News:

CAN'T A BROTHER GET A LITTLE PEACE?

Main Menu

Tricky Questions: Freedom of Press & Truth in Advertising

Started by Golden Applesauce, September 05, 2010, 02:46:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Golden Applesauce

I think we pretty much all agree that a free press is a Good Thing to have in your country.  And although this hasn't come up as often, I think most people here support some kind of truth in advertising.

So what happens when the two collide?

Three hypotheticals:

I.  The Green Bean is a newspaper that advertises itself as being printed on 100% recycled paper.  It isn't.

II.  Well Informed Daily is a newspaper that advertises itself as being factually accurate and only using thoroughly checked sources... but in every issue there is at least one story that is completely, utterly, demonstrably wrong.  They invent things - terrorist bombings, local politicians, scientific advances, even restaurants to be reviewed - that simply never happened.

III.  Canid News is a newspaper that bills itself as offering fair, objective, and unbiased reporting, but by anyone else's standards they're the most rabidly partisan pseudo-news organization out there.  Problematically for this hypothetical, objectivity in reporting is itself subjective - so for IIIa suppose further that memos have been leaked that detail executives instructing editors to stick to the agenda and not go off message, or discussing how best to spin various events in favor of their mysterious agenda, etc, etc.

Which (if any) of these newspapers shouldn't be (legally) allowed to keep their advertising slogan?
Q: How regularly do you hire 8th graders?
A: We have hired a number of FORMER 8th graders.

Adios

All they have to claim if challenged is fluffery or opinion.

The Johnny

Recently i read some reference to slander legislation laws in England, for example, if you accuse or say someone was drunk at a given time, you can get sued if you cannot prove that said person was indeed drunk.

That seems like a healthy(sane) balance of "freedom of speech" and liability.

Assuming that the legal powers that be are truly impartial and unbiased: none should be able to keep their slogan.

i dont know if this might seem as crazy rambling, but im positive it makes sense, im just a bit lacking in sleep

ETA: mass media shouldnt be allowed to troll for profit - this includes  irrational fear mongering or sensationalism.
<<My image in some places, is of a monster of some kind who wants to pull a string and manipulate people. Nothing could be further from the truth. People are manipulated; I just want them to be manipulated more effectively.>>

-B.F. Skinner

BabylonHoruv

Green Bean should have to, in my opinion.  I believe a paper should be able to say whatever they like about their content, however in selling a physical product accuracy is less subjective and more important.
You're a special case, Babylon.  You are offensive even when you don't post.

Merely by being alive, you make everyone just a little more miserable

-Dok Howl

Requia ☣

Well Informed Daily sounds like a great idea.  They could advertise it, hold a contest each week and the people who managed to figure out all the fake articles get a raffle drawing for a prize.
Inflatable dolls are not recognized flotation devices.