News:

PD.com: our ability to recall your stupidity makes elephants look like Alzheimer's patients.

Main Menu

SNTA GASM

Started by rong, September 03, 2010, 09:48:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rong

Hey PD,

a while back, i got drunk and thought i'd see what it was like hanging out here whilst drunk.  i didn't have very much fun and decided i wasn't coming back here anymore. 

but the crushing boredom of nightshift kept bringing me back.  so i resigned myself to be a lurker.

however, it seems the forum is in a high state of creativity right now (i think it has something to do with the approaching winter, but that's another discussion)

anyhow, i've been feeling pretty creatively inspired by a lot of the threads going on around here lately. while i was reading the CD GASM* thread, i had an idea to do something similar.

i realized that i keep coming back here because you guys talk about the stuff that nobody talks about, so i present:

SNTA GASM

how it works:

if you want to play: record a spoken audio clip where you talk about something (or things) that nobody talks about.  the "nobody" here is people outside the forum, of course.  so, you know - things that aren't sports, the weather, politics, etc.  i'm sure there's something bouncing around in your head that you think is pretty amazing or awesome, but nobody talks about it.  or, if that doesn't work, you could talk about why nobody talks about those things.  spice it up with a little background music if you like, but try to keep the focus on the narrator.  also, i think it would be appropriate to record as though the listener has never heard of discordianism and isn't familiar with the lexicon.

once you have something recorded, shoot me a PM and I will provide you an email address where you can send the audio file.  (.mp3 or .wav)

when i have either a)received enough submissions to fill a CD or b)the deadline of 10/31/10 has been reached, i will post here that i'm no longer accepting submissions (unless i get such an abundance of submissions to warrant multiple CDs, but lets worry about that later)

it is assumed that all submissions are copyleft and intended to be duplicated and distributed.

after i have compiled all the submissions into a CD, i will post in this thread that the CD is ready for distribution.  Anyone interested in a copy can then send me a PM and I will provide an address to which they can send a blank audio CD inside a self addressed stamped envelope and I will copy the files onto the CD and send it back to you to listen to, enjoy, copy and distribute.

*i liked the CD GASM idea very much, it was the "what if people are afraid of viruses?" thought that got me thinking audio - i don't think you can give a CD player a virus. . .
"a real smart feller, he felt smart"

Telarus

Find something like PowerISO or DeamonTools (sp?), and make a 'virtual CD' that can be uploaded somewhere. People interested in distributing can then burn their own hard copy.
Telarus, KSC,
.__.  Keeper of the Contradictory Cephalopod, Zenarchist Swordsman,
(0o)  Tender to the Edible Zen Garden, Ratcheting Metallic Sex Doll of The End Times,
/||\   Episkopos of the Amorphous Dreams Cabal

Join the Doll Underground! Experience the Phantasmagorical Safari!

rong

i agree that creating a virtual CD that can be downloaded will cause the recordings to be more widely distributed, but i think it would also cause the recordings remain mainly online and not so much in "the real world"

my goal was to get the recordings off the internet and into "meatspace" as soon as possible as i think that is where the most impact will be made.

to me, the appeal of things like postergasm is that they are WTF in real life instead of on the internet. i think WTF on the internet has very little impact compared to real life WTF.

i envisioned leaving copies of the CD at truck stops and gas stations with "on a road trip? bored? take this free CD" printed on them.  maybe an email address to respond to with feedback or something.

again, not that i'm opposed to publishing a virtual CD (not that i know what PowerISO or DeamonTools (sp?) actually are and if they're free or not, nor do i know where to upload it to), but i think doing so would be akin to publishing rants on youtube.

Stelpa

This is what The Books' albums are for :P

Seriously, I like the idea, and despite my nerdy 15 year old voice, I will submit something if a few others will  :wink:

Nephew Twiddleton

Willing to contribute something eventually if I don't miss the deadline, but naturally, I'll want to focus my energies on CDGASM fisrt.
Strange and Terrible Organ Laminator of Yesterday's Heavy Scene
Sentence or sentence fragment pending

Soy El Vaquero Peludo de Oro

TIM AM I, PRIMARY OF THE EXTRA-ATMOSPHERIC SIMIANS

Nast

This sounds like fun, I may just decide to do it and bore you all with a 15 minute section of me talking about flowers or macarons or something.
"If I owned Goodwill, no charity worker would feel safe.  I would sit in my office behind a massive pile of cocaine, racking my pistol's slide every time the cleaning lady came near.  Auditors, I'd just shoot."

rong

glad to see some interest and i genuinely hope something becomes of this.

