hear some yelping tomorrow.

Apparently people here just don't watch the news, because they heard "Hurricane on Friday" and thought the sprinkles we're getting from the feeder bands is it. Boy, good thing this ISN'T a category 4, because I'd be the only person alive tomorrow.

I'm telling you though...when we DO get that big one, I will be fucking worshiped. The only human left alive in Providence.

fixt

Suu

Suu

Well, since this thing is still 6 hours out, we've decided to do the only logical thing, and that's brew alcohol.

Suu

Weird storm is weird. It's very quiet. I have my window open and I'm listening to the wind build. Not a lot of rain. This reminds me of the Gulf flybys we'd get that would put 5ft of Tampa Bay into our backyard.

Suu

Okay, as of about 1am we had some really good winds come through, definitely tropical storm force, but still very light on the rain. ECH was right when he said the storm didn't carry a lot of water.

Minimal debris around, typical for 45-50kt winds.

Weather has now completely cleared and it's, of course, amazing outside. We're still getting some good gusts. No word on the storm surge yet, which is really the only thing RI cares about.

I've been going over some of my notes from different storms I've been through, the mentality between Florida, Carolina, and New England as strike zones, etc. It's nothing new, but I guess from eyewitness accounts of behavior and such it's remarkable.

Floridians care more about flooding and airbourne debris whereas Carolinians and New Englanders worry more about beach erosion, for example. Geologically it makes perfect sense though.

Sir Squid Diddimus

Our erosion isn't usually that bad. We have big beaches.
However one of those things did take a good chunk out of A1A one year. But it wasn't really that big a deal.
I worry more about trees coming down on houses. That seems to be the most common thing when they come around.
Charlie took a lot of roofs and the insurance companies weren't too happy when they had to pay out. State Farm pulled out, and most companies expect extra for storm/flood coverage. In fact it's a completely different policy. Sucky.

Suu

Well, it WAS only A1A...

And if insurance companies don't expect to pay out, then well...they shouldn't be in business. You cover high-risk areas, it's to be fucking expected.

Beach erosion is scary up here since it's like 70% cliffs and dunes with houses built on them...but the houses were built a 100 years ago. I know the Montauk Point Lighthouse is running out of room.

East Coast Hustle

every time I read "A1A", goddamn Vanilla Ice pops into my head yelling "Beachfront Avenue!".
Rabid Colostomy Hole Jammer of the Coming Apocalypseâ„¢

The Devil is in the details; God is in the nuance.

Some yahoo yelled at me, saying 'GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH', and I thought, "I'm feeling generous today.  Why not BOTH?"

Suu

Providence appears to have gotten a good hit. My roof leaked and there was obvious loss of power.