it might be good if someone wanted to record and introduction to explain what this is all about and how it came to be and/or an outro-duction to either direct people here or to send an email to stuffnobodytalksabout at gmail.com   (i took the liberty of creating said email address).

i think i might bounce this idea off a few other forums and see if i get any interest, i encourage you to do the same and if you do, to either point them to this thread or send an email to stuffnobodytalksabout at gmail.com

President Television

I would love to participate if I had a working microphone.
Though I suspect that my sound card is actually the problem.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

rong

a speaker can be used as a microphone if you yell into it.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: rong on September 04, 2010, 04:57:58 AM
glad to see some interest and i genuinely hope something becomes of this.

it might be good if someone wanted to record and introduction to explain what this is all about and how it came to be and/or an outro-duction to either direct people here or to send an email to stuffnobodytalksabout at gmail.com   (i took the liberty of creating said email address).

i think i might bounce this idea off a few other forums and see if i get any interest, i encourage you to do the same and if you do, to either point them to this thread or send an email to stuffnobodytalksabout at gmail.com

I'm in the process of tracking down my microphone (obviously I'll need it anyway). I might be able ot do this Monday night, since I think I now know where it is. But failing that I have a digital 4 track that has a built in mic, that I can run through my laptop in a pinch. (I used said 4 track as a volume/effect control a couple of hours ago for MusicGASM. Sound quality for mic might not be great but I can play around with the settings.)

Nephew Twiddleton

Guess I'll contribute to the epilogue then. If you like it, I can record it by the end of next week:

Hello. You're probably wondering what the hell you just listened to. The CD in question is the product of a collaborative effort of thinkers, stinkers, and probably a few drinkers and kinkers from a particular internet forum.  I fall under all four categories, but that's irrelevant. The purpose of this CD is to get people to add a little bit of weird to your day and to get you thinking, encourage you to talk about what's really on your mind or failing those, to at least you give you a little bit of a chuckle. Hopefully, it has accomplished all of the above, and maybe a little bit more. Maybe it inspired you. Maybe you chucked it out the car window, who knows. But on the assumption that you didn't use this disc as a Frisbee, the content of this CD may have resonated with you. If you like what you heard, and you want to hear more, feel free to check out principiadiscordia.com or email stuffnobodytalksabout@gmail.com.

Keep your eyes open, think for yourself, and have fun.

rong

love the rhyming of stinkers, thinkers, drinkers, kinkers, etc - mind if i edit what you wrote a little bit into an intro and an outro before you record it?

something like:

Intro -

Hello. You're probably wondering what the hell it is you're about to listen to. This is the product of a collaborative effort of thinkers, stinkers, and probably a few drinkers and kinkers from . . . THE INTERNET (echo would be cool here).  I happen to fall under all four categories, but that's irrelevant. We're just trying to add a little bit of weird to your day and maybe get you thinking, to encourage you to talk about what's really on your mind or failing that, to at least you give you a little bit of a chuckle. Hopefully, it will accomplished all of these, and maybe a little bit more. Maybe it will inspire you. Maybe you'll chuck it out the window, who knows. But on the assumption that you don't use this disc as a Frisbee, the content of this CD may resonate with you.

outro-

Well, that's the <burp> end.  If you liked what you heard, and you want to hear more, or tell us what you think or where to stick it, or if you wanna play along, send us an email at stuffnobodytalksabout@gmail.com or if you're really feeling brave, check out principiadiscordia.com

Keep your eyes open, and think for yourself, schmuck!

oh yeah, it would be pretty cool if you made a copy or two of this CD and gave it to someone or left it somewhere for someone to find - after all, that's how you got it.
--------

hope i didn't get to carried away with the editing - i have a hard time not doing that.

after writing this, i was thinking maybe it would be cool if every monologue started with the narrator saying, "nobody talks about _____" just to kinda tie every thing together a little bit.

Nephew Twiddleton

Quote from: rong on September 04, 2010, 07:31:59 AM
love the rhyming of stinkers, thinkers, drinkers, kinkers, etc - mind if i edit what you wrote a little bit into an intro and an outro before you record it?

Go for it

President Television

Quote from: rong on September 04, 2010, 06:50:47 AM
a speaker can be used as a microphone if you yell into it.

That won't fix my sound card.
My shit list: Stephen Harper, anarchists that complain about taxes instead of institutionalized torture, those people walking, anyone who lets a single aspect of themselves define their entire personality, salesmen that don't smoke pipes, Fredericton New Brunswick, bigots, philosophy majors, my nemesis, pirates that don't do anything, criminals without class, sociopaths, narcissists, furries, juggalos, foes.

rong

did you try yelling at it?